Front Sight Courses

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Front Sight assets seized

Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:24:22 AM by rellimpank

At 11 a.m. Monday, Front Sight Firearms Training Institute and its president, Ignatius Piazza, went into receivership.

All financial transactions involving the firearms training facility -- from accepting payment for classes to paying staff and vendors -- must take place through a court-appointed administrator.

The facility and all assets have been seized by the court, down to the hundreds of firearms included as part of new members' benefits.

However, despite the ruling, this weekend at Front Sight everything was "business as usual," according to Operations Manager Rick Morello.

He said he knew nothing about the legal proceedings. "We have a big weekend coming up with a full schedule of classes," Morello said. "Business is booming."

The ruling, handed down by U.S. District Judge James Ware in San Jose, Calif., had its beginning in November 2005 when Stacy James, Bill Haag and Michael Schriber filed a class action suit against Piazza on behalf of themselves and other qualified Front Sight members.

From what I have seen, Front Sight seems to be one big infomercial. I had to remove myself from their mailing list because the constant emails were driving me nuts.

Guest Fltargetmaster

The Front Sight endeavor has had its troubles. The information that is available online reveals that the company had that "receivership" matter removed in a week or so after it was judicially imposed. They have had some really bad public exposure and press, and it seems much of it goes back to that "resort with guns" marketing.

Currently, from what I can read the Front Sight program has not continued the marketing that is based on a resort and land sales. IT has seemingly focused the sales and marketing on the firearms training. I was at that site this summer and would never buy land or a villa in that place, no matter how much hype and bullcrap was laid out as a sales pitch.( Hint: When the rest room facilities at all the ranges are porta potties, it says everything about the infrastructure) One needs to keep in mind that it was a sales gimmick..land development...ala timeshare in the future. Different sales gimmick now.

The coursework at the site is intense and focused, but directed to a large class. The instructors are reasonably competent and do pay attention to the coursework. The facilities are pretty decent are clean. Safety is stressed and emphasized ( and given the propensity to get bad press this really makes sense) From what I experienced, the course work was good and helpful. However the classroom material particularly on legal issues was pretty poor...but then again these instructors are not lawyers and really shouldn't play one up on stage. ( In other words, have a lawyer on tap who will tell you to say nothing... Ask a lawyer about this for it is a major issue that is rarely discussed)

The courses are expensive and from my perspective priced out of the range of most folks. From here in TN it's a really costly choice and I suspect there are plenty of local choices available.

Much of the bad publicity for FrontSight is misplaced. But there is a real oversell that goes along with the place,and if you get on the emailing list you will get loads of sales stuff. If you have a few thousand bucks to blow, try it. I'd think there are local courses that are as good if not better.

I remember not long ago, Front Sight members were selling vouchers on ebay for $100 that would get you into many of the "cool" classes that cost thousands. But you'd still have to pay for ammo, travel, lodging, etc. Don't know if this is still going on but you might want to look for those vouchers before paying full price.

Virtually all promotions based upon payment before receipt of goods or services should be viewed with great skepticism. Additionally, when promotions seem to flood you with contacts there is a real reason and it rarely favors your interests. Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware!

I hear they have really nice ranges and classrooms and such. If it is something you could afford I say go for it. But it is the infomercial of Personal Defense. I am just glad he didn't buy TV time with Billy Mays or the Wow Sham guy.

I attended the Four Day Defensive Handgun course earlier this year. I gave a longer report in another thread, but just wanted to say that course was really great and I plan to go again.

Is there a lot of marketing surrounding them? Yes, and you'll see and hear even more in the next few months based on their emails. But their training is top notch.

They offer specials of some sort all the time for first time students. The one they were promoting last week was take any course for $500. Really great deal. They openly tell you that they will offer low priced first time courses knowing that you'll see the value and want to come back or sign up for a lifetime membership with them. And they run specials on those from time to time, too.

As someone who has traveled from Tennessee to train with Front Sight, yes, it takes some effort and expense to travel, book a hotel and rental car. If you go, stay in Pahrump rather than Vegas - a lot less driving to Front Sight and back. I'd also recommend getting your ammo there after the hassle I went through to have mine shipped to a friend in Vegas. For the time and expense of shipping my seemingly lower priced ammo from TN to NV, it wouldn't have cost that much more to just buy it from their proshop.

Believe the hype - the training is really great - but see through the hype and you may notice there are lots of good nuggets of info even in some of the emails they send out.

Just my opinion...

You weren't kidding about the marketing push. Now they're selling "Pocket Pistol" lifetime memberships for a grand and tossing in a Keltec.

I know they've got huge legal settlements to pay off to some of the original members who sued them. Might explain the new push.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Front Sight in Sept. of this year and took the 2 day defensive handgun class. The class cost 100.00 (this was a promotional deal) and 50.00 for a background check (which I think is good for 1 year).

The ranges are nice with covered class areas at each range. There is no running water on site so to make up for it they have very clean porta pottys and plenty of cold water availble at each range. They had a large classroom and store.

I attended with my Pastor and another friend from church, and they are both 'lifetime' members. This is the only training of this type that I've had outside of the Army and my carry class.

Bottom line I had fun and got a lot out of the class.

• 1 year later...

I attended the Four-Day Defensive Handgun class at Front Sight last month (October, 2010). It was GREAT training. The ranges, the quality and scope of the training, and the professionalism of the staff are exceptional. I had no trouble flying out there on Southwest with my pistol and ammo (800 rds) in my checked luggage. They pack over 40 hours of training in those four days. I left feeling totally confident that I can use my firearm safely and effectively should the need arise. If would very difficult to exceed the quality of that training anywhere. It bettered by orders of magnitude the firearms instruction I received in the Army. I'm returning in March to take the Four-Day Practical Rifle class. If that's not an endorsement I don't know what is. The founder's legal troubles were about a resort and home lot aspect of the range operation that failed and all that has been resolved. There were over 500 students taking various classes there when I attended last month, and many were repeat visitors.

I can't support somebody who would use an in-dash video of a LEO getting shot to death as promotion for his company.

This is simple...., the owner of Front Sight (Ignatius Piazza) is exploiting the death of a police officer.

Google "Stop Screaming, Start Shooting…" Piazza's voiceover as the officer is being killed is beneath any sense of common dignity.