Where Will The Population Flee?

Guest KarlS

We can prepare ourselves all we want for disaster. It could be natural, or manmade. I think the natural we all have a handle on. We survive it hopefully and go back to our homes if they are still standing. What would happen in a government collapse senario? What would happen if our government did as Germany did in it's collapse and start selling off our real estate and natural resouces? Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac have 52% of the housing in the US plus all the federal lands. Could they do that? Look at the state of Alaska. As big as it is the Feds own most of it. They have locked up imense natural resources along with oil and natural gas. They have classified a pool of oil thats thought to be a larger reserve than Saudia Arabia's supply. Could they bail out this country as Russia did by selling off Alaska? (Seward's folly)

My question is this.... What state do you consider to be the best survival state?

I'm all for being by myself where there is an abundance of fish and game. I'm also looking to be near our border with Canada. There may actually be folks fleeing our government. I'm thinking northern border states. I have lived in Ak for a long time and it's a possibility, although every day is survival and game is not as easy as you'd think to come by. Weather is definately a factor. Maine, Minnesota, Montana.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you flee to the mountains you're going to find that it looks similar to Walmart a couple of days before Christmas. Maybe you can get your tools back from the neighbor who borrowed them and has been avoiding you all this time...he'll probably be, oh, ten feet that way, mind everyone else's toes as you push your way to him.

Many will die, rather than flee (a la Katrina). They will not believe it can happen, and if it does, they will not have the capacity (mental or physical) or the resources to act. They will sit and wait for help to come where they are.

That said - TN is a pretty good survival state. Most of the South is. Half my family lives in Alaska though - Ive been there a few times. They live in a much higher survival mode that most of us on a regular basis. They are more prepped than I, but they need to be - survival is harder in Alaska. TN is pretty temperate. Vast resources, with pretty good rain and not overlly populated.

Edited by TNTitan
Many will die, rather than flee (a la Katrina). They will not believe it can happen, and if it does, they will not have the capacity (mental or physical) or the resources to act. They will sit and wait for help to come where they are.

Good point! Never looked at it that way.

If things get really bad, living in a small town in the South is the best place to be. Choose a spot where water is plentiful. South Eastern TN is great, I think. Make good friends. Save up on food. Have a .22 rifle for hunting small game. Have a wood burning stove for the winter months. No. USA is too cold, and winters are too long.

Most will be trapped in the city. They have no way out other than public transportation. The police can't cover every possible way out of the city and gangs of looters can cover it.

And if they were bussed out by the government most would be sent to gov shelters. The few who have family in the country might make it there and survive till they run out of seeds. I think if its really bad there wont be anyone to sell you what you need even if you have gold and silver to bater with.

The problem with East Tennessee is there are a lot people that live here. Of the three Grand Divisions of the state, East Tennessee has the largest population.

The other thing about East Tennessee is you have a large chunk of land that is mountainous and it's much harder to live comfortably there. Therefore the population centers around the Tennessee Valley.

Places not to be would be California, Eastern Texas, the Northeast, the Eastern Seaboard from Florida to Maine, the Mid-West and Georgia. If we are talking about a REAL disaster, any large city is going to become a death zone real quick. Katrina proved that. Imagine a Katrina type disaster hitting the whole country. The power grid goes down. Running water is cut off after the backup generators start to fail. The Government will not be able to handle it and will breakdown fairly quickly. People will start to loot, stealing everything they can. Medicines will become hard to get. People that need certain medicines to survive will die (Insulin come to mind).

Almost overnight food supplies will diminish and then vanish all together in the cities. People are going to start moving out of those cities as soon as food becomes unavailable. They will move along the paths of least resistance (Think the interstate system). They will move along those routes first. Smaller cities and towns along Interstates will become the next death zones as food dwindles there as well because of refugees. There will be mass starvation everywhere. People will begin fighting. If you want to truly be safe your best bet is to move where there are not a lot of people and there is no easy access from the major urban population centers.

In my mind the best place to survive would be somewhere where there are not a lot of people that you are potentially having to fight for resources. With that in mind, I'd think Alaska, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, North and South Dakota and the upper peninsula of Michigan would be the places you probably would want to be.

I'm not sure we'd be all that safe in Tennessee. We have four large metropolitan centers here, Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville. Where are all those people going to go when it gets bad? right out into the country.

Not sure how friendly those of us in the south, are going to be to refugees when we probably will need everything we have just to feed our own families. I think it would get ugly real quick.

Edited by Moped
In my mind the best place to survive would be somewhere where there are not a lot of people that you are potentially having to fight for resources. With that in mind, I'd think Alaska, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, North and South Dakota and the upper peninsula of Michigan would be the places you probably would want to be.

That's been my thought all along. I want to compete with nobody for any resources available. I'm all for getting away from the major cities. People in the city who never thought to learn how to survive or hunt and fish will become common thieves and loot those of us who do know how. Many are used to handouts and when they get cut off they'll come looking.

