10 year old daughter

Have a ten year old daughter that has expressed interest in going to range with her dad. She saw youtube video of another daughter (11) shooting with her dad and ask me if she could come. So guess my question is there age to early to learn? Also if I do let her come tips suggestions etc...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one I have problems with on my boy "13" is to take one shot, take the finger off the trigger, look where you hit, try to improve on the next shot.

He has a bad case of the Playstation triggerfinger.

If one has a single shot or bolt gun in .22 they are amazeing to start with.

Guest TJones8611

Last year I allowed my 11 year old to shoot with me. We went to the barn and she shot about 5 rounds with my Sig P220 .45. Before shooting, we covered all the safety aspects along with the fundamental parts of the handgun. I had her sight, dry fire a couple of times, then allowed her to go live. After each shot, I had her rest while pointing the gun in a safe direction, wanted to teach her patience and sighting. It went well and I think she enjoyed it. I dont think 10 is to young as long as we stress that these are not toys and that they serve a purpose, a lethal porpose, and a purpose we hope to not need....just my 2 cents.

Guest coldblackwind

Heck, my 3 year old will shoot a bb gun or a .22 (I have two for kids, one that was cut down for me when I was 5, and another my dad picked up for a good deal along the way), she loves it. Its just a matter of teaching them about safety, and them keeping a close eye on them. Helps that she isn't big enough to really hold the rifle up, so I basically hold it, and she pulls the trigger :yum:

Supervision is the key. Each child is different. If they want to shoot, let them shoot. I think my kids all started around 7 with a pellet gun in the backyard. Now whenever we get together a trip to the range is mandatory.

If you are interested in teaching and not just getting involved, I think it is better to start with single shot or bolt action with iron sights to teach the basics of proper sight picture and trigger control. If this is learned first, there will be a greater appreciation of optics when it comes time for that. Just my opinion. Kinda like learning how to walk before you run.

If you are interested in teaching and not just getting involved, I think it is better to start with single shot or bolt action with iron sights to teach the basics of proper sight picture and trigger control. If this is learned first, there will be a greater appreciation of optics when it comes time for that. Just my opinion. Kinda like learning how to walk before you run.

I don't know about the not getting involved :yum: but a big +1 on this post!!

Well said!

I learned how to shoot when I was four years old on a Winchester mod. 94 lever action .22 lr. My dad would kneel down and have me stand behind him. He'd put the gun over his right shoulder and hold onto the fore end while keeping it pointed towards the target, and I would look through the scope, aim and pull the trigger. That's how I got hooked!

I don't think there's anything wrong with starting a young child out with optics or lasers/red dots. As a matter of fact, I think it will actually improve your chances of gaining their attention and getting them interested faster than if you were having them use iron sights. Let me explain.

Getting the correct sight picture and learning how to use iron sights properly (where you can actually hit a can or something that you're aiming at) is a little difficult for a young child. If they can't actually hit something and make it fall over or do something pretty quick.....they completely lose interest. Now, if all they have to do is put the little red dot or the crosshairs where they want the bullet to go, that's easy and fun and they will stay interested. Be sure to use targets that do something.....fall over, blow up, make a "ting" noise, whatever....interactive targets are the key to keeping them interested. Punching holes in a piece of paper just isn't any fun for a kid. ;)

I say go ahead and start with lasers, red dots, or scopes when first teaching them how to shoot. After they're hooked on shooting and have learned how to safely handle a gun, then break out the iron sights.

I moved from that old model 94 with a scope, to revolvers and rifles with iron sights and shotguns with bead sights with no problems at all.

Regarding the right age to teach a child how to shoot.....I think that completely differs from child to child. It depends on their attention span, ability to listen and follow directions, and most of all, their interest in learning how to shoot. I learned when I was four and picked it up right away. My son is almost five and he still isn't quite ready. I got him an airsoft P-22 this summer and he could care less about it. I play with it more than he does! :P I need to put a laser on it for him......I think that will make a world of difference. :crazy:

Good luck with teaching your daughter Harold! A pretty pink .22 bolt action, 10-22, or Sig Mosquito would be a cool thing for her to find under the Christmas tree this year! :)

I learned how to shoot when I was four years old on a Winchester mod. 94 lever action .22 lr. My dad would kneel down and have me stand behind him. He'd put the gun over his right shoulder and hold onto the fore end while keeping it pointed towards the target, and I would look through the scope, aim and pull the trigger. That's how I got hooked!

I don't think there's anything wrong with starting a young child out with optics or lasers/red dots. As a matter of fact, I think it will actually improve your chances of gaining their attention and getting them interested faster than if you were having them use iron sights. Let me explain.

Getting the correct sight picture and learning how to use iron sights properly (where you can actually hit a can or something that you're aiming at) is a little difficult for a young child. If they can't actually hit something and make it fall over or do something pretty quick.....they completely lose interest. Now, if all they have to do is put the little red dot or the crosshairs where they want the bullet to go, that's easy and fun and they will stay interested. Be sure to use targets that do something.....fall over, blow up, make a "ting" noise, whatever....interactive targets are the key to keeping them interested. Punching holes in a piece of paper just isn't any fun for a kid. ;)

I say go ahead and start with lasers, red dots, or scopes when first teaching them how to shoot. After they're hooked on shooting and have learned how to safely handle a gun, then break out the iron sights.

