I want to Yote hunt but dont know where

Guest m&p40

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem you have is our STUPID laws. Coyotes are open year-round, but there are so many stipulations and limitations on weapons that it is unGodly confusing at times. Ok ... rant over ...

As far as areas to hunt, "most" of the WMAs have a stable population. Chuck Swan, Catoosa, and LBL are literally packed. The area manager at Catoosa will point you to the areas that they are using (if you ask politely) because they want them thinned out. Just be CAREFUL about when you hunt a WMA, make sure you have the proper permits, and make certain that you have the proper FIREARM. No-where, no-way, no-time can you hunt coyotes on a WMA with a centerfire rifle. You must be a properly licensed and legal deer hunter to do that. (told you our laws were awful!)

Unless you are extremely familiar with the TWRA regulations on hunting coyotes, I would implore you to get a TWRA Hunting Guide and study it thoroughly.

It's so complicated that some of the wardens don't even understand the laws when it comes to coyote hunting.:screwy:

I live in the Murfreesboro area, and would like to know if anyone knows of anyone that would allow a safe, responsible, hunter to hunt coyotes on their private land. I want to hunt them because I believe they have been a major factor in destroying our quail and rabbit population, here in the Middle Tennessee area.

If no centerfire is allowed in the WMA, what is the gun of choice... a .17HMR, .22 Mag., or something else. I'm just thinking of getting into this, so any expert advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

If no centerfire is allowed in the WMA, what is the gun of choice... a .17HMR, .22 Mag., or something else.

This is a huge debate in some circles ......

But the 22WMR is my choice. It has proven itself several times. The 17HMR is a good round, but won't hold a light to the Mag under these circumstances.

The biggest problem you have is our STUPID laws. Coyotes are open year-round, but there are so many stipulations and limitations on weapons that it is unGodly confusing at times. Ok ... rant over ...

As far as areas to hunt, "most" of the WMAs have a stable population. Chuck Swan, Catoosa, and LBL are literally packed. The area manager at Catoosa will point you to the areas that they are using (if you ask politely) because they want them thinned out. Just be CAREFUL about when you hunt a WMA, make sure you have the proper permits, and make certain that you have the proper FIREARM. No-where, no-way, no-time can you hunt coyotes on a WMA with a centerfire rifle. You must be a properly licensed and legal deer hunter to do that. (told you our laws were awful!)

Unless you are extremely familiar with the TWRA regulations on hunting coyotes, I would implore you to get a TWRA Hunting Guide and study it thoroughly.

It's so complicated that some of the wardens don't even understand the laws when it comes to coyote hunting.;)

No centerfire rifle cartridges? WTF are you supposed to use...a sling-shot?

No centerfire rifle cartridges? WTF are you supposed to use...a sling-shot?

EXCEPT during deer season, you are limited to rimfire. And if you are carrying a centerfire rifle or pistol, you had better have the proper deer hunting permits ... even if you're coyote hunting. (Except perhaps on private land)

Like I said: Anyone contemplating a coyote hunt had better get a Hunting Guide and study it ... twice (at least). Our regs here are so complicated when it comes to coyote hunting that it takes a rocket scientist to figure them out.

I talke to the Royal Blue officer last year and he said "you can use T shot while goose season is in". A good 12ga with T shot with a good choke can put them down. If ya partner up with someone, use a 12 ga and 22mag. I've killed them with both.

But you can hunt with a centerfire o n private property? And if you want to hunt WMA with a centerfire you must have big game license, do you have to be drawn for a deer hunt say if your hunting coyote in chuck swan?

But you can hunt with a centerfire o n private property? And if you want to hunt WMA with a centerfire you must have big game license, do you have to be drawn for a deer hunt say if your hunting coyote in chuck swan?

On ANY Management area, you must be a LEGAL hunter for another season in order to coyote hunt ... unless there is an exception noted (as in LBL in February). In other words ... if you are legally hunting squirrel in season, then you can take coyotes legally. If you are legally hunting deer in season, then you can take coyotes legally. If you are legally waterfowl hunting, then you can take coyotes legally. Likewise, if the area is operating a quota deer hunt, then you will need to have the appropriate permits for the deer hunt in order to be there. Although coyote season is "open" year-round, they are for the most part only available to us in what would be called a "target of opportunity" when legally hunting other game.

WHY Tennessee sees fit to arrange our laws in this manner is beyond my comprehension. Other states (Texas, Montana, South Dakota, Arizona for example) have their laws structured to allow predator hunting 24/7/365 with the weapon of your choice unless you are in an area that is having a quota big game hunt or other type of managed hunt.

On private property, you can hunt coyotes year-round with any firearm and only a hunting license. However, this is a gray area that can come under scrutiny from a warden if he comes upon you. (I wouldn't recommend this during deer season without a big game stamp, for example) Obviously, if you are carrying an electronic caller and broadcasting distress sounds, you are undoubtedly predator hunting. Most officers that I have talked to understand this and will not bother you. But nonetheless, it is still a very confusing issue and is usually up to the individual officer's decision as far as the legality of what you are doing.

Makes PERFECT sense, huh? :up:

Edited by Hidalgo
  • 1 month later...

