Can we get a new rule for the trading post?

I know on AR15.Com they have a rule that you cannot bump a thread except every 72 hours. If someone has a question, then you answer it in the original posting or through an instant message. This keeps other ads from being bumped to the bottom. If you do bump it somehow within that 72 hours, then the thread is locked initially for 72 hours, then if you do it again it gets deleted.

Can we do something like that here. It gets aggravating to see other postings keep getting bumped up and yours knocked down because of BS comments or answers within the thread.

Also the testing the waters, thinking about selling, etc. needs to stop. It's a mess in the trading forums and needs some tightening up of the rules...

Here are their rules:

Equipment Exchange Rules

1. No more than TWO ads on page 1, and no more than FOUR ads within the first two pages.

2. No bold commands allowed in subject lines unless you're a paying Dealer/Industry Partner.

3. All ads should be placed in ONE appropriate forum.

4. All items MUST be priced!

5. You MUST have valid contact information to sell on AR15.com, and provide it to EE Staff on request.

6. You MUST have both your IM and e-mail turned on to sell here.

7. No auctions (or links to auction sites), unless specifically authorized by AR15.com. Accepting higher than stated prices for an item is considered 'taking bids' and is not allowed. If receiving a higher than advertised price is important to you, list your item on an auction site. Moreover, "Or Best Offer" is understood on the EE to mean best offer up to the listing price, not best offer above the listing price.

8. No links to other commercial sites except by AR15.com Dealers and Industry Partners.

9. WTB/WTT ads MUST be placed in the appropriate WTB/WTT forums ONLY. Posting them in the WTS forums may result in them being deleted instead of being moved. The ONLY exception is the NFA Firearms & Parts forum.

10. If you post more than EIGHT ads a month, think about becoming a team member and help support this site. This rule does not pertain to Dealers/Industry Partners.

11. Absolutely no stomping on other peoples' posts! Do not remark in any way that would negatively impact the sale of someone’s merchandise. This can result in your account being locked.

12. No posting of anything illegal.

13. Once your item is sold or traded, do NOT delete the original title, ad text, or asking price. Leaving the ad in place after a sale is protection for both the buyer and seller, and also acts as a price reference for others. Disregarding this rule may result in a suspension of your account. Edit the title and text of the ad to mark it "SOLD" or "TRADED". Do NOT post a new reply!

Rules #14-17 are specific to “BTTâ€, or bumping ads to the top of page 1:

14. Keep in mind Rule #1 above.

15. The seller CANNOT reply to their own ad within 72 hours of anyone's post (including their own) for any reason. The 72-hour countdown for the seller restarts with each new reply to the ad by ANYONE.

16. All changes/updates should be done with the edit feature to the original ad, not by adding another response.

17. Sellers -- If 72 hours have not passed since the last post by anyone, all questions should be addressed by IM, e-mail, or edit ONLY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18. Buyers -- STOP the trivial 'mail sent' nonsense. Simply send the seller an e-mail and/or IM. Also, STOP bumping ads with "Hey, free bump for a nice rifle.", "Free bump for a nice guy", "Hey, great rifle. I wish I had the money", etc. All small talk should be restricted to IM or e-mail. Do not post in an ad unless you are interested in the item(s) for sale.

19. Don’t use a secondary "shill" account to ask a phony question or post any other messages, thus BTTing your own ad. This will result in BOTH accounts being locked!

20. Sellers -- Don’t rewrite an ad again in order to get it back on page 1.

21. Sellers -- Do not post items for sale that you do not have in your possession. Also, do not list items for sale unless you are 100% positive that you wish to sell them -- no "testing the waters" to gauge buyer interest or taking pre-orders.

If you break any of these rules, your ad may be removed or locked WITHOUT any notice!

Most importantly:

These for sale forums operate on honesty and integrity. If you cannot handle deals in an appropriate manner, don't post here! If you break our trust, it will be noted in our feedback forum -- selling rights may be removed and/or your account here will be subject to termination.

