Bug out vehicles

Bikes can be great - most efficient form of human locomotion in the world - but what if you are injured? What about carrying supplies (highly limited)? Plus, you get NO protection / concealment from potential baddies.

If things get bad enough I need to bug out, a bike would not be my first choice.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bikes can be great - most efficient form of human locomotion in the world - but what if you are injured? What about carrying supplies (highly limited)? Plus, you get NO protection / concealment from potential baddies.

If things get bad enough I need to bug out, a bike would not be my first choice.

no, it would not be my first option. but if you lived in LA. It'd be easier to get out on bike, than in a car or truck.

you can actually carry a lot of gear on a bike. more than you can carry in a bug out bag. and then you can add more gear by adding a bike trailer.

here are two threads on a bug out bike : survivalistboards & one I stared in Arfcoms survival forum

and here is a site about Bikepacking

Im new to the bike stuff, but I think its an option some people just dont think about...seriously, look at the third world countries... it is the form of transportation there

I'm not saying it should be a first choice at all, but it would be a great option. As I mentioned, my first choice would be a large awd or 4x4 vehicle with bikes on the roof. Adding a few light bikes on the roof would not compromise cargo space much, if any, and it gives you an option that you wouldn't otherwise have. Also, in the event of a natural disaster that creates a food or fuel crisis, I'd like to be able to get provisions for the family while conserving fuel and keeping a low profile. Now carrying a gun on the bike, that could be a whole other thread....

qt-wildcat-500dkr.jpg

QT Wildcat 500DKR

Placing third in Egypt's Pharaoh's Rally is no easy task, especially for a auto-making unit that recently switched ownership — but that's exactly what the QT Wildcat 500DKR ($TBA). Billed as a "full-blown rally raid machine," this mean off-roader is powered by a 4-liter Jaguar V8 good for 275hp, and features a fully ruggedized chassis, drivetrain, and electronics, including a high-strength steel space frame, a light weight composite body shell, larger dampers with coil over springs capable of handling more punishment than you're likely to dish out, and more.

I'm not saying it should be a first choice at all, but it would be a great option. As I mentioned, my first choice would be a large awd or 4x4 vehicle with bikes on the roof. Adding a few light bikes on the roof would not compromise cargo space much, if any, and it gives you an option that you wouldn't otherwise have. Also, in the event of a natural disaster that creates a food or fuel crisis, I'd like to be able to get provisions for the family while conserving fuel and keeping a low profile. Now carrying a gun on the bike, that could be a whole other thread....

EarthRoamer XV-LTs in Action

Ideally, I would have something like this, with bikes on the roof.

.......... Now carrying a gun on the bike, that could be a whole other thread...........

this is true.

couple of pics I found.

th_indestructablehomemade.jpg

th_UtilityBike-1.jpg

th_BugOutBike005.jpg

th_BugOutBike003.jpg

it would be interesting to see other options...and also to keep it safe...

thanks for the link to earthroamer...