Looks like the best thing to do is make friends with someone that has a large land area farm. Those kind of farmers probably has livestock they would like protected from coyotes. I'm looking for one that will let me hunt on their land myself. Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

Coyote is one thing. Read the regs for feral hog. Talk about confusing? You can take feral hog on any legal hunt with the weapon legal for that species. The State and Federal wildlife officials want these hogs GONE! Well, next time I'm out squirrel hunting, I want those "official rule makers" to go with me. I want them to show me how to kill a 300lb feral hog with a load of low brass 6's! If the game department truly wants coyotes and feral hogs brought under control...make it easier for us to do so!

you can hunt swan any time squirrel season is open but you have to use a rimfire or shotgun. If you are drawed for a gun deer hunt you can hunt them with a center fire. after deer season is over, you can hunt them state wide with a center fire untill the bow hunt opens back up in sept, then it's back to rimfire.

after deer season is over, you can hunt them state wide with a center fire untill the bow hunt opens back up in sept, then it's back to rimfire.

Just to clarify your statement a little more ....

This is NOT the case on a WMA. You do NOT want to get caught on a WMA with a centerfire rifle except during deer season. Public land is another story.

No-where, no-way, no-time can you hunt coyotes on a WMA with a centerfire rifle. You must be a properly licensed and legal deer hunter to do that. (told you our laws were awful!)

2. Shotguns using ammunition loaded with

T (0.20 inch diameter) or smaller shot

are legal for hunting coyotes and beaver

except during big game seasons.

5. Rifles and handguns using center-fire

ammunition are legal for hunting beaver,

bobcat, coyotes, fox, groundhogs,

and crows, except during deer, bear or

boar seasons. For specific restrictions on

WMA’s see page 44.

which leads you to:

Small game hunting with center-fire rifles and shotguns: Rifles and

handguns using center-fire ammunition are prohibited for hunting

all small game species on wildlife management areas with only a few

exceptions: Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal for hunting beaver, bobcat, foxes, coyotes, feral hogs, groundhogs, and crows, only during deer season and the hunter must be a licensed legal deer hunter. Coyotes may be taken on any hunt but only with the firearm or archery equipment that is legal for that hunt.

There is the problem. One section tells you it's legal, the other section tells you it's legal only with the firearm equipment legal for that hunt. So, by the regs, if I'm going on a coyote hunt (the type of hunt I'm doing) it's legal to use a centerfire unless it's big game season; then I can only use what's legal for big game so I can use a centerfire rifle during G/M/A. They need a major re-write of the regs by someone who can read and write the English language. Instead, we get morons who write a new law and don't bother updating anything other than the one blurb that is changed. They don't know the laws enough to realize ONE change causes a chain reaction resulting in 2-20 sections needing to be changed to prevent these silly contradictions.

The truly idiotic point being I can use any centerfire for deer so I can use any centerfire for any day time coyotes. Night hunting opens a whole different can of worms.

I live in the Murfreesboro area, and would like to know if anyone knows of anyone that would allow a safe, responsible, hunter to hunt coyotes on their private land. I want to hunt them because I believe they have been a major factor in destroying our quail and rabbit population, here in the Middle Tennessee area.

If no centerfire is allowed in the WMA, what is the gun of choice... a .17HMR, .22 Mag., or something else. I'm just thinking of getting into this, so any expert advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

A shotgun or muzzleloader. The rimfires don't have enough juice unless you are getting them close. The 17 rimfires are especially underpowered.

Edited by grimel

ON a WMA you can' only be hunting during a drawn hunt with a drawn permit.

On ANY Management area, you must be a LEGAL hunter for another season in order to coyote hunt ... unless there is an exception noted (as in LBL in February). In other words ... if you are legally hunting squirrel in season, then you can take coyotes legally.

But nonetheless, it is still a very confusing issue and is usually up to the individual officer's decision as far as the legality of what you are doing.

Makes PERFECT sense, huh? :)

As I posted a few posts up, the guide says:

Small game hunting with center-fire rifles and shotguns: Rifles and

handguns using center-fire ammunition are prohibited for hunting

all small game species on wildlife management areas with only a few

exceptions: Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal

for hunting beaver, bobcat, foxes, coyotes, feral hogs, groundhogs, and

crows, only during deer season and the hunter must be a licensed legal

deer hunter. Coyotes may be taken on any hunt but only with the firearm or archery equipment that is legal for that hunt.

Here is where the idiocy starts.

By the regs, if I am legally hunting on a WMA I can only take coyotes with the gun that is legal for that hunt. So, if I am coyote hunting during the non-big game legal hunting time for that WMA I can kill coyotes with coyote legal guns. Which are shotgun, muzzleloader, rimfire and centerfire (except I can't use a centerfire during big game when I have to use a centerfire).

Makes perfect sense.;)

I'd really like to see some court case on this. If the guns in rest was tossed for being "ambiguous" this crap should result in criminal action against the TWRA.

• 2 weeks later...
With all of the confusion, it looks like it would be advisable to carry a "current" copy of these rules on one's person, anytime they're hunting, on WMAs and private land!

While that's a good idea, a much better statement is to make DARN SURE you know the regs and are legal.

And FWIW ... TWRA is going to be the winner in any disagreement. So prevention is the prime objective here.