Springfield Armory SOCOM 16

Guest JHatmaker

Guest JHatmaker
If I didn't already have the cluster on my SOCOM II I would go with the TROY MCS or a Sage. You get the rail space, a pistol grip, and an adjustable stock. The VLTOR cluster is heavy for just a rail system, and the top rail sits very high, so you either need a cheek riser or the VLTOR stock which raises an inch and costs over $400 itself.

My M1A has sat in the safe for more than a year until this morning (was at the range for something else so I took it out and shot a few mags, I will never get rid of this gun :D). I would shoot it more but 308 aint cheap and mine doesn't like Brown Bear. I am waiting for Brownells to get the VLTOR stocks back in stock, they said later this month.

I've been looking at the Troy billet aluminum stock, the Vltor Modstock, J Allen's stock, and Sage's EBR (probably my favorite, and unfortunately quite pricey).

I priced out a J Allen with the Pic Rails, adjustable cheek stock, etc; and it came to $1395!!

My two favorite designs are Troy's complete stock assembly ($1200) and Sage's EBR ($730). I just can't see spending that much on a stock at this point (or ever) since I'm just a Mall Ninja, and will never use it to it's full potential. I'm just a sucker for cool ass stuff :D

Joe, looked at that link when I got home, that's the Troy set-up I'vd been wanting (sans butt stock).

Edited by JHatmaker
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one of those and turned around and sold it shortly thereafter. I want another one :).

I just don't understand. seems like I'm not the only one who does this. Why do we do this dreadful thing. :tough:

Edited by lowbud
Guest JHatmaker

The sight I have on it now is the Trijicon TriPower. Like Daniel said it was way off sight, I had to adjust it when I got home.

Put a lot of rounds through it Saturday, just a few on Sunday. I'm wanting to eventually put a Sage or Troy Ind replacement stock on it. Hopefully that'll help with the recoil a bit. Like I said, it's not bad, but it ain't good either.

The sight I have on it now is the Trijicon TriPower. Like Daniel said it was way off sight, I had to adjust it when I got home.

Put a lot of rounds through it Saturday, just a few on Sunday. I'm wanting to eventually put a Sage or Troy Ind replacement stock on it. Hopefully that'll help with the recoil a bit. Like I said, it's not bad, but it ain't good either.

The one in Modern Warfare 2 has the Sage EBR stock on it and it seems to have limited the recoil to minimal vibration in the palms.

:tough:

Guest BigShot

I might be all wet on this but I think the "Scout" has a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider that may help on the recoil. Not sure if it swaps but it may be worth a question.

BigShot :D

Here's a shot from a Scout...

MVC-012X.jpg

Edited by BigShot
added pic
I might be all wet on this but I think the "Scout" has a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider that may help on the recoil. Not sure if it swaps but it may be worth a question.

BigShot :popcorn:

Here's a shot from a Scout...

The SOCOM 16 uses a muzzle brake as well. I didn't think the recoil on mine was bad at all. Then again I never thought the recoil on my Mosin Nagant was as bad as people made it out to be.

soc16.jpg

soc16.jpg

Guest HexHead
the SOCCOM16..or Scout Squad is on my Christmas/bonus list...might need to trade in the MINI14

I'm old school. I want the walnut "'classic" M1A. I thought I wanted a Squad/Scout, but after fondling them both at Outpost during 2nd or None, I gotta stick with the original "son of the Garand".

Guest HexHead
Shoot more. You'll toughen up and not even notice it after a while. :popcorn:

He just got too used to that PS-90. :D

When I get mine, it'll follow the .303 Enfield and the .30-06 Garand. I doubt I'll even notice it. LOLOLOL

Guest JHatmaker
Shoot more. You'll toughen up and not even notice it after a while. :lol:

The more I shoot, the more it hurts! ;)

It's fine, just making an excuse to get a new stock for it...

• Admin Team
When I get mine, it'll follow the .303 Enfield and the .30-06 Garand. I doubt I'll even notice it. LOLOLOL

I had the pleasure of shooting a .303 Enfield when I was 11. I've got a mark on the bridge of my nose from where the scope bit me. To this day, that is my standard point of reference when judging recoil. If I fire it, and I'm not bleeding when I'm done, then I just need to suck it up because it wasn't as bad as the Enfield.

• 2 weeks later...