Wear a vest!!!

Or don't stand too close to the steel target you are shooting....

I was out shooting my steel targets I made a few months ago. I was about 25 yards away when I shot and a piece of the round ricocheted back, hitting me in the side.

Unfortunately I neglected to put on my vest when I went out back to shoot. I figured I was only going to shoot one mag and I didn't need to bother this time. Luckily it didn't penetrate any deeper than it did.

A minor injury that placed a few inches to the right could have been serious.

shot.jpg

Wear a vest or move back when shooting steel.

Rifle caliber was .308

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I designed them to slope down and back, deflecting into the ground, also to swing back to dissipate some energy.

I figure I shot while it was swinging back towards me resulting in shooting at nearly perpendicular angle to the steel.

BTW, that FAL is awesome.

Edited by Mike
I thought shooting fmj at steel was a known bad.

Shooting lead nosed ammo, not FMJ.

"So I was shooting this steel target with my .308 at 25yds..."

Sounds like the beginning of a lot of bad stories.

Never said it was my brightest moment...

I designed them to slope down and back, deflecting into the ground, also to swing back to dissipate some energy.

I figure I shot while it was swinging back towards me resulting in shooting at nearly perpendicular angle to the steel.

BTW, that FAL is awesome.

Glad you like it :doh: I thought it was pretty sweet myself...now just be more careful with it! :P

Guest mikedwood
"So I was shooting this steel target with my .308 at 25yds..."

Sounds like the beginning of a lot of bad stories.

Just what I was thinking.

Man I am so glad you are OK with a cool scar to show for it.

I have been thinking of making some steel targets for some 9mm shooting. You may have talked me right out of it.

I'm going to modify mine to where they won't swing out. I've got to design a limiter to keep them swing ing back but never out.

Honestly they work great, and deflect the rounds into the ground. I just have revise my design to keep this from happenning again.

Guest Todd@CIS
Damn dude. I bet the chicks dig the wound though.

+1

Now just make up a good lie expaining how you got it.

Chicks won't be impressed with the real reason. :D:D

There is a video on U-Tube that shows a guy shooting a target that is attached to a steel sign post pole. The guy fires and instantly his hat flies off of his head backward. The ricochet came straight back and grazed the top of his head. An inch lower and it would have been one shot one kill, right between the eyes.