SMALL Revolver for Women Traveling Alone?

Three women are planning a LONG roadtrip next Spring to the great Northwest. We'll be in a small travel trailer and plan to do some dry camping in very remote spots. Not that I'm saying I would take a gun with us (I have yet to convince one of my friends it might be necessary), but if I were to take a gun, what is a very, very small (physical size, not caliber size) revolver?

When I moved to Tennessee, I bought a Walther P22 - has jammed every single time I've used it. It's awful. And it's a little bit big, if I was to take a gun on this trip. Maybe if I sent it to the manufacturer, they could fix it?

I have a tiny, tiny revolver I found at my Dad's after he died, but I can't figure out what kind of ammo it takes. I'd love to post a picture of it, but can't figure out how yet...anyway, a friend up in Illinois picked me up a box of "32 S&W 88 Grain Lead High Velocity Centerfire Cartridges for this little gun, but they're too big.

Bottom line - any suggestions and/or helpful hints?

Thanks!

Regards,

Michelle

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

People around here seem to absolutely love the Smith & Wesson J-Frame revolvers. I definitely would not want to be on the receiving end of a +P .38 Special hollow point out of any gun with a good shooter behind the sights.

I guess my only recommendation would be to avoid the Airlite versions of the J-Frame since the recoil absorbing properties of such a light weight gun would probably suck really bad. Especially on "hot" cartridges.

You can see the whole line of J-Frame revolvers here.

Also, I'd do some homework first and make sure that any states you travel through would honor your Tennessee carry permit and that you wouldn't be in violation of any local laws regarding transportation of the firearm.

Guest Todd@CIS

+1 on Tungsten's post.

I highly recommend a S&W 442 or 642.

I've owned the lighter 342 (and sold it). For me, these lighter "AirLites" are not worth the extra recoil and other experienced hassles.

Guest ETS_Inc

If size and concealability are the most important considerations, you might want to reconsider an auto. The P22's are not the best for reliability, but they aren't indicative of the reliability of all autos.

You might think about Kel-Tec's line of pistols. Specifically, the P32 and P3AT, with a nod also to the FP9. They are some of the smallest autos on the market, and fairly reliable, as well.

-1 on the Kel-Tecs. I know I know, everyone who has one swears he can shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards and the gun will feed rusty bolts reliably.

Maybe.

My experience was bad. I couldnt hit anything reliably more than 8 feet away and the gun broke on more than one occasion and had feed problems. It seems people either get good ones and love 'em or bad ones and hate 'em.

If carry weight isnt an issue I would recommend a Rossi in .357 or .38 or one of the Armscorp .38s. They arent the nicest guns in the universe but will work reliably and if the gun gets seized for whatever reason or lost you won't cry over it.

I've been considering Kel-Tec P3-ATs recently, since Double-Tap now makes .380acp ammo: http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_62&products_id=233

Gives this dimunitive cartridge as much power as any std pressure .38spl load, and nearly as much as some +p loads.

The .38 revolver that I sometimes carry in my pocket is a bit bulky, width-wise... a flat gun would be nice.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I have found Kel Tec products to be a good choice......, after they have been on the market a while. :D

Seems to me that everytime they produce something new the Beta Testing is done by the first couple thousand buyers who ship the weapon back for repairs. Kel Tec, after seeing what is wrong and developing a fix, will then produce a product improvement to the production line and the weapon is then a good buy.

Again, just my opinion and your mileage will vary....... :up:

I am missing something.

Speer's own loading of the round indicates 990 fps out of the muzzle. This one claims 1000-1100. I don't see the Double Tap as a huge improvement, possibly even worse. It is cheaper though.

Depends on the barrel length. Speer got 990fps using a 3 3/4" barrel, DT got more than that with a 2" barrel: http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=23606

• Administrator

The new Walther PPS looks like a much better alternative to the KelTec and other "cheap" pocket pistols with questionably reliability.

http://www.waltheramerica.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=13152&storeId=10002&productId=60535&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=44304&isFirearm=Y

http://www.waltheramerica.com/wcsstore/Walther/upload/other/PPS_BROCHURE.pdf

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/waltherthin_091807/

Model-: PPS

Caliber-: 9mm

Length: 6.3"

Height: 4.4"

Overall Width/Width without slidestop lever and takedown buttons: 1.04"/.91"

Barrel Length: 3.2"

Sight Radius: 5.4"

Weight (without Mag): 19.4 oz.

