First hand defensive incident stories

i am very glad that i have never had to use my weapons to defend myself or my family but am always carrying and very glad to have them with me. i know there are alot of people on here and just wondering if anyone has a story or time when they actually needed their carry piece.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully, I have never had to shoot.

I did have to draw back in Jan or this year (2009) at the Sam's Club on Getwell, to defend from car jacking. I was filling my vehicle with gas at the Sam's gas pumps when a gang member walked from the McDonalds in front of Sam's. He was waving his arms and trying to hold my attention as hard as he could which made me think I may have had someone coming up behind me but upon inspecting my surroundings, no one else was there.

When he got to the front of my Jeep I told him to stop in a very forceful told which seems to throw him off a bit. He stopped and asked for a light for the unlit cigarette hanging from his mouth. I told him I had nothing for him and he should leave. He then took another step towards me and reached for my drivers door handle (I was standing at the back of the car, partly behind it for cover) and I again yelled "STOP!" I told him to leave.

He thrust his hand under his jacket and towards the small of his back while saying "I got something for you M*****F*****!"

I do not remember drawing but my gun (A Glock 23 at the time) was suddenly in my hand and on target. I can say I was very aware that I was beginning to take up the trigger. He dipped his shoulders away from me and turned 180 degrees and ran away shouting obscenities at me.

I called the police, they responded very quickly as there was already a cruiser in the Sam's parking lot. Another cruiser caught up to the bad guy about 2 blocks over. He did not have a gun but did have a bag of weed and a couple of warrants. The police assured me that they were quite sure that he did have a gun when I confronted him, but he had most likely ditched it before they caught up to him.

He was arrested for the warrants and weed but as there was no evidence that he had done anything other than ask me for a light, not for the apparent car jacking attempt.

Had I not been armed, I may well have been killed.

That's my story. I hope I never have another.

My wife and I were "walking the squares" in Savannah, GA. If anyone knows anything about Savannah, they know that you can go from a really upscale neighborhood to "the 'hood" in a matter of one block.

Well, we were admiring the architecture of the city and decided to take a "short-cut" to another street via an alley (this was my first trip to Savannah and I didn't know any better). As we were walking through, four men jumped out from behind two dumpsters on either side of the alley. I immediately pulled out my Beretta Cougar and flipped off the safety. I didn't do it aggressively, just kind of non-chalantly to my strong side. They were about 20 feet in front of us at this time. The second I de-holstered and flipped off the safety, one of the men shouted to his co-hotrs "He's got a gun". You've never seen people scatter like they did. You'd have thought their asses were on fire. I never fired a shot (glad I didn't have to), but right then and there, my HCP paid for itself in spades.

Guest JHatmaker
My wife and I were "walking the squares" in Savannah, GA. If anyone knows anything about Savannah, they know that you can go from a really upscale neighborhood to "the 'hood" in a matter of one block.

Well, we were admiring the architecture of the city and decided to take a "short-cut" to another street via an alley (this was my first trip to Savannah and I didn't know any better). As we were walking through, four men jumped out from behind two dumpsters on either side of the alley. I immediately pulled out my Beretta Cougar and flipped off the safety. I didn't do it aggressively, just kind of non-chalantly to my strong side. They were about 20 feet in front of us at this time. The second I de-holstered and flipped off the safety, one of the men shouted to his co-hotrs "He's got a gun". You've never seen people scatter like they did. You'd have thought their asses were on fire. I never fired a shot (glad I didn't have to), but right then and there, my HCP paid for itself in spades.

Wow, my wife and I took a trip to Savannah for an anniversary, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Glad everything worked out.

Chattanooga, Brainard Rd:

Wife and I decided to take in a late movie and after contacting our overnight babysitter we got the kids fed, bathed, and ready for bed.

Earlier I had tried some new hollow points in a .380 Walther PPKS and they fed 100% so I cleaned the weapon and put it on the refridge so instead of carrying the .45, I put on a Bianci IWB holster and took the Walther.

After the movie we went couple of places to eat and discovered they closed at 12:00 so I drove to the "Steak and Ale" which closed at 2 A.M. Parking lot was empty other than employee automobiles parked to the side.

Finished eating ~1:15 and left, as we got to the car, I let her in the passenger side, went around the back of the car to the drivers side and got in. It being her car and the ignition switch on the steering gear, I was fumbling with the keys and a motion to the left caught my attention. A man in a tan suit was running toward the car with his right hand in his pocket and his left reaching out for the door handle. I don't really remember getting the Walther but it was in my right hand with my left hand wrapped around it pointed at his head. He saw the weapon at the same time as my wife turned to see what was going on and screamed "DON"T KILL HIM". The guy vanished!

I don't have a clue what his plan was but if he had had opened the door or pulled a weapon, I would have fired.

