Polytech M-14s

Just stopped by the pawn shop and saw that he had a Polytech M-14s on the rack. The asking price was $800 and I was wondering if this is a fair price or not. I have never heard of a Polytech before, but did see China stamped below the name. Also if this is a fair price would this gun be legal for service rifle competition or not.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Froggyone2, I see you also belong to ORSA. I joined this last spring and then promptly screwed up my shoulder and wont be able to shoot until next spring. I got my bulletin yesterday and it looks like there is going to be a high power match next week. Am I reading this correctly as I would like to stop by on Saturday and watch from the firing line and the pit.

I have shot my friend's Polytech several times. They are pretty sweet and seem to be going up in price. I would check gunbroker to see what the going rate is for them.

My buddy warned me to always check the gas tube before I buy one. He said that he has seen some that have shown corrosive changes.

I have one I've been generally happy with it. I've had no problems with it yet. I bought it from my boss. It's a post ban so it's got the fake flash suppressor on it and no bayonet lug. Shoots ok, nothing to write home about though.

I'd like to change the sights out and put a national match rear and front blade on it. I would also like to change the bolt and operating rod too, but that's going to wait a bit. No funds at the present.

$800 is a decent price. That's the low end on GunBroker. They are usually around a $1000 or higher there.

• 3 weeks later...

the bolts arent the only problem with these guns. The barrels are crap as well. They are no where close to being as accruate as SA'a and wont last as long. There was a torture test in one of the gun mags several years back that showed the real SA's outshooting the Poly 10 times over, and when the bolt broke and barrel shot out they replaced those with the SA's and kept on shooting. Great read. Honestly its not a bad rifle, but it will never be a springfield without spending lots more money. I'd shop around and just get a used Springfield if I were you and money allowed.