Can Anyone Identify This Gun?

mitch5252

I found this gun in my Dad's house after he died. Can anyone identify it? And what type of ammo I can use? Several years ago, a friend picked me up a box of Remington 32 S&W 88 Grain Lead (R32SW) Centerfire Cartridges, but they're too big!

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Michelle

Dad.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the crown over the "R" stands for the Romanov family? If it does it may mean a Russian manufacture pre-1918 of course... BTW Romanov is the only "royal" family I could think of that started with an R.

No way. "Romanov" would be indicated with a P, the cyrillic character for R. This looks like "Royal", meaning from the royal armory, i.e. made for British troops.

The Webley type hammer and funny device on the side further suggest some British make.

No way. "Romanov" would be indicated with a P, the cyrillic character for R. This looks like "Royal", meaning from the royal armory, i.e. made for British troops.

The Webley type hammer and funny device on the side further suggest some British make.

Your right, it has been a very long time since I looked at anything having to do with royalty...

I submitted this to my friend who has forgotten more about obscure European weapons than anyone on this forum, me included. Here is his reply:

First, get on your forum and chastise them for discussing loading the damn thing period! You apparently have a Belgian manufactured "Bulldog-type" likely chambered in .320 Revolver (British blackpowder, the functional equivalent of .32 Short Colt, 1870's era).

The crowned R is typically a repair-conversion reproof mark, the style of crown and font determine nationality. There is an exception, Belgium before they joined the International Congress of Proof.

This mark indicates black powder proven to 30% excess pressure. The star/over an initial is the individual inspector's mark. The DC on the opposite side I can not find in my proof/markings books.

This is somewhat typical of the "suicide specials" exported by the Belgians before they joined the congress. They could not export to congress countries or their colonies so guess where many ended up. Most old muzzleloading farm shotguns fall into this category, not to mention a few "doll's-head lock" top breaks.

Holy smokes - I'm way past impressed! You guys are good. All I could find out was that it was some sort of British Bulldog.

So, first, why did he say not to load it? I'm in the market for a teeny little gun.

His statement didn't mean my particular gun is circa 1870s, did he?

This mark indicates black powder proven to 30% excess pressure - what does that mean?

repair-conversion reproof mark - what's that?

So, you think my Dad got this somewhere in Europe during WWII, or did he pick it up on Maxwell Street in Chicago sometime in the 1940s, or is either a possibility?

This is really interesting stuff, isn't it? Thanks for finding all that out!

Regards,

Michelle

The gun is chambered for a black powder cartridge. Black powder is a lot less powerful than the smokeless in use today. If you were to load a modern cartridge in that, you would likely blow the gun up.

Yes, I take it the gun was manufactured in the 1870s.

You need a modern revolver capable of handling modern loads.

Michelle,

I wouldn't shoot it period for another reason also.

just looking at the pics you posted, the metal in that pistol has been stressed way too much already.

If you were to do a chemical stress test, I'm willing to bet you'd find all sorts of cracks in that thing. I know what I'm talking about...I do it for towers all the time.

Its a great piece of history though!!