Windows 7

DaveTN

Does anyone remember Windows ME, cause that is basically how horrible Vista has performed. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Windows 7

I disagree - I ran 64-bit Vista without problems. Microsoft can't seem to lose the sigma from 98/ME but 2000, XP, Vista and now 7 have never had any issues with crashing, blue screens, etc. And if they do, it is almost always attributed to a buggy driver.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking for a good value, especially if you have multiple computers, get a subscription to MS Technet. It's around $300 and gives you 10 copies of Win7/64, 10 copies of Win7/32, 10 of each server version, 10 Office, and so on, and so on. You can download the .iso files and make your own DVD's. You also get the advanced releases of software. I've been using the official release of Win7 since August.

...get a subscription to MS Technet. It's around $300 ...

Wow. I wasn't aware; not at all. What a steal! Seriously... that's pretty awesome. When you piece together pooters like I do from time to time (I can't call it "build") then that would start saving $$ and time pretty quickly.

Windows 7 Called Slower than Vista

Microsoft's new Windows 7 operating system boots slower than its unloved predecessor, Windows Vista, a PC tune-up developer said today.

158537-windows7_original.jpgThe claims by iolo Technologies, a Los Angeles maker of PC software, contradict Microsoft's boasts that Windows 7 starts up faster than Vista.

According to iolo's tests, Windows 7 starts up 42% slower than Vista -- one minute, 34 seconds versus one minute, six seconds -- on a brand new machine when the time trials are run to the point where the machine is usable, at least by iolo's standards.

Windows 7 does seem to start faster than Vista, said iolo, with its time-to-the-desktop measured as around 40 seconds. But iolo measured startup as the point where the computer is "fully usable," with a low load on the processor.

Microsoft has said it's dedicated significant resources to making Windows 7 boot, and resume from sleep and hibernation, faster than Vista, which has been panned since 2007 for starting slowly.

Other tests, however, have echoed iolo, and showed that in some cases Windows 7 does boot slower than Vista. PC World, a sister publication to Computerworld , for example, benchmarked the new operating system as starting about 10% slower than Vista when 32-bit versions of the two were compared, although it was 14% faster on 64-bit.

iolo also said its tests indicated that Windows 7's startup times, like Vista's, degrade over time. After several "commonly-used" applications have been installed on a new Windows 7 box, for instance, its boot time -- again, as measured by the company -- slows to two minutes, 34 seconds, an increase of 64%.

Over an even more extended span, Windows 7's boot times get more sluggish than that: By the end of a simulated two-year period, Windows 7's startup times increased more than 330%.

Boot times have become a hot topic. Last week, Chinese computer maker Lenovo said its new ThinkPad notebooks and ThinkCentre desktops will boot Windows 7 56% faster than when loading XP or Vista, thanks to operating system, driver, and power management tweaks it made.

iolo said it will release more details and results of its Windows 7 boot-time benchmarks on Monday.:)

Windows 7 Called Slower than Vista - Business Center - PC World

Now then... Here i sit reading all the good things you guys say bout 7, just backed up all importants onto jump drive and DVD. Got Vista 64 runnin w/no real issues, BUT Got a Copy of 7 ULTIMATE sittin here in front of me.... Do a google search and here be the first thing that pops up. Was published THIS MORNING!! What to do????:D

Ok, for gun comparisons to win 7, XP, ME, and Vista.

XP is the old well worn 1911 - that has been shot for a very long time, and needs some work, but you cannot find a gunsmith willing to work on it... (Micro$oft is ending support for XP)

ME was a Saturday Night Special that would fail to feed the next round.

Vista was what appeared to be a shiny chromed 1911 with all the add ons you could throw at it... Too bad it was a Llama underneath it all.

Win 7 seems to be a new Beretta M9A1 - It does not really replace the 1911 (XP) but it does have different features and is a rock solid firearm in its own right.

I ran the beta, RC, and now the full version (I'm a Win 7 launch party participant). Works fine.

As for pop-ups asking you to OK things, google "turn off UAC" that removes everything.

BTW, Vista was only a problem for people who are inept with PC's. Never had a single issue.

Win7, worth the upgrade.

rollfloor.gif

Let me the first to admit then that I must be computer illiterate.

If you never had an issue it’s because you never did anything

I've been using Vista since SP1 (EARLY SP1), and I still haven't had a problem with it. I haven't run into a single program I can't get to run, and I'm running things from Windows 95 on here. I love the Vista taskbar, and the Sidebar is useful as well.

I've got ONE gripe. They moved everything. SO I had to re-learn locations and how to do things. But I'm very computer literate, it took me about an hour to be completely familiar with what I was going to be using it for. Now I just need to re-learn XP! Or in the case I ever decide to upgrade, Windows 7 if they've moved everything again.

rollfloor.gif

Let me the first to admit then that I must be computer illiterate.

If you never had an issue it’s because you never did anything

I do more than most on PC's. I'm an application developer for multiple OS environments.

Ok, the fastest boot I had from a doze environment is 95 build2222

The most stable I had was XP.

I presently have vista - and have had few issues - mysterious cd drivers going bye bye every once in a while - until sp2.

Vista is slower than XP and a resource hog (in other words, to get it to perform equal to XP - I had to add memory)

Win 7 looks like a viable upgrade IF it is not over priced. I have a feeling it is...

So, I will buy Win 7 or what ever is after it, next time I do a full system upgrade...

Ok, the fastest boot I had from a doze environment is 95 build2222

The most stable I had was XP.

I presently have vista - and have had few issues - mysterious cd drivers going bye bye every once in a while - until sp2.

Vista is slower than XP and a resource hog (in other words, to get it to perform equal to XP - I had to add memory)

Win 7 looks like a viable upgrade IF it is not over priced. I have a feeling it is...

So, I will buy Win 7 or what ever is after it, next time I do a full system upgrade...

Have you turned off the bells and whistles? (Aero, to be specific). It takes a lot of resources itself. IF I plan on doing something resource intensive, I turn it off.

Vista x64 SP2 on a 8gb core2 quad machine. Rock solid for me running vmware workstation 6 and 4 vm's. I wont be messing with windows 7 until at least SP2 on my production workstation.

I don't have the time to waste on bugs, drivers, or whatever the heck they didn't find during the testing.

I've been running it for about 3 months now. Really fast, really stable. Exactly what Vista should have been. Think of it as Windows Vista: Apology Edition.

Highly recommended. :devil:

I'm by no means a computer g33k but that was funny!

I have been running the final release from the msdn for about a week and love it. I have a solid state hard drive and have seen a huge increase in performance. 7 actually utilizes the speed of SS properly. The pinning of things to the tasj bar instead of having a quick launch has been a little different, but I am loving it now that I am used to it.

Guest Gun Geek

I have a computer distributor that I can get it from. If the order is large enough I get a decent discount. If there are enough people to get a good discount. I will sell it at cost. If you all are interested let me know.

I can also get just about anything else computer related. Since I dont really build computers anymore I am willing to order what ever for you guys at cost. Sometimes I can get a discount on the stuff at tigerdirect too through their wholesale program.

The official de-Windowsation has officially begun at the LagerHead household. After suffering through Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, and Vista, I've had enough.

Next year will see the first purchase of a real operating system in my house - Mac Snow Leopard. I've already made the switch to Blackberry and iPhone. Once, twice, thrice bitten, four times shy.