seeking advice on dog

vujade

I think I've finally convinced the wife to have a dog.

I'm thinking of a Doberman Pincher. (As a kid, we always had Dobermans or German Shepards)

1. Because of a myriad of things, the dog however may have to stay outside. Can dogs fair well with our hot/cold temps here? I do plan to walk/run him/her in the am and pm daily.

I'm going to build a shed/enclosure as well as get a dog house. If it gets really hot/cold, I plan to have a crate in the house for him/her to stay.

2. Any advice on reputable sources for a Doberman here in Middle TN?

thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gun Geek

Dobies are good dogs, A little cold for them to stay outside in the winter with out some kind of shelter & heat.

Rather than crating inside, you could build them a dog house with an improvised heater. Basically what I have always done is take a coffee can with holes poked in it and a standard 75watt light bulb. Keeps just enough warmth with out getting too hot. I wouldn't use a heat lamp as that will get too hot. They also have special pet mats that are heated but are way expensive. The nights are the biggest thing to worry about. If you can get them through the night they can spend the day lounging in the sun.

Also if you are having to convince the spouse, argue that you should have two dogs so that they can keep each other company "well we don't want him to be lonely" and also they will be able to share warmth outside rather than having them inside in the winter. Hey might get you an extra dog and is completely true. The trick is to nod your head "yes" the entire time you are trying to convince her of it... positive innuendos work.

For eleven years I had two German Shepherds at a time. Watching them play, 'fight' for attention, and just comparing personalities is something I'll never forget. 2 is so much more fun than just 1.

They were out during the day and in at night. Large dogs in the house isn't feasible for everyone, but that's how I did it. Large dogs want to be the center of attention just like little cutsey dogs, but being creatures of habit, they can adapt and be content anywhere.

any advice as far as male vs female?

we have a little kid so we'd like him/her gentle enough for the little one but we'd like him/her tough enough to scare bad guys.

females do bleed so i'm leaning away from that.

any other considerations?

Do not get a female unless you get her spade. That will stop the bleeding and unwanted offspring.

Dobies can not stand the cold.

Shepherds, GSDs, shed a lot.

Our granddaughter crawled all over our last GSD and stuck her finger up its nose. It understood and was loving it all.

A large dog is expensive to maintain. I estimate our current 90lb GSD is costing us well over $1,000. per year, food, meds and vet bills....She does eat well. No 'Ol Roy'.

Just last weekend I paid an emergency vet bill of $869.00 when her stomach flipped, she bloated and required emergency surgery.

Dogs, especially large dogs are not for everyone. Our last two dogs, both GSDs have been rescued dogs. The dog prior to that was a Dobie.

It is more the genetics of the animal, how it is raised and how it fits into the pack as how it behaves. Remember, these are pack animals and they will not be happy in a cage or pen. Consider a good alarm system if you plan on keeping the dog outside and forget the dog.. I can not stress enough that they need to socialize and become part of the family pack. Again, If the dog must stay outside forget about getting a dog. It is not fair to the dog.

oldogy

Edited by oldogy
Do not get a female unless you get her spade. That will stop the bleeding.

Dobies can not stand the cold.

Shepherds, GSDs, shed a lot.

Our granddaughter crawled all over our last GSD and stuck her finger up its nose. It understood and was loving it all.

A large dog is expensive to maintain. I estimate our current 90lb GSD is costing us well over $1,000. per year, food, meds and vet bills....She does eat well. No 'Ol Roy'.

Just last weekend I paid an emergency vet bill of $869.00 when her stomach flipped, she bloated and required emergency surgery.

Dogs, especially large dogs are not for everyone. Our last two dogs, both GSDs have been rescued dogs. The dog prior to that was a Dobie.

It is more the genetics of the animal, how it is raised and how it fits into the pack as how it behaves. Remember, these are pack animals and they will not be happy in a cage or pen. Consider a good alarm system if you plan on keeping the dog outside and forget the dog.. I can not stress enough that they need to socialize and become part of the family pack. Again, If the dog must stay outside forget about getting a dog. It is not fair to the dog.

oldogy

:D We're looking at, and for, Rhodesian Ridgebacks. These dogs will be with us inside or out of the house. Great post!

