CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED???

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey great question and my ex wife was asking today when I suggested she got a hand gun for her house but shes a legal alien from Canada with papers so I guess she can own one for the house and possible get a HCP.... COOP

I know you have to get them a copy of your Birth Certificate now since I had to pay twice and make 4 trips to the center to figure out why my mailed in renewal didn't go through last year. Which was something they added in the last 4 to 5 years since I didn't have to have it the 1st time I renewed.

You have to be a permanant resident (ie green card) to get your HCP. A work visa won't cut it. When you apply you show them your green card instead of birth certificate/passport. Getting my HCP was one of the first things I did when I got my green card. One other thing, when buying a gun, you have to prove residency for the past 90 days so bring utility bills for the last 3 months. Some places don't ask for this, but some will and it is required.

Guest Ravendove
You have to be a permanant resident (ie green card) to get your HCP. A work visa won't cut it. When you apply you show them your green card instead of birth certificate/passport. Getting my HCP was one of the first things I did when I got my green card. One other thing, when buying a gun, you have to prove residency for the past 90 days so bring utility bills for the last 3 months. Some places don't ask for this, but some will and it is required.

The green card thing is true for buying a handgun also. Not sure if it applies to rifles but I would imagine so.

The green card thing is true for buying a handgun also. Not sure if it applies to rifles but I would imagine so.

Yes, it does apply to buying any gun. There are some special circumstances where you can buy guns without a green card, but I think they have to do with hunting or something like that. I should have made that more clear in my last post.

Guest JHatmaker
Hey great question and my ex wife was asking today when I suggested she got a hand gun for her house but shes a legal alien from Canada with papers so I guess she can own one for the house and possible get a HCP.... COOP

How aboot you sell her the RIA 1911? :)

I can confirm that showing your green card and drivers license was all I was required to do when I applied on 8/17 (plus the check of course!!). Still waiting for it to show up.

On the purchase side, I just showed my DL which was issued Mid Jan of this year when we first moved in-state. That seemed to be just fine for Reloaders Bench when I bought my PX4 and Mossie 500 there in July.

Will be in the market for a nice carry gun in 9mm when it finally arrives!

Guest kingtone

I had a certain 'academy' tell me on the phone that i couldn't do my HCP unless i was a citizen when i was looking into the course. So i looked into it myself and found that i only had to be a legal resident.

I had no issues whatsoever just showing greencard and license.

Guest L Graves

FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE

. "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is

a subject.

Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety

You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

Assault is a behavior, not a device.

64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday

Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians

When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control