Motorcycle

Guest Rugerman

Guest Rugerman

Hey all, I am looking to get my first motorcycle and really want some input. I want a bike to learn how to ride on but don't want to outgrow it too quickly. Does anybody have any recommendations? I am not much of a speed demon, by the way.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rugerman
What's your height? Weight?

Do you see yourself more towards the cruiser end of the spectrum, or the sportbike end? Or maybe right smack in the middle?

I like both, so maybe somewhere in the middle. I could see myself riding and enjoying either. I am starting out and going about this slowly, looking to buy in a month or two. I am 5'11, ~205lbs.

Harley Sportster 1200 used. Fairly agile and has a big enough motor to get you out of situations. A 250 or 500cc does not.

Not a cruiser. Not a crotch rocket. Just a motorcycle.

The vibration effect drives many ladies crazy. :D

BTW, do not have one myself but have ridden and like. My '98 Wide Glide is a whole different beast.

Whatever you decide on take a riding class! Your local dealers should know who offers them. Not only will you learn some great skills but will also satisfy the driving test for your license

Edited by Garufa

Check out the Suzuki SV650 or Yamaha FZ6. Both sportier bikes with a more upright riding position. Both are reliable bikes that can be had fairly cheaply. I will have to totally disagree with the idea of buying a 750 or bigger for your first bike if it's a sportbike. At your size a ninja 250 us going to get small fast.

Oh, I didn't realize you may be looking for a sport bike. If you do decide on one, maybe an 1100cc+ isn't a good idea. I was thinking more along the lines of a cruiser.

If you set your mind to a sport bike, even a 900 is probably more than enough. Although, you may want to talk to some guys who actually ride them. I'm a cruiser guy.

There are some folks who were more than happy to buy a 500cc-650cc as a first bike, but I know far too many that have regreted buying such a small first bike.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

For a first bike, I would buy anything over 500cc for the cheapest you can get it for. After a few months of riding and when you feel comfortable start looking for what you actually want to ride everyday, sell off the old one and buy it. I would also highly suggest a MSF course. I have been through it several times at the request of the military and it helps with the basics and learning the right way to do things. Its easier to learn correctly than to break bad habits. Just my $0.02. If you look around a lot of MSF course also provide the bike.

Edited by buck1032
I think fast than my finger type. LOL
I ride a Suzuki Boulevard 800 and it's a good bike. I started on a Suzuki 250, but it was WAY to small. In a cruiser look at at least a 650 and up.

In a sport bike a 600 is a great one to start on.

I agree as far as cruiser goes, but disagree on a sportbike.

Well, sort of disagree... I don't think anyone without a death wish should start off on a 600cc in-line 4 race replica (i.e. CBR600RR, R6, GSXR600, or ZX6R).

However there are plenty of 600cc-ish sportbikes (er, sporty anywho) that wouldn't be terrible bikes to start out on, such as a Suzuki SV650, or Kawasaki Ninja 650R. These are sporty bikes, but not race replicas like the others mentioned above that put out 100+ HP @ the rear wheel and weight 400ish pounds wet. There isn't a lot of room for error on a bike like that.

Guest AreSeeFiddyWon

Cruisers I'd say the lightest > 600cc, < 1200cc and avoid 4 speed transmissions.

'tweeners/Dual Sports: SV650, FZ6, V-Strom 650, KLR-650, Versys, DRZ-400, DR650

Sportbikes: Ninja 500, SV650, SV650S, YZF600R, VFR, Daytona 600, XB9

You really need to stop by a few dealerships that do consignment sales so you can put butt to seat. That is really the final arbiter.

Check out the Suzuki SV650 or Yamaha FZ6. Both sportier bikes with a more upright riding position. Both are reliable bikes that can be had fairly cheaply.

Both good suggestions. Also, I'd add a Suzuki Bandit 600 (or, in the last couple years a Bandit 650).

Another bike which is often overlooked, but can be found with a little looking would be a mid 90's or later Honda Nighthawk 750. They never sold too well for Honda, yet are very dependable, and are solid as a rock. The engine is truly bulletproof. :D

Guest GimpyLeg

I have a Honda VTX 1300 cruiser. My first bike for nearly 5 years and >26,000 miles. Never thought it was too small and didn't cost like a HD. My wife got a Honda VLX 600 as her first bike. About a year later, it was too small so we traded for a Honda Shadow Aero 750. She likes it much better. The low rake angle and wide tires like my 1300 really make it smooth through curves and twisties. I like a cruiser, but to each his own.

There is a place on Lee Highway in Cleveland, near the mall, that has a ton of different consignment bikes. It might be a good place to go ass test a bunch of different types.

Guest Rugerman
There is a place on Lee Highway in Cleveland, near the mall, that has a ton of different consignment bikes. It might be a good place to go ass test a bunch of different types.

Have any idea what it is called?

Cruisers I'd say the lightest > 600cc, < 1200cc and avoid 4 speed transmissions.

'tweeners/Dual Sports: SV650, FZ6, V-Strom 650, KLR-650, Versys, DRZ-400, DR650

Sportbikes: Ninja 500, SV650, SV650S, YZF600R, VFR, Daytona 600, XB9

You really need to stop by a few dealerships that do consignment sales so you can put butt to seat. That is really the final arbiter.

Good suggestions there. Buying a beginner bike get something cheap that you won't mind so much if you happen to lay it down. Also one that won't be expensive to fix if you lay it down. All that pretty plastic on the outside ain't cheap. Take the MSF course and after 6months-1year of riding start looking for something more fun. Even then I still wouldn't recommend a liter bike as far as sportbikes go. Just as an example my bike with me on it weighs about 620lbs. On Cool Springs dyno it put down 152HP to the wheel. That's more power than the 2000 Nissan Sentra SE commuter I drive puts out at the crank and pushing about 1/5th the weight. There are few vehicles out there with a better power to weight ratio than a 1000cc+ sportbike. Things like F1 cars and the space shuttle.