What is the dumbest self-defense advice you have ever heard?

To be fair, I totally ripped this idea off from a current thread over at THR. I just thought it was interesting, and might get some good answers here.

My contribution is the old....."shoot 'em in the yard, then drag 'em into the house" . :wall:

We STILL (unfortunately) hear this periodically in the HCP course, and always hasten to correct this misinformation. :D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gun Geek

Ha During my HCP class, my instructor is on this forum somewhere maybe he can vouch for this.

Old guy in back next to us "you mean to tell me that if you see a bank robber coming out of the bank you cant shoot that SOB in the back"

Instructor "No because he didnt threaten you, and he is running away there is no threat"

Old guy "Well say he points his gun at you then runs away, then can you shoot him in the back"

Instructor "You know I dont think you should have a permit"

To be fair, I totally ripped this idea off from a current thread over at THR. I just thought it was interesting, and might get some good answers here.

My contribution is the old....."shoot 'em in the yard, then drag 'em into the house" . :P

We STILL (unfortunately) hear this periodically in the HCP course, and always hasten to correct this misinformation. :drama:

I've actually heard that from several different LE's from Memphis to Nashville.;)

When confronted, RUN! :drama::P

I've always phrased that as "If you can disengage / deescalate the situation without resorting to shooting, and that includes running if the situation allows, then you should do so."

Call me crazy but that's always seemed like pretty good advice.

Guest Gun Geek
I've always phrased that as "If you can disengage / deescalate the situation without resorting to shooting, and that includes running if the situation allows, then you should do so."

Call me crazy but that's always seemed like pretty good advice.

I dont think that is what he meant. I took it as running as soon as you are confronted.

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em,

Know when to walk away and know when to run.

Edited by Gun Geek

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPoppa viewpost.gif

My contribution is the old....."shoot 'em in the yard, then drag 'em into the house" . :P

We STILL (unfortunately) hear this periodically in the HCP course, and always hasten to correct this misinformation. :drama:

I've actually heard that from several different LE's from Memphis to Nashville.;)
That is almost exactly what the police told my mother after our house was broken into while we were away when I was about ten years old(a long time ago). They told her that if someone was trying to break into the house to shoot them through the door and drag them inside and they(police) would take care of the rest.

I still don't think it is a good idea, but the above is an absolutely true story. Back then, a widow with two small children might have gotten away with it though.

Guest iamtwon

"Carrying one in the chamber is dumb" / "Cocked and Locked is dumb" / "+1 in a double action semi-automatic is dumb"

and

"Shoot to disable" / "Headshot's the only way to go"

Very, VERY common advice. I won't call somone stupid for saying either of these things, but I'll call them WRONG to their face, and explain why shortly thereafter.

Guest Muttling
"I use birdshot for home defense, I'm not trying to kill anyone!"

Birdshot is for little birds, not bad guys.

Actually, birdshot is lethal at close range and has the advantage of being unlikely to penetrate a wall. (I'm not a fan of birdshot for defense, but you will find this discussion presented by a number of self defense trainers talking about ammo selection.)

The dumbest one I've heard yet was from a coworker (and a scrawney guy at that.) "I don't need a gun. If they break in, I would just go insane and jump on them so fast they would be too stunned to react."

Back in VA, when we were robbed in the early '60's, the officer told Dad if he came back to "shoot him and drag him inside." I think that used to be fairly common advice.

Quite true, it was common advice many years ago. And I, being an old guy have heard it, back when forensics were quite primitive, unlike they are today. Back when the country was not so afraid of itself. Back when it was not so liberal. Back when we wanted to get the BGs off the street and not have to spend a fortune prosecuting and defending them. A whole lot cheaper for the taxpayer and easier on the LEOs. Good guys were good guys, bad guys were bad guys and the cops and PAs supported the good guys..

oldogy

Guest kingtone

The dumbest one I've heard yet was from a coworker (and a scrawney guy at that.) "I don't need a gun. If they break in, I would just go insane and jump on them so fast they would be too stunned to react."

actually.. IMHO...part of that isnt too dumb. the part about jumping on them so fast they would be too stunned to react is actually a principal of self defense. (good reading in 'Principals of Personal Defense' ; Jeff Cooper)

Sudden, Rapid and overly sharp response to an attack is ideal.

All you need to do now is to get your friend out of thinking he doesnt need a gun and he has the right idea!

so i would rate your friend only half dumb! :screwy: