Question of the day: S&W J-Frame best civilian carry gun ever?

Guest DonRickles

Guest DonRickles

So what do you guys think? I feel it is the best BUG ever. But also when I am heading out of the house say for a late night run to the store it is usually the gun I throw in my pocket or waistband. It is just so convenient. Not to mention it is a revolver so jams are not really a problem. What say you?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

642 here as well. Great for inside the pocket carry. My "grab and go" gun when I leave the house on short notice. 5 rounds of Federal 110g Hydrashok should do the trick at close range.

I've got to admit some desire for a 340, but currently is not in my inventory. (Always been a fan of the .357 mag.)

See, I knew you guys would cop to the obvious advantages of the wheel gun.

I carry a 642 and a 19.

I was trying to sell a customer on a 642 the other day. I had two regulars in the shop as well. I turned and asked them, "what do you guys carry?" Both of them had J-frame size revolvers (one a Taurus 9mm and the other a Smith 60). He bought the gun.

That said, there are disadvantages (arent there always?). The guns are hard to shoot well. The trigger pull can be tough for people with weaker fingers.

Not only the best small civilian carry, but the best off duty LEO carry. My model 36 is the only gun that I have not traded off; I’ve had it 29 years. I even carried it on-duty as a back-up.

What is "civilian carry"?? I have heard of soldiers carrying them occasionally in odd circumstances but not enough to warrant special mention.

Guest Phantom6

For a pocket gun I prefer the Taurus #851 in SS. Shrouded hammer so it won't snag on pocket if I forget to put a thumb over the thumb spur and most importantly, I can still shoot single action if the situation warrants. It's much less expensive than the S&W version and every bit as reliable too.

851SS.jpg

Guest CrazyLincoln

There is no question. Is it the end-all-be-all? Nope, but an absolute staple for any citizen who wants to carry. I even traded my kimber for one (with other items of course, although I need another 1911 now). Can't go wrong with a good J-frame.