Ruger SR-9

molonlabetn

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Pistol&subtype=Centerfire%20Autoloading&famlst=62&variation=P345%C2%AE

I hadn't heard of this until now... from the looks of it, it bears a striking resemblance to the aborted Kimber KPD.

17+1 capacity? Striker fired (with manual safety)?

Methinks that the Taurus 24/7 now has competition... I wonder how it stacks up to the XD, Glock and M&P crowd?

Anybody seen one of these, or heard anything? I'm intrigued, and I'm not a huge Ruger fan... but this is a step in the right direction, for sure.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sights on that thing look HUGE. Like their other guns, it looks kind of awkward and lumpy. (Like me!) Hm.... while reliable, I've not been a huge fan of the Ruger bottom-feeders.

It's funny that you mentioned the Kimber. I was just thinking about that gun the other day, wondering when I was ever going to see one. Guess I know now!

Why buy a cheap copy when you can have the cheap original, get a Glock. LOL.;)

Well, it seems to be an excellent alternative for someone who wants a Glock or XD, but with a manual safety. Considering that the price point for these pistols is identical to an XD, and only slightly cheaper than an M&P or Glock, it will have alot to live up to. I expect that this pistol is direct competition for the M&P models with manual safeties, which are rumored but yet to be seen (except for the .45).

The one thing that it does have going for it is that it is made 100% in the USA. I'm not a huge Ruger fan, but I will be giving these a look.

Guest TN.Frank

I'm not real crazy about a manual safety on a DA semi-auto either. I really did hope that Ruger was going to come out with a Glock G23 or G27 size pistol, not a full size. We've already got too many full size poly frame pistols on the market.

I'm not real crazy about a manual safety on a DA semi-auto either. I really did hope that Ruger was going to come out with a Glock G23 or G27 size pistol, not a full size. We've already got too many full size poly frame pistols on the market.

I don't think it is DA.

Guest TN.Frank

Ok, so "Striker Fired" but still, I'm not a big fan of a Safety on a semi unless it's a SA like the 1911a1, then you need it to carry cocked and locked.

Guest Steelharp
I wonder if it has that sharp, crisp, overall wonderful trigger that you have come to expect from ruger simi-autos.

I don't care who ya are, THAT's FUNNY!! :)

It does look interesting, though... I'd like to see one...

Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville has a case full of these, as well as a rental. It's thin, but still weighs 26 oz. A P95 weighs 27oz. The safety is a problem. It's neither like a decocker or a 1911 safety. It's too small and I would forget to use it. I expected the grip angle to be a little different than Glock's, but they're pretty much the same. The trigger is similar to Glock's. I own a P95 and a P944, and I don't foresee trading either for an SR-9. Availability of a good holster will be an issue for a while. Finally, it's available only in 9mm (No .40 & above).

Being thin is good for conceal, but after tonight's temps, clothing will cover up just about anything.

Guest Steelharp

If the trigger is similar to a Glock's, then isn't the thumb safety uselessly redundant, anyway? 26 ozs. sounds comparably light enough, also Glock-ish, I think. What was the price on them?

If the trigger is similar to a Glock's, then isn't the thumb safety uselessly redundant, anyway? 26 ozs. sounds comparably light enough, also Glock-ish, I think. What was the price on them?

Sorry about the confusion. I was referring to the trigger pull. I don't know the details of the safety mechanism(s). The safety may be added as lawsuit protection. The S&W M&P's have some with a safety and some without. The 45's have an available safety.

I have a Glock 23 that I carry a lot, but never without a holster. If the trigger is the only safety, then I make certain that there is something guarding it. Again, the Ruger safety doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

That doesn't bother me, Glocks are my primary carry... but what was the price on the SR9?

$499 @ Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville. Comes with a pocket knife. Don't remember the brand of knife. Normally, they're really good at listing the prices for their guns, but their website is down for updates.

S&W claims the M&P autos have the same grip angle as a 1911. That's the direction I'm leaning towards.

Obviously, since I own a 23, I like Glocks. The grip angle is not a major issue to me, but it does require a little more thought on my grip placement or I tend to shoot low. Normally low shots are a sign of wrist breakdown, but it doesn't happen with any of my other guns. Maybe the grip angle creates the breakdown???

Guest Steelharp

During summer, it's been the Glock. Lighter, easier in the SmartCarry; as heavier clothes and winter with real holsters arrive, it'll probably be the CZ again.

Guest Boomhower

I got to see one tonight at Gander Mtn. I think it was priced around $499. I wasn't really impressed at all, and the guy working the counter(take this for what it's worth to you) said he hadn't heard very much positive feedback at all from other shoppers.