Range report Bond Arms SnakeSlayer

Mykltn

For those of you who expressed an interest in the Bond Arms Snake Slayer from my post on show and tell, I have the following range report, and basic firearm review.

I have always had a love of double barrel pocket pistols. The nature of these little wonders has always interested me. Years ago, I carried a Davis .32 when out delivering pizza to the bad areas of Jacksonville Fl. The problem with these pistols is they required a good amount of practice to become accurate beyond the average size card table, and Derringers over .22 cal hurt to fire more than 10 or 20 rounds.

In comes the Bond Arms Snake Slayer. This is a very meaty pistol and weighs a ton compared to the Davis Derringers. It is milled from solid Stainless Steel (the Davis being aluminum frame with steel barrel inserts). It is also about a 3rd larger than the Davis in size, which helps greatly with the recoil. The Davis used for comparison is a Big Bore .38 Spl with 2.5" barrel.

Range Report:

The Bond comes with a 3.5" barrel and is chambered for .45 LC and .410 shot shell. A second barrel for the Bond in .45 ACP was also tested. Since the range used does not allow shot shells they will not be part of the review. The Davis is chambered in standard non +p .38 spl.

First shots from the Davis at 10 feet show the sights are set for the bottom barrel and are dead on with the top barrel printing about 6" high. This is likely due to the recoil of the upper barrel forcing the gun vertically. Shots fired at 20 feet show the bottom barrel still on target, with top barrel printing about 8" high. Accuracy beyond 20 feet was non existent and difficult to even get a shot to print on the 8x8 target. Recoil on the Davis was rough, and about 26 rounds of fun was all my hand could take. Now on the the Bond.

First shots from the bond in .45 LC with 3.5" barrel at 20 feet show the sights are also set on the bottom barrel with the top barrel printing about 2" high. 35 feet out, and still hitting dead on with the bottom barrel, with the top barrel printing about 4" high. I did however, notice that some rounds were key holing. This was probably due to the barrel rifling being only .5" of the barrel length. This is done to accommodate 3" shot shell. Accuracy beyond 35 feet was difficult.

Bond with 3" barrel in .45 ACP was outstanding. Shots at 35 feet were dead on with bottom barrel and top barrel printing about 3.5" high. Recoil was very manageable due to the over-sized grip, which allows you to get your pinky around it. Accuracy beyond 35 feet was reduced to center mass body shots with an impressive head shot from the bottom barrel at 75 feet. Although the trigger requires an unusual downward pull, it is easily mastered with a little practice.

Bottom line, the Bond takes the Derringer to a whole new level. It is no longer a belly gun, but a full-on reliable shooter in a very compact package. Although the 2-shot design is a draw back, the availability of running .410 in 000 buck and being able to hide it in any style of dress, puts it back on my ccw list. Great little gun and a very solid shooter. Plus it just looks Cool!

IMG_0441.jpgFor

Edited by Mykltn
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bond Arms Snake Slayer with extended grip and 3.5" barrel vs my other ccw's. 3" barrel and regular grip makes it much smaller.

First up is a standard 1911

IMG_0470.jpg

Second is a Taurus PT111 9MM MilPro

IMG_0466.jpg

Third is a .357 Magnum Snub Nose

IMG_0468.jpg

And last is a Star 40 s&w

IMG_0472.jpg

Edited by Mykltn
Sorry if I overlooked it, but how do you cock shot #1 and shot #2? I mean, how do the mechanisms work?

The hammer automatically changes which barrel fires and rotates to the next barrel after each shot. You can look at the side of the hammer and tell which barrel will fire next and just cock and decock until you get it set on the one you want.

I picked up a Snake Slayer IV (4.25" barrel model) today at Guns and Leather, and took it right out to the range to try it out.

The grip took a little getting used to, but once I did I found the gun really fun to shoot. I felt much less recoil than I expected, and it was reasonably accurate with both .45 LC and 410 rifled slugs. While the longer barrel will make it slightly harder to conceal, I think it really helps with both accuracy and recoil.

Once I got home I found another advantage - cleaning is a snap!

The quality fit/finish of this pistol is awesome - rock solid, and everything clicks together just right. I also really like the idea of all the interchangable barrels - I'll probably order one in 9mm so I can shoot it more often for less $.

Bottom line - probably not a primary carry pistol, but it sure is a cool looking BUG. I like having a shotgun in my pocket.

• 1 month later...
I have a 4 barrel COP 357 mag. that I bought years ago, STILL IN THE BOX, haven't fired it. Don't know if I want to shoot it ???

I had one of those years ago. Killed my hand. Traded it two weeks afterwards.

The Bond Arms looked to be built well. Kind of like a Mini Taurus Judge.

Guest TnRebel

This is the one I have , have had it just over a year now and love shooting it . The picture is from the web site .

2wcpoox.jpg

Edited by TnRebel
For those of you who expressed an interest in the Bond Arms Snake Slayer from my post on show and tell, I have the following range report -----

Bottom line, the Bond takes the Derringer to a whole new level. It is no longer a belly gun, but a full-on reliable shooter in a very compact package. Although the 2-shot design is a draw back, the availability of running .410 in 000 buck and being able to hide it in any style of dress, puts it back on my ccw list. Great little gun and a very solid shooter. Plus it just looks Cool!

IMG_0441.jpgFor

Thanks for the review. I love these Bond Arms derringers. I need to get to work on cracking my piggy bank open to round one up in 410/45 colt and 45acp, and, and, and,--- on and on.

They are a great thing.

Again, thanks for the review.

Kind regards and Merry Christmas

LEROY