What are you guys' thoughts on a Sig 226

Guest Grizzly Johnson

Guest Grizzly Johnson

I am looking into parting with my Taraus PT92 AFS 9mm. I was looking at the Sig 226. I have a carry permit and the fact that the 92 is so big is one of the reasons I want to switch to something else. I haven't decided which caliber to go with another 9mm or go to the 40 S&W. Any of you guys have experience with the 226?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I used to own a P226R (railed model) in .40SW and it was a great gun. It was a bit heavier than a comparably sized polymer .40SW handgun but that added weight helped compensate for the higher bore axis and related muzzle flip.

I'd like to own one again but I'd probably go with a 9mm this time. Only because I'd like one to run cheaper ammo through.

+1....Hero is spot on. The Sig226 is a great gun but it is big. Head to a gunshop and look into your options. Ease of carry is a big factor in wether or not you will consistently carry. Buy a S&W J-frame to go with whatever you decide to get.

Guest Grizzly Johnson

Well I only carry about 25% of the time. I work for a contractor at the AF Base and they do not allow any weapons inside the fence unless you have a hunting permit and are using a shotgun or muzzleloader. I was just looking at the 226 (maybe the carry model of the 226) for an all-around shooting handgun and a carry gun. I have had a revolver and really want another semi-auto. Thanks for the replies guys, keep'em comming....

I have a 226 and have shot it in competition. Really hard to beat for a full sized handgun.

But its a full sized handgun. No question about that.

There are a universe of medium and smaller sized guns out there, some of them with the SIG label on them.

I like 9mm, esp over 40. I find .40 recoils a lot and I am not sold on "superior stopping power." Choose ammo carefully and you'll never regret it.

Guest Phantom6
You shoud try to carry as much as possible. The Sig 226 is a fine weapon(as are all sigs). It is a little big though.

It's a fine weapon but so heavy that at the end of the day your britches will be dragin'.

Well I only carry about 25% of the time. I work for a contractor at the AF Base and they do not allow any weapons inside the fence

I've been to that base many times. Someone else around here has too.... :D

Yeah, the 226 is nice but heavy. Something lighter would be good, and I always recommend something flat for concealed carry.

Guest Phantom6
You guys think the elephant skin belt would be too exotic for tucking a gun into......

Wow, naked women from PETA might follow you around. Gotta get me one:D