I agree with the Eastern seaboard as being a no go except northern Maine and NH. There's a ton of good fish and lots of moose and deer. Wackin a moose would keep you going for awhile. If need be easy access for quick escape into Canada if things get real bad.

I have my doubts about Alaska. Aside from the sheer difficulty of everyday living and very few roads there are 4 major military bases along with a misile launch site. It's always been known as a strategic military location so would also make a target. I lived the better part of my adult life in AK and still have family living there, but would not make it my prime survival destination. Too cold! :popcorn:

To0 many large metropolitan areas in the North East to make any place there viable for survival. Canada could be an option except a large part of the Canadian population leaves in the east too. Western Canada would be better to go to. Unfortunately Canada isn't very friendly to our kind. They don't like firearms there.

Guest tnvolfan

Karl, I saw the Glenn Becks show about the implosion of the US currency, and I think it will truly happen, ESPECIALLY if this healthcare bill gets passed. God help us if it does. NO ONE IN WASHINGTON IS LISTENING TO THE PEOPLE. THE MAJORITY OF CITIZENS DO NOT WANT GOVERNMENT-BASED HEALTHCARE! All these reps want to do is pass a bill AT ANY COST! It's totally crazy!

If the worst nationwide rapid financial meltdown happened, ala the scenario in the book Patriots, at least 80% of the population would not even attempt to "flee" until flight was nigh impossible except on foot.

They (we) would live, actually mostly die, in place.

- OS

I agree with that mostly OS. But I think a lot of the bad customers would try to get out along with a lot of the smart ones. The dumb ones that drink the party koolaid would be the ones that end up dieing in place. Smart and bad could actually be a bad combo. Smart and bad could mean Very Evil. It would not be a fun place to live in.

If the worst nationwide rapid financial meltdown happened, ala the scenario in the book Patriots, at least 80% of the population would not even attempt to "flee" until flight was nigh impossible except on foot.

They (we) would live, actually mostly die, in place.

- OS

I guess then we need to focus on being in the 20% that's smart enough to figure it out before the SHTF. Terrible to say but your senario could happen. They are printing way too much money and very soon we'll be into a hyperinflation state. The feds will have no way to recoup as spending will come to a standstill. I think we here on this forum are pretty well informed.

Legally it doesn’t matter who owns the land if here is not way to enforce ownership.

Living off the land and being in the great outdoors sounds real good…. Until the owner of the property puts bullet through your head and calls it a day. ;)

Walking around carrying a gun doesn’t necessarily make you safe; it may just make you a high value target.

Legally it doesn’t matter who owns the land if here is not way to enforce ownership.

Living off the land and being in the great outdoors sounds real good…. Until the owner of the property puts bullet through your head and calls it a day. ;)

Walking around carrying a gun doesn’t necessarily make you safe; it may just make you a high value target.

Living off the land in the great outdoors sounds GREAT from the comfort of your heated/air conditioned living room...until you have to do it for a long time.

I still plan on taking a Wally World!

For anyone planning on living off the land...I'll gladly trade some popcornballs for deer jerky! :doh:

If you take one make sure it's a Super Wally World then call your friends to hold it down. Judging from ammo supplies in Walley World bring a .40 and leave your 45's and 9's for us out in the woods. Keep the popcorn balls. I'd be looking for some cold beverages. Stay out of the cooler or you'll never hold it down.

Guest 22-rimfire

You sure could sleep a lot of people at most Super Walmarts. Hope the electricity stays on, so the food doesn't spoil in the coolers.

I'm staying home to live or die. Not heading for the woods or the mountains. Great place to starve to death or freeze due to a poor shelter. About the only thing going for the woods is concealment and the possibility of a squirrel or deer.

Edited by 22-rimfire

An excellent reference is James Rawles' book "How to Survive the End of the World (as we know it)". Lots of really good advice for normal times as well.

I'd expect most cities to have 50% or more of the population to Die in Place (DIP). Whether by earthquake, fire, starvation or murder, there will be a huge death toll. Second, the avenues of escape will be along the interstates and major roads. If you are 40-50 miles away from a city and 10 miles from an Interstate, you are unlikely to see large numbers of refugees. Naturally, the further the distance, the fewer refugees. Being close to a place viewed as a refuge will expose you to a large number of refugees. Military bases, and undamaged cities will be seen as a refugee. Smaller cities near the interstate are not a good choice to live. Dickson, Murfreesboro, Clarkesville, Cookeville, and other such cities will see large numbers of refugees. Chattanooga is a natural choke point. It will be swamped. Especially if there are refugees from Atlanta. From the middle of TN, south of I-24 and north of I-40 are relatively good places to be. There are also some areas between I-40 and I-24 that are not bad. City folk tend to try to get to another city, but will spread out from major traffic routes. In TN, the biggest danger of large numbers of refugees is from Memphis and Atlanta. Nashville and Knoxville are less likely to have large numbers leave, but probably will be seen as a refuge.

West TN is likely to suffer incredible damage in an earthquake as the geology there transmits energy quite well. Memphis is a death-trap in almost any kind of disaster.