Help me complete my Bug-Out Bag!

Since we're talking about water, you might be interested in the steripen. Amazon has 'em on sale for $69 right now - about 30 bucks off. I ordered an MSR miniworks yesterday, place called sunnysports (dot com), I think it was $75 shipped, a pretty good price.

SweetSue suggests Oragel or equivalent, tweezers and something for poison oak/ivy.

Also, how about a magnifying glass? You can get a credit-card sized fresnel lense that would do the trick. Handy for finding splinters, and hey, if you get bored you could always start a fire with it...

Deck of cards with survival tips printed on the faces

Edited by Mark@Sea
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the water note just need enough for a day or 2, there is so much water here in TN shouldn't be any porblems geting drinkable water fast. Everyone should learn and know how to purify water. Knowlege is the most important think you can have. You can have alot or just the smallest amount to survive on. Your knowlege is what will see you thru. I have kept a go bag for for 20 years and learned enough to get by on what I carry on my every day in my pockets. It comes down to your level of knowlege of survival. Prepare your self challenge your mind, and think about what can go wrong, then think of the most basic things you would need to get by. It is impossible to pack in to one bag for every situation, but you can pack the basic needs and go from there with what you know.

thanks for hearing my :rolleyes:

Regarding the book, I bought Edible Wild Plants & Useful Herbs by Jim Meuninck on Ebay for $5. Its small, with nice big photos and fits in my bag nicely.

0762704799.jpg

Another "standard" is Peterson Field Guide, "Edible Wild Plants: Eastern/Central North America". 7x4.5x.75".

- OS

Well, the top secret alternate backup plan is to slip one into SunTzu's pack while he isn't looking. Don't spoil it for me, now... :D

Don't worry! I'll keep it between you and me! I love secrets! ;)

Besides, I doubt he notice something like that in his BOB anyhow, being the strong young lad he is! :mad:

Well, the top secret alternate backup plan is to slip one into SunTzu's pack while he isn't looking. Don't spoil it for me, now... B)
Don't worry! I'll keep it between you and me! I love secrets! B)

Besides, I doubt he notice something like that in his BOB anyhow, being the strong young lad he is! B)

I'll keep it inside the ACME black hole, which is my standard E&E plan. Barring that, its DIP time.

Yeah, but odor isn't everything.

- OS

Three words, Chief, "It's a COOKBOOK!"

toserveman.jpg

You're welcome at my house when the SHTF.

thcook01.gif

Three words, Chief, "It's a COOKBOOK!"

toserveman.jpg

You're welcome at my house when the SHTF.

thcook01.gif

Ah, great use of Twilight Zone, I knew the jab would be worth it B).

You'll use too much valuable fuel to simmer my old hide in a pot, though, best to lay in firewood and slow cook using a big spit.

- OS

UPDATE - just purchased a Sawyer® Point Zero Two Inline Water Purifier. This filter outperforms most others on the market in that in addition to filtering Bacteria and Protozoa, it also filters waterborne viruses like Hepatitis, Rotavirus, Coronavirus (SARS) and more. Weighing only 6oz and being able to filter up to 3000 gallons - I think this will make a nice addition to the BOB.

You can see this little filter can be used multiple ways: Hook up to a faucet, use the included 34oz Polycarbonate bottle, or attach to a hydration pack or gravity bag.

faucet-adapter-ex.jpgsp135-purifier-kit-ex.jpghydration-pack-ex.jpggravity-bag-ex.jpg

Sawyer® Water Filters use hollow fiber membrane filters. The Submicron Hollow Fiber Membrane found in this filter uses a cluster of micro-fibrous tubes. When the water is drawn through the membrane it flows through the side walls of the microfibrous tubes without any noticeable pressure drop. Pore sizes are so small that it mechanically removes sediment, bacteria, protozoa, cysts, viruses and other contaminants. This filter does not require the use of chemicals such as iodine or chlorine. All Sawyer® Water filters exceed EPA and NSF recommendations for removal rates.

Sawyer® water filters and purifers can be backwashed. So let's say that you take your filter on a 3 month trip with you. When you return from your trip, simply backwash your filter with clean water to flush out all of the particulate that has built up in your filter. It's that easy. So don't let clean water be an issue any more, Buy a Sawyer® Water Filter or Purifier.

Edited by TNTitan
Looks like a decent filter, the micro-tubes concept sound similiar to systems used by Katadyn and MSR. Let us know how well it does, and how long you can go without backflushing. You might want a pre-filter, too...

Sawyer says they can go up to 3,000 gallons w/o needing to be backwashed, but that is obviously based on the quality of the water. Some basic pre-filtering can extend backwashing needs in the field but they say something simple like a cotton cloth is all that's needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry if someone already mentioned these:

Frogtog rain suit: good for rain or as a wind breaker, combine with fleece and you are prepared for all but the coldest weather. If torn patches well with duct tape

Fleece balaclava: a combination hat, neck warmer, and face warmer. We loose about 30% of body heat through the head.

• 2 weeks later...

unless you dont want a pregnancy id stay away from the condoms because they are actually not so practical for carrying water unless you put them in a sock first, which protects them but limits their capacity. They also aren't easily tied/untied without breaking them.

Instead Id Gerber breast milk freezer bags. They are a LOT tougher, don't need a sock or sleeve, and are easily opened/closed repeatedly.