Prior to this incident, I often wondered how I would react to a threat. At that instant I had no hesitation, practice took over and everything went as smooth as silk until it was over, then I was pretty well wired.

Makes carrying this steel brick worth while and since that incident I carry if I'm not in bed and even then it's not far away

Guest logicprevails

One Monday several years ago I was on the way home from work late, late at night. Driving northbound on White's Creek Pike, coming up 'Devil's Elbow', I noticed 2 individuals walking southbound in the middle of the road. This was around 3:00 am and a little out of place. I took the curb and increased speed and proceeded around them without contact. After rounding the curb, I noticed a vehicle in the ditch. Thinking they may need help, I turned around and approached them, halting the vehicle at an angle about 50 feet before reaching them. I did have my pistol in my hand at this point, out of their view. I shouted to inquire if they needed medical assistance. They began to walk toward me acting nervous and suspicious, one reaching into his waistband. I shined my light on them and let them know they needed to stop where they were and that I was armed, while presenting the pistol. They ran. Since this was in the day of poor cell reception, I had to drive to the top of the ridge to call to alert the police (anonymously, of course, and without the detail that I had 'drawn' since I did 'brandish'). I gave a description of the two on foot and the vehicle in the ditch. Within moments I heard emergency traffic (more than a couple of sirens) in route. I proceeded on my way. In that Wednesday's Robertson County Times, there was an article on how an anonymous call led police to capture two suspects wanted in an armed robbery/shooting at a Springfield liquor store. The suspects had robbed the store, shot the clerk (who lived) and stolen a pistol from the clerk. Both were armed at the time of capture. Looking back, I should have not turned back around, but merely called the authorities with the info on the two and the car's description. The net effect would have likely been the same and I would not have placed myself in a dangerous position.

I can tell you you're exactly right about hoping you're never forced to use your weapon, but thankful to have one when it counts.

In December 2004, 1 week before my wife and I got married we were leaving Dillard's at Hickory Hollow Mall about 9:30p. We had parked in the garage, but the Dillard's doors were locked where the rest of the mall was open until 10p for Christmas. This forced us to come outside and walk through the parking lot into the front of the garage.

We were coming down the sidewalk, when a Nissan Maxima approached behind us and 2 guys were on top of us before I knew it. We were walking side-by-side and we had 1 guy in front and 1 in back and 1 in the car. Both had handguns pointed right at me. I was carrying my Glock 27 at the time in a belt holster under my jacket. I can tell you I didn't even have time to draw.

They demanded money, wallets, phones, jewelry. I told my wife, fiance at the time, just to give them what they wanted. They got my phone, wallet, some jewelry, and took off. She was able to keep her phone, and believe it or not, they weren't smart enough to ask to see our hands, so she didn't offer her $3000 engagement ring.

We ran across the street to Applebee's and called 911 from my wife's cell phone. About 5 officers responded within 5 minutes. I was concerned that I was now carrying without my permit, since they took my wallet. When they approached me, I let them know I was a TN Carry Permit holder and I was armed, and they have taken my wallet. They didn't even say anything more about me carrying fortunately. I was thankful for that.

They got descriptions and wrote a report. I can say it really shook us up. It's been 5 years this December and we will never be the same. I felt like I was really aware of our surroundings before that night, but now we are constantly watching.

About 3 months later, we saw on the news an armed robbery ring had been caught in the Hickory Hollow area. We contacted the detective and went in and looked at photo lineups. We couldn't pick out the photos, but the detective said that based on the number of facts from our case that matched their routine, he was 90% sure if was the same guys. They had connected them to more than 30 armed robberies at that point. He said it was probably more like 50 since many of their victims were hispanic, and many of them do not report crimes such as this.

I've gone through the scenario in my head a million times thinking of different outcomes and have come to the following conclusion. I feel like I made the best decision I could've that night. My wife and I weren't hurt and they only got a few of our belongings. Our renter's insurance even paid for all the items we lost.

Moral of the story: I'm thankful we made it through that night and never leave home without a handgun! I would encourage everyone on here to do the same. Get your permits and carry.

Interesting situations so far. It's a good thing you all aren't part of the "if it leaves the holster there will definitely be gunfire" crowd.

What I've heard said is that if it leaves the holster you better be sure your ready to fire. Not that it guarantees you will. To that end, I think it is a sound idea.

What I've heard said is that if it leaves the holster you better be sure your ready to fire. Not that it guarantees you will. To that end, I think it is a sound idea.

Exactly. Brandishing with no intent to actually fire your weapon will get you killed. Brandishing when you are not authorized to use deadly force will get you thrown in jail. Just make sure when you pull it out you have good reason to use it and full intent to use it if needed.

