.22 Conversion kit or inexpensive .22

JReedEsq

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I'm learning a lot from everyone's postings. I've just taken the HCP class and have been practicing with my Glock 19 which I really like. However I'm considering getting a .22 pistol so I could practice more often without breaking the bank. I don't need a serious target gun, just something to practice trigger pull etc... I've been scanning for a used Walther P22 but I'm interested in opinions about pros and cons of a conversion kit for my Glock v/s a separate .22 pistol. At first I was leaning toward a conversion kit but when I realized I could get a dedicated practice gun for now much more I think I've changed my mind.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TurboniumOxide

Yep, you are on the right track. There are some fine .22LR plinking guns out there. I went with a Ruger Mk III 22/45 which has the same grip angle as my 1911s.

Also, having a second complete gun is always nice in case you have to defend your home.

I'd go with a second gun as well, just cuz i like more guns :) a 22 convertion for a Glock is super hard to find, and if you find one it is just a bit under the price of a basic Ruger MKIII. I'd sugest the Ruger as well but not the 22/45.

Guest TurboniumOxide

The 22/45 has been somewhat lawyerized, no fire with mag removed and therefore can be a pain to reassemble the first time you do it. However, it has it's strong points too. Go and try some 22s out; you will find one that speaks to you I am sure. I have 22 conversions for various guns and find the conversions finicky in general, especially in the ammo they like to eat.

Just for the sake of argument, I'd try to locate one of the .22 Conversion Kits. I'm also a Glock 19 guy and the cheapest ammo I can find is Federal 115 grain FMJ and they are $9.00 per box, still a lot more expensive than .22 ammo.

I have a Ruger MK III .22 and the earlier poster was right, it's not really similar to your Glock, the grip angle is more similar to the 1911 A1. If you can find a .22 conversion kit, you'd be spending more trigger time with your gun, the one you intend to carry on your person. I think the conversion of your 9mm to a .22 for target practice is a good consideration.

All that being said, having another gun around isn't all bad, either. if you found a .22 conversion kit later, you could always sell the .22 pistol to help pay for the cost of the conversion kit.

either way, it's a no lose situation. Good luck regardless of what you decide.

I have and have had a number of Advantage Arms conversion kits for Glocks. They are fine as far as function and minute-of-soda-can at 25 yrds. However they a .22 pistol that weighs about 12oz, too light for most applications. It all depends what you want in a .22 plinker. My most fun is the ISSC M22 which looks like a Glock, sort of, but has some Walther P22 qualities also. I am just breaking it in but I like it better than the P22 that I have and it is more fun than the 5 Ruger MKIIs I have had and customized to action better. If you want to discuss .22 pistols give me a shout at harr1502@bellsouth.net. I've owned a bunch and shot more and can give you some practical advice.

I've got a conversion kit for my Glock 26 and it works great for its intended purpose. But a dedicated 22 can be really handy. I have an older Ruger MKII with a red dot scope on it, and it is a blast to shoot. Good luck whatever you decide.

I have and have had a number of Advantage Arms conversion kits for Glocks. They are fine as far as function and minute-of-soda-can at 25 yrds. However they a .22 pistol that weighs about 12oz, too light for most applications. It all depends what you want in a .22 plinker. My most fun is the ISSC M22 which looks like a Glock, sort of, but has some Walther P22 qualities also. I am just breaking it in but I like it better than the P22 that I have and it is more fun than the 5 Ruger MKIIs I have had and customized to action better. If you want to discuss .22 pistols give me a shout at harr1502@bellsouth.net. I've owned a bunch and shot more and can give you some practical advice.

Thanks for the info on the Austrian Sporting Arms ISSC .22

I wasn't familiar with this option. Is it picky about ammo? How available are these?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bonedaddy

It might sound contrary to popular belief, but I went with a Phoenix HP-22A. I read all the reviews and reports I could find and the thing handled better and out performed a Taurus and a Walther. I got the combo kit with the 3" and 5" target barrel, extra clip, cleaning kit, clip lock, and locking case for $215. I found the 3" to be as accurate as the 5" and will tear the **** out of CM at 15 yds. Would only reliably shoot HV CCI's for about 300 rds. but now shoots Winchester 333 hollow points reliably. SA only, so cock it when you pull it. Kind of a pain to clean till you get used to it. Just keep a Bic lighter in your pocket and it's easy enough. Small but heavy and conceals easily. For a cheap .22 auto BUG, I really like it.

I considered the same thing for my SA1911. I finally decided to go with a Browning BuckMark, it was the same price as a conversion kit and a lot of fun to shoot. As far as training, I prefer to shoot similar loads to what I will be carrying. When the gun goes bang at the bad man, I do not want to be shocked by the .45 because I am used to a .22. Just my ;)

I like the idea of having another gun in the house, I have two RUGER MARK II one has the 6 7/8 barrel and the other 5 1/2 barrel. Both are accurate shooters.

I did too, I like having another gun I can shoot or someone else can

my walther p22 and ruger mark II are both fun and wasnt that high really if you are going to pay $275-$300 for just a .22 kit

so I like the other gun :)

i'll play.

agree w/ all, i think a dedicated .22 is the way to go.

have the S&W M&P AR .22 for my rifle training and the Sig Trailside for pistol training.

the trailside is an incredible pistol in every regard, and though it is not a 1:1 training model of my duty/carry, the grip angle and controls are generally correct.

the AR.22 is also an incredible rifle. it is 1:1 to my duty rifle as far as controls and function. accuracy is excellent. and for a bit more then the price of price of the conversions, i've basically added 2 additional rifles to the stable.

just my humble opinion.