Why Marswolf hates Glocks

Urse

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing some more training [sigh] and I've been trying to chase down the information about the "new" Glock supported chamber.

I met a guy who is a real Glock fan. We had a good discussion about all things Glock and it was a really constructive conversation. He likes Glocks for the normal reasons, but is able to say nice things about other guns too, when warranted. He even said that the M&P was more accurate for him than his Glocks. After they resuscitated me, we continued the conversation. :confused:

...but, I think I've said nice things about other guns too.:P

All joking aside, I saw some pictures recently that showed newer Glock 40S&W chambers and older chambers. It did appear that the newer ones had more support in that area. This was news to me, as I am not really a "40 fan" and hadn't paid attention to any changes.

Some folks just seem to shoot certain guns better than others. It's an individual thing, more about the shooter than the gun. Glocks have always been best for me w/ Beretta and S&W autos running 2nd. I don't really have much experience w/ H&K except for a P7, which I could never really get used to.

For me, the Beretta 92 shoots best, followed by the P7M8. I do very well with the USP as long as I shoot at least once a month. I did fine with the G26 and G23 too. They just shot differently.

I'm told that the change in feed ramp contour and additional chamber support came about with the Gen 3. That was what my G23 was. A quiet bit of a trade off of reliable feeding for a bit more safety.

I love shooting Beretta 92FS'. I've owned two, but I can't seem to keep them. Something better comes along and I sell. The last one I bought was near mint for $350, so there are always more out there if I want one again. The first one I bought was near new also, and it was only $300.

I like the 92FS as well, never owned one, but I will, possibly my next purchase, unless a good deal on a Kimber/Colt/S&W 1911 doesn't come along. Qualified with them at Ft. Knox.

Guest EasilyObsessed

A 92FS INOX was my first gun. Over 6k rounds and never once had a single problem. I have been giving some thought to picking up one of the new 90-Twos.

Reef - Where did you manage to find them so cheap? At that price I may have to pick up another one.

Guest Mugster

Right before I left the army I qualified with a 92. They don't point as well as a .45 or a browning hp(for me anyway), but it was a good shooting pistol. They also seem a bit larger in your hand. Guy at the range the other day had both a baretta and the taurus copy. He said he liked the taurus better. Something about the safety mechanism on the taurus was different...i'm sure you guys probably know this.

I just can't get excited about glocks. I like a sweet single action trigger pull and a nice pointing handgun if I'm owning it, and glocks or sigs just don't do it for me. I wouldn't feel undergunned or anything with a glock, i just like the older sao design better for knocking holes in paper or tearing up cans.

God! I just went through hell!!!

I spent some time over at Glock Talk trying to chase down more information about the chamber support. (Hey, I DO try to be fair) Not much about that, since the big change apparently doesn't exist, but I read post after post of pompous people saying (or convincing themselves?) how safe their Glocks are. They were just frantic - absolutely frantic - to say how safe they are with quality factory ammunition. It was so saccharine I thought I was going to develop diabetes. :blah:

Even supposed Glock haters like me know they are sufficiently mechanically safe with quality once-shot ammo. You don't have to convince sensible people of that and you can't convince un-sensible people of anything. We won't go into Glock-leg/butt and stuff right now. :P

You know, I like H&Ks and I like Berettas and Kel-Tecs and a bunch of other gun brands, but I don't spend time on gun specific boards. I only visit those boards when I'm looking for specific information about one of those guns. Most of what you read on those boards is how wonderful that gun brand is. Sort of a mindless mutual admiration society. It doesn't matter if its a H&K or Glock board. I can't stand to wade through the fluff and crap to get to the nuggets of true wisdom.

I find my time is better spent on boards where you have people who like and dislike a variety of guns. Useful information come out of the food fights. I've learned some stuff over the years on boards where people fight about which guns are good and which are lousy. I first heard about Kel-Tecs and SA XDs on boards. Made me want to try them. I'm that way about M&Ps now because of comments on this board and those comments getting me to talk to other local gun users about them. Note that M&Ps and XDs are essentially Glock-like guns with additional features.

And to keep this topic properly contentious... :blah:

Have you noted that the M&P chamber is properly supported while the Glock isn't? :P

God! I just went through hell!!!

Even supposed Glock haters like me know they are sufficiently mechanically safe with quality once-shot ammo. You don't have to convince sensible people of that and you can't convince un-sensible people of anything.

Glocks are the Corvairs of the gun world. Unsafe with any load. If the design features of the Glock were in a $100 Saturday Night Special, everyone would be ridiculing it and saying that the people who hurt or kill themselves with it deserved what they got for buying such a poorly designed gun.

Will the real Marswolf please stand up?