Guest logicprevails

Looking back, there would have been many tactical and practical differences in how the entire situation would be approached by me today. Back then (20 some-odd years ago) I was younger and definitely dumber. After many years of training, pondering and assessing life, I do realize that being a good witness (unless use of the weapon is necessary to protect life and limb of me and mine) is the appropriate response.

Exactly. Brandishing with no intent to actually fire your weapon will get you killed. Brandishing when you are not authorized to use deadly force will get you thrown in jail. Just make sure when you pull it out you have good reason to use it and full intent to use it if needed.

The legal theory about "good reason to use it" is: Would a reasonable person in a similar set of circumstances be in immenent fear of loss of life or serious personal injury? I personally think in my circumstance, that criteria was met. There is no requirement that actual violence be perpetrated on a person first, that would completely negate the right to self defense because it would probably be too late.

And yes, I was fully prepared to fire. I was merely gathering as much information, in as little time as possible, to make my determination as to where my greatest threat was before taking aim. Had I taken aim, the trigger would have been pulled, period. I have no intention of playing the role of police officer and making an arrest. I would have to read them their Miranda Rights, then.

Thankfully, I have never had to shoot.

I did have to draw back in Jan or this year (2009) at the Sam's Club on Getwell, to defend from car jacking. I was filling my vehicle with gas at the Sam's gas pumps when a gang member walked from the McDonalds in front of Sam's. He was waving his arms and trying to hold my attention as hard as he could which made me think I may have had someone coming up behind me but upon inspecting my surroundings, no one else was there.

When he got to the front of my Jeep I told him to stop in a very forceful told which seems to throw him off a bit. He stopped and asked for a light for the unlit cigarette hanging from his mouth. I told him I had nothing for him and he should leave. He then took another step towards me and reached for my drivers door handle (I was standing at the back of the car, partly behind it for cover) and I again yelled "STOP!" I told him to leave.

He thrust his hand under his jacket and towards the small of his back while saying "I got something for you M*****F*****!"

I do not remember drawing but my gun (A Glock 23 at the time) was suddenly in my hand and on target. I can say I was very aware that I was beginning to take up the trigger. He dipped his shoulders away from me and turned 180 degrees and ran away shouting obscenities at me.

I called the police, they responded very quickly as there was already a cruiser in the Sam's parking lot. Another cruiser caught up to the bad guy about 2 blocks over. He did not have a gun but did have a bag of weed and a couple of warrants. The police assured me that they were quite sure that he did have a gun when I confronted him, but he had most likely ditched it before they caught up to him.

He was arrested for the warrants and weed but as there was no evidence that he had done anything other than ask me for a light, not for the apparent car jacking attempt.

Had I not been armed, I may well have been killed.

That's my story. I hope I never have another.

Yep, anything on Getwell is trouble. Glad you got out of it cleanly.

Interesting situations so far. It's a good thing you all aren't part of the "if it leaves the holster there will definitely be gunfire" crowd.

Actually, I was a member of that crowd, and to an extent I still am. I was in the process of squeezing the trigger when this idiot dipped his shoulders. in a way that was not a draw stroke and made me think he was turning to run. Turns out he was and had I continued to squeeze the trigger, I would most likely have hit him in the back. I am very grateful that I recognized what he was doing and did not end up shooting him in the back.

But I was fully prepared and in the process of shooting this scum bag.

Yep, anything on Getwell is trouble. Glad you got out of it cleanly.

Amen brother and so am I. I no longer go to that Sam's even though it is close to where I work. It just isn't worth the risk.

I use to hit that Sam's up for some Gas and an occasional visit inside....won't anymore. I wish the one on Covington Pike had a gas station.

Anyway, my story, another no shoot story, was when I worked at the bank at Union and Claybrook. The area of midtown Memphis has a lot of people walking around, there is a halfway house not far away with folks with mental issues, the VA hospital is several blocks west, Methodist Hospital was across the street, just a very busy area. Lots of people including panhandlers, hookers, a group of transvestite hookers, and ghetto on both sides. I was working late one night, security guard had left already, and closed up the bank, I had pulled my Jeep up across from the front doors of the bank beside the road. It was dark and I looked around before I unlocked, and set the alarm, no one, set alarm went out, locked door. I had to walk around the Jeep to my door. (I realize that was is a mistake, if possible, have your door facing you so that you don't have to go around, that makes a blind area that someone could be hiding) When I go behind my Jeep and around to my side, I notice a guy that is across the street in a rehab facility parking lot (not drinking/drug but injury rehab), walking toward me and starts yelling something. He is probably 50 yards away, long way off, plenty of time to get in my Jeep and be on my way.....wrong. Within seconds, he was coming right at me, he hit the street, and was within 20 feet of me coming at me with speed. I wear my XD in an inside the waistband tuckable CTAC holster and one thing I always did was untuck my shirt tail when leaving the bank. I have practiced the untuck with my weak hand, draw with my strong and do pretty good, but it is nice not to have that step. Anyway, I see that he is still coming and closing in, by this time I have my door open and he is about 3 door lengths away, I turn, with my left hand I put it up, yell back the F'k up, and have my right on my XD starting to draw down. This all happens in about 2 seconds from the back of my Jeep to me yelling at this guy. Dude does an "about face" and takes off running. Never have seen anybody turn that quickly in my life. A guy with a dark brown/black hoody on, couldn't see his face. He was probably a panhandler in the area, they are known to be very aggressive, didn't call the cops, talked to one later about it. Didn't want to "call it in" and possibly get fired. We are suppose to, by policy, not be there alone, nor leave by ourselvs, suppose to be two, but we needed sales and the sales mgr didn't care if we were by ourselves. I needed the job. Being aware of your surroundings is key and the closing speed of a motivated bad guy is amazingly quick. If I had not of seen this guy, he would had been on me about the time I was steping into my Jeep, which I would have been vulnerable. He might have only been going to ask me for some money to buy a cheeseburger, or buy gas so that he can get home, but you never know.

