Truck Gun Laws?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

If you mean a gun you keep in your car, you may have a loaded pistol or long gun in your car as long as you have a HCP. The long gun can not have a round in the chamber however there can be ammo in the magazine.

Guest H0TSH0T

i know in most states they want it to be unloaded, mags unloaded, ammo separate from firearm and the firearm 2 steps away, (out of reach and covered preferably in a locked case) like in a trunk of a car, but in a truck if it is in the cab should be behind the seat unloaded or in a gun rack (some states). and the ammo separate.(this was designed to keep you from using a firearm in a road rage incident to have enough steps to possibly convict on premeditated murder if used unlawfully.)

but you must also take in to consideration of where you are, some fed and state property is off limits regardless, some buildings are redistricted, LIKE some parking structures, so read the signs follow the law, and you should be ok.

now if you have a permit this changes it up your allowed to have it loaded (hand gun)if it is on your person or under your control, (like wedged in-between the seat next to your leg so it is not sat on or tucked under the seat belt.)

in tn rifles may have ammo in rifle just not in the breach, but think about it if it came down to your word vs the law the law will win, so best to have it separated, if you may have a jerky personality or if the cop does. we all know that anyone can lie.

Guest forklift

Dear Santa,

I've been a very good boy this year and I want one of those! I don't have a chimney, so you can just leave it outside and the keys in the mailbox.

Thanks,

Forklift

Guest walkingdeadman
Dear Santa,

I've been a very good boy this year and I want one of those! I don't have a chimney, so you can just leave it outside and the keys in the mailbox.

Thanks,

Forklift

+1...haha

So it IS legal to carry a handgun in the car without a HCP if you have mag in glovebox and gun in the trunk? Just want to verify so i wont get into deep ****.

correct. I don't know if it is "required" but i would clear ammunition out of the magazine just to be on the safe side :popcorn:

or.......get the HCP :tough:

It is a Class C Misdemeanor (lowest level misdemeanor) to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a license or permit in Tennessee. If caught, you will probably have your handgun confiscated and get summoned to appear to court. If convicted, you will be fined (I think max is $500) and you could lose your handgun. Tennessee calls it 'intent to go armed'....basically 'carrying a weapon' where I am from in Arkansas. I know of a couple people in Arkansas who have gotten charged by the wrong cop with carrying a weapon for not having a license and not meeting other exemptions when having a loaded pistol in a glovebox and it is a hassle.....not the end of the world...but be prepared to spend a little time and money to keep a clean record and maybe get your gun back. It is an A Misdemeanor in Arkansas...so it may be more of a hassle there than in Tennessee.

Guest bkelm18
So it IS legal to carry a handgun in the car without a HCP if you have mag in glovebox and gun in the trunk? Just want to verify so i wont get into deep ****.

Yeah, some interpret the law as even having a loaded mag as intent to go armed. You best bet is to have the gun and mags in the trunk and the ammo up front or vice versa.

No, it not okay. It is a defense that the ammunition was not in the immediate vicinity. But that statute states that the ammunition was not in the vicinity of the person or the weapon.

It is a Class C Misdemeanor (lowest level misdemeanor) to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a license or permit in Tennessee. If caught, you will probably have your handgun confiscated and get summoned to appear to court. If convicted, you will be fined (I think max is $500) and you could lose your handgun. Tennessee calls it 'intent to go armed'....basically 'carrying a weapon' where I am from in Arkansas. I know of a couple people in Arkansas who have gotten charged by the wrong cop with carrying a weapon for not having a license and not meeting other exemptions when having a loaded pistol in a glovebox and it is a hassle.....not the end of the world...but be prepared to spend a little time and money to keep a clean record and maybe get your gun back. It is an A Misdemeanor in Arkansas...so it may be more of a hassle there than in Tennessee.

It is an A misdemeanor here if you are in public with one or more person present. That includes highways.

Or if you are under the influence.

Yes, it is easier to spend the money and just get a permit in Tennessee, considering there is no other legal way here to keep a loaded handgun in your car. Other states, like Mississippi and Louisiana allow it without a license.

I could get by in Arkansas a good bit of the time carrying a loaded handgun before getting a license because I was often 'on a journey' or going to and from hunting (yes i had a hunting license and a handgun legal for what was in season)...but Tennessee does not give such exemptions for those without licenses. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle...especially on days you like to slip that handgun under a jacket and carry it in a gas station at night.

Guest bkelm18
Does anyone have the TCA or whatever ever the state puts out with exactly how we can and cannot carry a long gun in a vehicle?

http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/106/pub/pc0431.pdf

Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by

adding the following new subsection (e):

(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that a person

authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, is transporting a rifle or

shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle, and the rifle or shotgun does

not have ammunition in the chamber. However, such a person does not violate

this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is

inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to §§ 39-11-611 or 39-

11-612.