Truck Gun Laws?

I read in the Tennessee code the term "intent to go armed"

What is the exact defination of that?

I inturrpert it to mean you intend to do harm?

Or you are up to an unlawful purpose?

Can anyone clear this term up for me?

Thanks

According to the AG it is the carrying of a firearm when it is carried in a manner so as to be readily accessible and available for use in the carrying out of purposes either offensive or defensive.

If you intend to do harm or carry in the commission of a crime other statutes or sections would apply.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest logicprevails
I read in the Tennessee code the term "intent to go armed"

What is the exact defination of that?

I inturrpert it to mean you intend to do harm?

Or you are up to an unlawful purpose?

Can anyone clear this term up for me?

Thanks

Chief,

The way TCA is constructed, intent to go armed is not limited to firearms, but is directed at the intent of arming oneself with any implement capable of aggravated assault. One does not have to have intent to harm, or be engaged in otherwise unlawful activity. It is a 'defense against prosecution' under TCA to posess a permit to carry; just like it is a 'defense against prosecution' to carry on one's own property (as long as no crimes are being committed). First the 'intent to go armed' statute was implemented, then exceptions were created.

As an example of 'intent to go armed', a local LEO pulled over a young man with a bat in his truck recently on a routine traffic stop. When asked regarding the purpose of the bat, had the young man answered 'I'm going to play a ball game', there would be no charges. However, he answered 'for protection', and was charged with 'intent to go armed'.

A permit, when in posession of an loaded but unchambered truck rifle or shotgun, or a loaded and chambered handgun, would pre-empt prosecutability of the 'intent' statute.

Silly and confusing, but that's how TCA is constructed.

Guest 3pugguy
No, it not okay. It is a defense that the ammunition was not in the immediate vicinity. But that statute states that the ammunition was not in the vicinity of the person or the weapon.

Thanks for posting this, because my understanding was the same, based on what was discussed during my HCP class (and the instructor was VERY clear about it and attempts to "go around" the law).

Best, imho, to not do it until HCP in hand and if going to the range, be very very careful how you transport your guns and ammo.