Great Dane! They're AWESOME with kids. However they attach themselves heavily to their people and will want to be inside (crate is recommended) at night.

Two stories about our Dane...

1. Electric company didn't inform us they were sending people out to trim the trees. My wife let the dog out for her morning potty/play break and she spotted the guys in the back yard. One ran up the ladder and the other hopped the fence. She was in pure defensive mode and would not have done anything but bark if either guy had stayed on the ground. Once my wife got out there to introduce her to them she was ready to play with them.

2. Wife and newborn baby were in the bedroom at the far end of the house from the garage. The door between the garage and deck was left open and the back door was unlocked. My wife had left a tall laundry basket in the kitchen to block the dog's access to the back door and basement stairs. Dog had been laying on the couch in living room then went crazy nuts barking. Wife got up to investigate and found the laundry basket had been moved halfway into the kitchen in a way the dog would have not likely done. Apparently some fool decided to walk into our house and was maybe 10 steps inside before being confronted by a 120lb Great Dane. We suspect he/she had to go home and change shorts.

BTW, the we had no issues with the Dane and the newborn. We lost her to bone cancer before our daughter's 1st birthday, but know of others who have incredible stories of Dane and child interactions. A friend in Winchester got a Dane puppy about 2 months ago. Their 6 year old was afraid of most dogs but has been fine with this one.

When we had our Dane spayed, they tacked her tummy to her ribcage so there was no chance for bloat... which is a risk with any dog, but especially large dogs. Oh yeah, we owned this dog while living in Wisconsin and she loved the cold.

The only dog I would keep outside would be a beagle or hound... and even those would come inside on really cold nights.

;) We're looking at, and for, Rhodesian Ridgebacks. These dogs will be with us inside or out of the house. Great post!

One of my best friends when I was in high school had a Rhodesian Ridgeback/Black Lab mix named "Buff" because that's what it sounded like when he barked. He was a big boy, probably in the 90-110lb range. Great looking dog and a personality to match. You know how they say chocolate can kill dogs? This tough bastard ate 2 1lb giant Hersey Kiss, and he didn't get so much as a stomach ache. :D

For anybody else looking for a great family dog, I highly recommend Old English Sheepdogs. They aren't as common here in the south (much moreso in the midwest), but they're awesome. We've got 2. The male is 3, and he weighs in at about 70lbs. They are EXCELLENT watch dogs (it's what they were bred for) and are very alert, even while napping. Due to their roots as herding dogs, they stick close by their owners, rarely needing a leash. They have long hair, but rarely shed. We shave them once a year, at the beggining of summer.

Ours will probably be having some pups within the next year or so, if anyone might be interested, let me know and I'll keep you posted.

Here's a few pics of ours:

Shiner, the male 3yr old

downsized_0301082215-1.jpg

Shiner again, w/ his summer cut

0518081647.jpg

London the 7mo old w/ Shiner. We got her through a rescue program when she was 5mo old.

0629091226a.jpg

I think I've finally convinced the wife to have a dog.

I'm thinking of a Doberman Pincher. (As a kid, we always had Dobermans or German Shepards)

1. Because of a myriad of things, the dog however may have to stay outside. Can dogs fair well with our hot/cold temps here? I do plan to walk/run him/her in the am and pm daily.

I'm going to build a shed/enclosure as well as get a dog house. If it gets really hot/cold, I plan to have a crate in the house for him/her to stay.

2. Any advice on reputable sources for a Doberman here in Middle TN?

thanks!

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/non-firearm-classifieds/27604-doberman-pincher.html#post364917

If you have kids, and they have friends come over (or even your adult friends come over), make sure the dog is socialized well with everyone. Some of these dogs that become protectors by instinct will sometimes see innocent playing or contact with your kids (by outsiders) as aggression and in turn get rather aggressive with your visitors.

OK you probably won't like what I have to say but PLEASE PLEASE don't get a Doberman if you are going to keep it outside. Dobermans are very master oriented, they need to be with "their" people. They also have a very thin coat and my doberman loves to be covered with a blanket to sleep at night and when she is napping when we have the air on. I can't ever imagine putting her outside into the cold in winter. Personally if you are going to get an "outside" dog please get something with a thick coat to keep warm.

