Finally got my FNAR!!! Now where to start??

Guest BigShot

Finally got my FNAR... now it's time to start outfitting my critter controller with scope or EoTec and figure out what type ammo is best to run thru it.

Focusing on low power glass/dot and most accurate .308 loads for this rifle, has anyone found a preference for one ragged hole 5 shot groups? I know my bolt loves Federal Premium 165s but before I load up for tryouts, thought I'd poll for suggestions.

FNARHeavyBarrel.jpg

Any FNAR fans out there? :rolleyes:

Edited by BigShot
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a fan until FN raised mag prices to $90. Mine is going on the sale block soon.

AI think the federals will suit you well.

FYI, Here's a post from another website:

"Local shop has the 20rd mags for $49.99

The Arms Room

281-332-0706"

The main reason I had not put cash down earlier was the short supply of mags. They are catching up now and mags are available online and locally for $50-59. Have not found a 5 rounder yet.

Already loaded the federal premiums in the shooter bag and waiting on sights. I'm excited!! Can't wait to do something besides aim at the bad guys on TV.

Been researching the optics I want to play with. Backyard huntin or corn patchin doesn't need more than 200 yard focals so I'm seriously considering an Eotech and a flippin 3x. Any ideas?

BigShot :D

The main reason I had not put cash down earlier was the short supply of mags. They are catching up now and mags are available online and locally for $50-59. Have not found a 5 rounder yet.

BigShot :poop:

FYI, Magazine supply is not an issue rifght now, but FN raised pricing last week. If you can find them for $50 buy them quickly. Most sites are now $80-86. I was glad that mine shipped.

AS far as optics go, I added a Pentax lightseeker. I love the setup.

I think your rifle is a little large for an Eotech but what do I know? I would also suggest a Trijicon ACOG with a 308 reticle. You can always add a small red dot like a Burris Fastfire on the top or side later if you have to have one.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BigShot

Yep... both the EOTech and TriJ ACOG really looked wrong on top. I have decided to go with glass. Here's the 30mm quick detach mounts from GG&G in Arizona. Feels SOLID, looks like it fits and I like it. Now to find the right 2.5 or 3.5 variable to lay on top. :stare:

GGGQuickMount30mm.jpg

Edited by BigShot
Guest BigShot

Thanks for the offer Magic. Was over at the Oupost Armory yesterday playing around with the ACOGs again. The illuminated one with the red dot on top had my attention. Later on, I may get one to QD the scope and swap out for quick shots on the corn field critters.

Guest BigShot

Sold off a couple toys and bit the bullet... NXS 3.5-15x56 is on the truck headed this way. Can't wait to get it mounted and pop some of dem shiny things thru the pipe.

Still looking for heads up on what accurate .308 loads you guys are using. :screwy:

Oh yeah, here's the reticle I chose... the circle is 10 inches no matter what distance you are ranging. The lines are 18-20" for like the back to belly of a deer or ground to back of a yote. We'll see how it does.

ReticleNP-1RR.jpg

Edited by BigShot

We are going to need to see some pics. You are building some major gun pron. I've been very happy with my FNAR / Pentax lightseeker combo. Now, 'm feeling quite jealous.

Also, are you planning to add a bipod? I want one, but it must be very light and reasonably priced.

Guest BigShot

UPS had not got out the driveway before I done had my paws on the new toy... ;)

Just got it plummed and torqued down for the pics.

Here's the cranks:

MVC-826X.jpg

Without the shade:

MVC-829Y.jpg

With the sunshade:

MVC-824Y.jpg

and yep, I gots to get me one of them bipods. :rolleyes:

Guest BigShot

Hey Hans...

you shooting reloads or have a favorite factory load for such groups??

I'm about to make an ammo purchase and want to start off with what works.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BigShot

The delivery guy sure is wonderin what I've got goin' on... hasn't seen this much ordering since building my Jeep.

Got some 165 grain soft points and 168 HPBTs... Range Report soon.

Anyways, got the new bipod. Feels SOLID, looks good. It is a Command Arms "Mid length BPO" and less than half the price of a Tango Down. Also got my flip caps for 10 pound scope. Lots of glass to protect.

Here's the pics:

MVC-852X.jpg

MVC-8512.jpg

Ready to complete my barrel break-in and start dialing in the scope's set point on 100, 200, 250 and 300 yards. Past that I gotta crank some o'dem dials!!

BigShot :popcorn:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BigShot

Took my time breaking in the barrel over the last couple of weeks. Clean, shoot, clean shoot... Finally put it on paper today!! After getting it pretty close at 25 and 50, I went for the prize at 100. 1st shot to the right, made 3 clicks. 2nd shot, still right and a tad low. 3 more to the left and a couple up... shot 3 the size of a dime. I AM TICKLED!! :drama:

FNARSight_In11-28-09.jpg