Had to call the cops on another one a few times, he hangs out or did in the Top's BBQ parking lot hitting up patrons.

All these stories kind of put a few holes in the anti-gun argument that gun owners are just waiting for an excuse to shoot someone. How did you all resist that irresistible temptation? :bs:

We weren't in restaurants that serve alcohol or a city/county park.:mad::D

Guest clsutton21

Don't know if it belongs here, but one day I was out in the back of our pastures tending to some fences when my dog got in front of me and began to growl as the hair on the back of his neck stood up and he bared all of his teeth. I'd never seen him act this way before so I put my hand on my side where my .357 magnum sits...just as I did that I heard a crashing noise coming through the woods and 2 large dogs, as tall as my waist came running out of the woods straight toward me with the meanest look I'd ever seen. The weird thing was that they ran right into the barbed wire and both fell down and still came at me. My dog was still standing in front of me and is by no means an attack dog, but the second I told him to, he ran right at both dogs grabbing one by the mouth while the other bit at him...I guess my dog could hear the quivering of my voice and knew he had to act. At that point I had my gun pointed at the larger of the two(the one that was attacking my dog), I yelled loud and he ran at me and I put him down 25 ft from me. I called my dog off the one that he now had on the ground and he ran to me. As he did, the other dog got up and started coming at me as well. I pulled the trigger and got him with 20 ft of me, he fell down but was not dead...even with a shot to the head. Overall it took 3 shots to kill that dog, he was determined to kill me. After it was all over, I looked at the dogs closer and noticed that one had scars all around his neck and the other had a small logging chain around his neck. I imagine that someone had them for fighting and dropped them off on the highway when they became too much trouble. I'm just glad I had my Ruger with me that day....now I carry it, or my 20ga, everywhere I go on the farm.

Don't know if it belongs here..........2 large dogs, as tall as my waist came running out of the woods straight toward me with the meanest look I'd ever seen...they ran right into the barbed wire and both fell down and still came at me..... I put him down 25 ft from me...... the other dog got up and started coming at me as well. I got him with 20 ft of me, he fell down but was not dead...even with a shot to the head......

:D

Don't know if it belongs here, but one day I was out in the back of our pastures tending to some fences when my dog got in front of me and began to growl as the hair on the back of his neck stood up and he bared all of his teeth. I'd never seen him act this way before so I put my hand on my side where my .357 magnum sits...just as I did that I heard a crashing noise coming through the woods and 2 large dogs, as tall as my waist came running out of the woods straight toward me with the meanest look I'd ever seen. The weird thing was that they ran right into the barbed wire and both fell down and still came at me. My dog was still standing in front of me and is by no means an attack dog, but the second I told him to, he ran right at both dogs grabbing one by the mouth while the other bit at him...I guess my dog could hear the quivering of my voice and knew he had to act. At that point I had my gun pointed at the larger of the two(the one that was attacking my dog), I yelled loud and he ran at me and I put him down 25 ft from me. I called my dog off the one that he now had on the ground and he ran to me. As he did, the other dog got up and started coming at me as well. I pulled the trigger and got him with 20 ft of me, he fell down but was not dead...even with a shot to the head. Overall it took 3 shots to kill that dog, he was determined to kill me. After it was all over, I looked at the dogs closer and noticed that one had scars all around his neck and the other had a small logging chain around his neck. I imagine that someone had them for fighting and dropped them off on the highway when they became too much trouble. I'm just glad I had my Ruger with me that day....now I carry it, or my 20ga, everywhere I go on the farm.

Wow, definately needs to be posted here. Just because the threat is not human, doesn't lesson the threat. I would say that dogs, especially trained for fighting dogs are more threatening than humans. Hope your puppy got a big ole steak or something that night!