I moved from that old model 94 with a scope, to revolvers and rifles with iron sights and shotguns with bead sights with no problems at all.

Regarding the right age to teach a child how to shoot.....I think that completely differs from child to child. It depends on their attention span, ability to listen and follow directions, and most of all, their interest in learning how to shoot. I learned when I was four and picked it up right away. My son is almost five and he still isn't quite ready. I got him an airsoft P-22 this summer and he could care less about it. I play with it more than he does! :P I need to put a laser on it for him......I think that will make a world of difference. ;)

Good luck with teaching your daughter Harold! A pretty pink .22 bolt action, 10-22, or Sig Mosquito would be a cool thing for her to find under the Christmas tree this year! ;)

wow - so many nails hit right on the head! ;)

My 5-year-old son has been shooting since age three. All with red dots to this point.

Guest Gun Geek

My Father's rule was until you can reach your arm straight up over the top of your head and touch the other ear, you cannot shoot by yourself. He later explained this to me. Apparently he says that a lot of people used this to gauge their children. If they can't do it, they wont be able to be positioned on a rifle properly to ensure good control. Also they just wont be able to handle it.

I now use the same rule on my daughter.

The first gun I ever shot was when I was 7. It was a 12 gauge shotgun. I learned a lot in that one instant. :koolaid:

After that, it was about 2 years before I fired another gun. It was another 12 gauge, but this one went a little better and I shot it multiple times with no problem. 10 is definitely not too young. I think it's a pretty good age. It's the age my son was (now 11) when he first fired a firearm.

Guest mn32768

I agree that every kid is different, and it depends on how well they can follow direction.

With my 8-yr old son and 13-yo daughter, I started with airsoft guns to learn the rules of safe firearm handling. I got a cheap replica of Walther P22 and we went through the same drills as with a real gun. My daughter picked up the right behavior very quickly, and when I took her to a range, we had zero problems from 22LR to 9mm (she is dead accurate with the P22 but says that she prefers a .380).

My ADHD son is a few years away from being able to keep his finger of the trigger when the gun is pointing to an unsafe direction, but at least I can keep on the drills with the airsoft gun and maybe graduate to a pellet gun shortly.

Guest Muttling

Just throwing in a big +1

I think 10 is great age to start, especially if she's asking and wants to learn. What's more, girls at this age are typically more mature than boys and I expect she will do exceptionally well.

Don't let her hold a weapon unless you're right beside her and not doing anything but coaching her.

Get her to take one shot at a time and plan on taking her best target home to show it off to mommy.

My dad started me at 5. I never realized how much he did until I was much older. He rarely carried his own weapon until I was 12 or 13, he always made me use single shot weapons, and he always made a big deal of my successes. He was GREAT teacher.

• 8 months later...
Guest ARMED AND SMURFY

Our daughter is 10 as well and is showing intrest in guns. I learned about guns when I was around her age mainely were I grew up in Califorina. But none the less it never hurts to know how to use a firearm as long as you are taught right. Our daughter is still in training with airsoft guns, but as soon as she is properly taught the safty of firearms she will be at the range. I own a 22 so it is a perfect gun to start my daughter out with.

Guest tnxdshooter

I always thought the winchester 94 came in 30 30 or larger. Never heard of nor seen a 22 lr. Not saying they dont make em just have never seen one.

It is not so much age as it is about maturity.

1. Can and do they follow directions? Always?

2. Are they easily distracted or can they stay focused on the task?

3. Have the basics of firearm safety been taught before going to the point of live fire?

Have fun. It is a great experience teaching a child to handle a firearm.

oldogy

I always thought the winchester 94 came in 30 30 or larger. Never heard of nor seen a 22 lr. Not saying they dont make em just have never seen one.

They are called Winchester 9422's and came in 22LR and 22 mag.

I had one and regretted selling it.

When they first came out, they set a world record shooting 2.5 inch pine blocks tossed in the air with them.

Very fast pointing and accurate little rifle. They come up quite often on Gunbroker.

Guest clownsdd

Never too young for a kid to learn @ safety, but it's an individual thing according to the kid. I started using my daughter as a "retriever" when she was @ 4. Had a small bolt action .22 I let her carry. I kept the bolt in my pocket until we got where we were going. She is 35 now. Sent me a pic of her target with her Colt Pony at 15 yds..did well. She hasn't shot in a while.

• 1 month later...

if you need a cool little gun try looking for a davey cricket they come with all kinds of different stock colors even pink. That was my daughters first rifle. This year for xmas she is getting a 10/22 all weather. she dont know it yet..

Guest friesepferd

i taught an entire group of 10-13 year olds to shoot with 22 pistols. great fun. they are more than old enough to learn at that age. just stay by their side, make sure they understand the safety rules, same thing you would do with any beginer.