AR15 build...Headspacing?

Guest LtW8

I just ordered a barrel assembly and bcg assembly for my stripped upper, and was wondering. Where should I take it, once I get it completed, to get the head spacing checked? Anywhere from Nashville to Murfreesboro is convenient. This is my first ar build so I'm not comfortable doing it myself, nor do I have head spacing go/nogo gauges.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any good gunsmith should be able to check it for you, however you can buy a Colt 5.56 Headspace Gauge from Brownells for $17. Here is the link

BROWNELLS : BROWNELLS : Colt 5.56 Headspace Gauge (319-418-033) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools_

It is not hard to use and you can view the instruction on how to use it on the Brownells site.

• 5 months later...

I have read that it is not really necessary to check the HS on an AR, but it sounds like a good idea to me. However, I am doing final assembly on my first AR, and I have not ordered a gauge yet. I am trying to decide if I really need to check the headspace. I have been building this rifle as funds would allow for more than a year (wow, kids are expensive), so I don't want to rush it now. But, if it is not really necessary to check the HS then it sure would be nice to take this thing to the range this weekend. :D

I have a Bushmaster bbl with the M4 extension factory installed, and I have an LMT bcg that I ordered from Bravo Company. It is a 5.56

I know some on other forums say "yes" and some say "no", but what do the experts here on TGO say? Are there any tell-tell signs that the HS may not be right, or is it just a mystery until you check it with a guage? Can't dig it up with the search feature...

What do ya think?

Edited by Batman

Before deciding to build an Ar you really should watch the videos (free) from Brownells.

Here is the one for installing a barrel.

GunTech : Installing the Delta Ring Assembly and the Barrel Into the Upper Receiver - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Here is the link for all the videos. Each category has sub categories.

GunTech : How to Build An AR-15 Video - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Sure it would not be a bad idea to check head space but an AR is more like a 10/22 versus many other rifles. The chamber is part of the barrel and not a barrel that screws into the chamber/typical receiver. As long as you are using mil-spec parts they will all fit together and checking head space is not really needed/required.

People are paranoid about head space in an AR but if you read up on it and watch the videos before you jump into a project you don't know much about you will be much better off in the long run.

Now if I was building a bolt gun oh heck yeaaaaaa head space would be a big deal.

I built an AR 2 years ago and I did not check head space and mine has had not a single jam or foul up and it shoots really tight groups.

Guest RangeMstr

If your barrel and barrel extension are mil spec and your bolt is mil spec you don't have to worry about headspace. If you are shooting a BR grade rifle then by all means check headspace to verify chamber throat integrity.

• 3 weeks later...

I gathered some patience and decided to check HS on my new AR before shooting it for the first time. After waiting for my order to arrive from Brownells and tracking it over the Easter weekend on UPS's website, I finally got my gauges. The headspace checked out just fine, so I am off to the range this week!

I thought about taking it to a gunsmith to check, but I saw it as an opportunity to add some more AR tools (and knowledge) to my collection. The Brownells instructional videos on their website made it super easy. I don't have an ejector removal tool, so that was a little tricky. I only launched the ejector once... luckily I found it! :(