• Moderators
If you have kids, and they have friends come over (or even your adult friends come over), make sure the dog is socialized well with everyone. Some of these dogs that become protectors by instinct will sometimes see innocent playing or contact with your kids (by outsiders) as aggression and in turn get rather aggressive with your visitors.

I have a few small scars on my leg to attest to this. When I was a kid I had neighbors with a couple of Rottweilers. Was playing next door in their yard, and tickled one of the kids, he screamed and the male Rott clamped on my leg for just long enough to tell me to let go. Totally my fault, he was doing his job and protecting his charges. Left a couple of holes in my leg from his canines. He also adopted my little sis as one of theirs and would bark at my mom when she came out to tell (yell for) her to come in.

If you are having to "sell" your wife on getting dogs, don't do it unless you can sell her fully on including them as full members of the family, inside and outside of the house. IMO, many outside only dogs end up being neglected in the amount of attention they receive just because their owners get too busy. They are harder to ignore and become more involved in the family life inside the home where they can pester you for some lovin'. As mentioned earlier, dogs are pack animals and do not do well when separated from their pack/ pack leader.

any advice as far as male vs female?

we have a little kid so we'd like him/her gentle enough for the little one but we'd like him/her tough enough to scare bad guys.

females do bleed so i'm leaning away from that.

any other considerations?

When considering male vs female, one needs to look at instinct. If you look at male wild dogs, you'll notice that the males tend to be much more subserviant to the alpha male(that's you) and tend to try to please you meaning they are far easier to train. Females, in the wild, are far less subserviant to the alpha female and tend to be more independent because they go off by themselves to have their litters. This is why most show dogs are male, because they are easier to train not that they are better specimens of the breed.

That being said, there are drawbacks to males. Occassionally, you'll get a male who wants to be the alpha male, himself, and is overly agressive. Also, un-neutered males will go to great lengths to get to a bitch in heat, possibly injuring themselves or someone elses precious pet in the process. Neutering will usually prevent this, but only if performed at about the 7 month age (they need the testosterone for about 7 months for normal healthy growth). The truth is that spaying and neutering is always a good idea nowdays. There are plenty of breeders and way too many dogs that can't find the love of a good home.

Look online for Doberman or other breed rescue dogs. There are to many dogs looking for a decent home for me to even consider purchasing from a breeder or pet store. We have adopted 4 Dobies from Dobermann Rescues and 3 mixed breeds from local Humane Societies. All have been inside "family members".

Guest clownsdd

I would recommend you check out an Anatolian Shepherd. Anatolian Shepherd. About Anatolian Shepherds . We have had rots, retrivers, etc, but the "toni" we rescued is the best we have had. See the link. Peyton is an inside/outside dog, does a great job of guarding his flock and area. I would also suggest that, whatever breed you choose, use a recognized rescue shelter instead of a breeder.

We plan on using a rescue shelter instead of a breeder. We don't expect to find a pureblood RR, just an animal that has some in its bloodline. Or some type of guard dog.

• Moderators
Look online for Doberman or other breed rescue dogs. There are to many dogs looking for a decent home for me to even consider purchasing from a breeder or pet store. We have adopted 4 Dobies from Dobermann Rescues and 3 mixed breeds from local Humane Societies. All have been inside "family members".

+1000

Rescues/shelters are the only way to go. Our next pug is coming from one just like the two we have now.

Guest tdtennessee

get you a good blue heeler, i have one thats 5 years old and is as loyal as can be. my son is 19 months old now and has been crawling all over him since he could crawl. cj use to sleep in mine and my wifes room till our son was born now he sleeps between him and the door. you dont get near my son unless he knows you and he is always on watch at the house.

American Pit Bull Terrier, is my choice. And I have 4 children at home. This breed is very dependable. But they also don't fair well in the extreme cold climates. Our dog is a house mouse.

Thanks for all the advice.

I grew up in sunny California so it was common to keep dogs outside. I'm re-thinking it with the TN heat/cold.

Would it be "fair" to have the dog sleep indoors with the family (a crate in a room) at night but then outside in the yard when we are off at work? I plan to build a little carport with a dog house so he/she can nap in comfort.

As for exercise, at least once a day run/walk but I'm pretty sure my kid and I can do a AM then PM walk/run daily. and of course we have a decent enough yard to run around in.