Standard Magazine Weight: 1.9 oz.

Action: Striker Fire Action, Pre-Cocked

Trigger Pull: 6.1 lbs.

Frame: Polymer Anthracite finish

WAP10001.jpg

• Administrator
The Kel-Tec has questionable reliability?

I might wonder about a Walther.... :D

I've done quite a bit of reading on the Kel-Tecs and it seems like owners fall into one of two categories: Those who have had no problems and those who have had nothing but problems.

One guy claimed that it was the safest pistol that he owns. So safe that half the time it wouldn't go off even if he wanted it to.

I had a PPS through the shop not long ago. I didnt particularly like it and it wasnt quite pocket carry material. It also takes down like a--gasp--Glock.

As for the Kel-Dreks, yes, people either get a good one and love it or a bad one and hate it. I hated my P32.

I've done quite a bit of reading on the Kel-Tecs and it seems like owners fall into one of two categories: Those who have had no problems and those who have had nothing but problems.

And both are correct. :D

In my experience, sometimes Kel-Tecs have a problem. If you take the time to send them back to the factory, they generally come back really nice. Most of the complaints I've seen are from people who would rather complain about their "cheap gun" than get the gun fixed for free.

But Walthers have a long history of problems too and some of them, like the problems some PPKs have with dissimilar metals in the same gun can not be easily fixed.

You can have a problem in any gun brand. You certainly have more problems with a Kel-Tec than a H&K, but I wouldn't trust my life to any gun that hadn't been broken in and with which I didn't have a fair amount of experience.

Guest packnheat

I had a P22 that I got for plinking, but sold it becuase it jammed all the time too. I think its just becuase it's a cheap gun though. I just got a Walther PPS and haven't had a single problem with it (I'm the guy that got it through your shop, Rabbi :D ). It shoots great, and seems to be very high quality. The guys at the range were oohing and awing over it. Your right, it is a little large for pocket carry, but it's so thin that it works great for inside the waste band (which I prefer anyway). You can see my pictures here.

J-frame is my recommendation too. Maybe try one of the Lady Smiths. They look kinda cool.

I'm the original poster and I have a P22. What a piece of garbage...jams constantly. I don't ever use it because it doesn't work! I'm very inexperienced with guns, so could I send the P22 back to the manufacturer and they would fix it? That'd be nice since I have LOTS of ammo for it! :D

I also have a Beretta .25 cal model 21A. I will probably just use that for our travels!

Regards,

Michelle

• Administrator

Walther-America is served through Smith & Wesson and it has been my experience that they are SUPER at taking care of the customer. By all means I would send the P22 back to them with a description of what is happening and see if they can make it right for you.

The best part? They will pay for complete round-trip shipping. :stunned:

Guest packnheat

Yeah I would contact them to see if they can fix it. I'm sure they have had a lot of people complain about it. It looks like the problem would be a pretty easy fix too. The problem might even fix itself after running about four or five hundred rounds through it. I just can't stand an unreliable gun.

Also, most people will tell you that you really don't want anything smaller than a .38 or 9mm caliber for a personal protection gun. Anything smaller just doesn't have much stopping power. But a small caliber gun is better than no gun at all!

Guest bulletproof

Hmmm, I hate to hear that about the P22. I have one and my daughter also has one. Our guns never jam. I've put about 300 rds of mini mags through mine without a single jam. The only time mine ever jammed was when I tried shooting some cheap German ammo. I trashed it then and there. I hope I'm not going to have problems down the road.

So, my P22 is ammo sensitive? I bought this gun when we moved from Chicago suburbs to NW TN 3 years ago, thinking we were going to have to fight off the snakes at the front door every day!!! ;)

Anyway, when I bought the gun, I also bought a box of Federal Gold Medal 40 Grain Solid ammo. Was/Is this bad ammo to put in the P22? This gun has jammed from new straight out of the box. I hope it's the ammo! That would be great, eh?

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

Michelle