SMALL Revolver for Women Traveling Alone?

Guest Phantom6
So, my P22 is ammo sensitive? I bought this gun when we moved from Chicago suburbs to NW TN 3 years ago, thinking we were going to have to fight off the snakes at the front door every day!!! ;)

Anyway, when I bought the gun, I also bought a box of Federal Gold Medal 40 Grain Solid ammo. Was/Is this bad ammo to put in the P22? This gun has jammed from new straight out of the box. I hope it's the ammo! That would be great, eh?

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

Michelle

My wife has a P22 (which I sneak out of the house and shoot when I can) and we run Federal through it. It has been our experience that you just need to make sure the pistol is clean and well (not over) lubricated every time you shoot or you can have jamming problems. Of course that's true with any pistol. Every 200-300 or so rounds, take the mags apart, clean and lube them too. With a little care we rarely have problems. It does sem to prefer a diet of the CCI MiniMags better though.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TN.Frank

First off, How Well Can You Shoot? A snub nose 38spl is a hard gun to shoot accuratly even in the hands of someone that can shoot well. You'd be better off going with a Med. Frame .357Mag loaded with +P 38's that has a 3-4" bbl. Granted, it's not as small as a J frame Smith but it's a lot easier to shoot well with it and recoil and controlability would be a lot better. Personally, I think a good Pump 20ga shotgun with an 18" bbl loaded with #4 Buck would be far better then ANY handgun you can use, especially if it's an emergency only kind of deal. Another thing you need to think about are the laws of the States you'll be going thru and stopping in. As a general rule you can sometimes get by with a longgun in places where a handgun will get you into deep do do.

Hey Marswolf, you gonna shoot that Bucksnort ... oops, I meant Buckmark in competition at The Great 22's at Dawn Throw-down at the Nov. shoot? ;)

I imagine the Buckmark will make its way into the trunk. I'm a world champion rock mover with the thing. I'm sure I must have shot at a target with it at some time.

Thanks for the reminder on the States where I might be able to bring a gun - which made me realize I probably won't be bringing any gun on our trip - we'll be heading into Canada! I'm going to guess that'd be a No-No???

Regards,

Michelle (who will most likely have to embark on her Great Adventure unprotected! :D )

Guest TN.Frank

So if you'll be in an RV why not grab some new "kitchen knives" that are extra sharp for the trip. A good, sharp, LARGE knife can do a lot of damage at RV range in the hands of a frighten woman. Maybe bring along a ball bat and glove and ball too, you never know when you might want to play "ball" sometime. Ball Bats and knives aren't ideal but they're a heck of a lot better then your bare hands. :D