All items listed for sale must be described in an honest fashion! Do not attempt to represent replica (AirSoft, etc.) parts/products or cheap knockoffs as if they were Name Brand/OEM equipment! Do not knowingly sell defective products without acknowledging the defect. You must handle your transactions in a timely fashion. If you can't, don't buy it or sell it. And lastly, please maintain a reasonable level of civility. If a problem arises, don't immediately fly off the handle with threats & insults.

Just some ideas on how to clean up the trading post.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

One more pet peeve...

Can we do without the stupid "testing the waters" and "gauging interest" ads? Either it's for sale or it's not. Just put a price on it and sell the damn thing.

Guest mikedwood

Oh come on guys the trading post here is great. I'm for not messing with it at all.

And when you start talking about "fixing it" TGO David tries to fix it, but after several tries and incarnations I personally like what is there now very much, the last time is was "fixed" was slicker looking I suppose but I hated it.

I'm just saying TGO David thank you for the effort you put in on this site and I like it very much AS IS.

Other than the casual "chattiness" of the classifieds that continues even after management's rececent admonishements, I like it.

It works and people get want they want, people sell what they need to sell.

No problem.

Edited by Garufa

I don't think there is anything wrong with the forum as is. I personally like that folks I have dealt with before check in and tell others if I'm a person to be trusted and the quality of the items I'm advertising are as stated. This is the internet. A little known secret is that people have lied and cheated folks on the internet. A little pre sale feed back from members probably helps a newer member feel a little better about sending a check through the mail in hopes that special item he or she just threw the money down on is the real deal and will arrive as stated.

If you have to answer questions about it, they should be asked in the public forum so others who have the same question can see it. If you post an item of interest to the members at a marketable price, it will sell. Otherwise it will slowly move to the bottom of the pile.

If it has to change, make two exchange sites. One for the Vendors only and one for us normal folks so we can barter like greeks in the open market and enjoy the transaction.

"Your stealing from my children asking for that price! Stealing the food from my children I tell you"

Other than the casual "chattiness" of the classifieds that continues even after management's rececent admonishements, I like it.

It works and people get want they want, people sell what they need to sell.

No problem.

I have noted that there are still those posting with comments such as "if I were only 300 miles closer". I will admit it's difficult sometimes to hold back when there's something like a SA SS 1911 for sale miles away that you would really like to buy but have other items a bit higher on the wish list. Oops, did I just say that? Well, at least I didn't say it in the classified threads.

I'm happy with it as it is. It just requires some willpower to look at the stuff you'd like to have and not say anything. My willpower failed me once this week and it cost me $75. I can't say I have any regrets about it though. :)

Nothing wrong with the current system. We certainly don't want to become more like ARFCOM!!

Bull:poop:.

It most certainly does need to be more like ARFCOM.

The bigger we get, the more out of control the site tends to get. Need to nip it in the bud now.

I think that as this forum grows, we will need to look at more rules to keep the classifieds more manageable.

We are a small and somewhat self governed community at this point.

* Right now there are 98 people viewing TGO vs. 2463 currently viewing ARFCOM.

While I dont think its an issue now, I do think that we need to be prepared to implement changes as our membership grows.

I think by Shawn offering these ideas, it shows that we need to be looking ahead and be ready for future growth.

Guest canynracer
One thing that would be nice would be more thorough locking of threads where the item has been sold. It makes for easier browsing because you instantly know that the item is no longer available. Actually, the OP can do this themselves, correct?

Yes. and I agree...if you sell your item, go to thread tools-> close thread

I try to close them when it is obvious that it has been sold

on another note...if there is idol chatter in your thread, that you do not like...you can ALWAYS ask a mod to clean it up. (report the post, it automatically alerts the moderators for that forum)

Edited by canynracer
Guest HexHead

JHatmaker's Kimber post is a classic example. Not problem with legitimate questions or a bump every couple of days. But there's no reason for a classified ad to run more than one page. There's the usual "I wish I could afford it", "sell some blood", "my wife gave me the look" responses.

While I dont think its an issue now, I do think that we need to be prepared to implement changes as our membership grows.

I think by Shawn offering these ideas, it shows that we need to be looking ahead and be ready for future growth.

hgchange.png

:puke:

Dude, you should totally add the words "One Mag At A Time" in smaller letters underneath "CHANGE". :puke:

..and Hero should blow it up to life size and hang it on his door!