Any Lady Hunters Here?

Hello Ladies!

Ok, so are there any ladies here (besides myself) that enjoy hunting?

I've been out deer hunting every day since Saturday. I haven't got to spend a lot of time in the woods, but I've hunted every evening and one afternoon as well.

Saturday evening I had a trophy size buck, probably 10-14 points, cross the field I was overlooking THREE times. He was running full speed chasing a little doe that did not want to be caught! I had my crosshairs on him all three times, waiting for him to slow or pause for a shot.....he did not cooperate needless to say. I didn't feel comfortable taking a shot while he was running. I didn't want to wound him....I wanted to make sure the shot was going to hit home. If I'd have taken a risky shot, I may have just clipped him, only to have him go miles away and bleed to death. I didn't want to take a chance on never finding him.

So....I went to Wally World Sunday and picked up a grunt call and a canned doe bleat call, along with some Tink's 69. I'm going to wait until next week when I have more time to hunt before I try the Tink's 69, along with the calls. I'm hoping to call him to me.....if someone else hasn't gotten him yet. My little boy was home sick Monday and Tuesday, and he's off school the rest of this week. So next week I should have some more time to dedicate to hunting. Right now, I can only hunt for about an hour and a half every evening while Mamaw watches my son for me. That doesn't really give me enough time to put out the Tink's and try to call him in. But....if he runs across the field again, I might be able to stop him with a bleat or a grunt....hopefully long enough to take a shot.

This is the first year I've tried hunting with a scoped rifle. I usually use a shotgun with bead sights loaded with rifled slugs. I'm so used to a shotgun that I can take a running shot looking down the barrel.....I have done it many times in the past. Using a scope is so much different! I was following that buck and had him in the crosshairs, but I just didn't feel confident enough to take a shot. I just couldn't get it steady enough as I was following him. I'm starting to think that maybe a scope isn't for me. It'll be nice for a still shot, or even walking, but running just doesn't seem to work!

If I hadn't gotten a case of "Buck Fever" when I saw that monster I might have tried to use the iron sights to take him down as he was running. I installed my scope with see thru mounts, so I can see the regular iron sights under the scope. I actually just didn't even think about that at the time. I think I could have made the shot with the iron sights. Oh well. It sure does motivate me to keep trying!!! B)

So do we have any more lady hunters here? :hat:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gunlovingirl

Haven't been here in awhile, but I'll reply anyway. I used to hunt a lot when I lived in Michigan. Went deer hunting every year, both firearm and muzzleloader. Also went squirrel and rabbit hunting. Haven't been hunting since I moved here about 8 years ago, but I've been considering getting back into it. Not as cold down here!

Cool! :P I was beginning to think I was the only one! You definitely need to start hunting again. It had been about 6 years for me due to having a baby......but it feels great to get back in the woods again!

I've been out deer hunting just about every evening since gun season started and haven't seen that giant buck, or any buck for that matter, since the first day! It's like they know there are more hunters out in the woods and they purposely change their patterns.

I set up a ground blind in a field below my house where the deer "always" :screwy: cross and graze. Well, this evening I heard the dog bark up near the house behind me and I looked and there were at least three deer walking right along the outside of the dog pen fenceline.....right in back of my house. If I'd been hunting from the back porch, I might have seen my buck! It was too far and there were trees in the way so I couldn't see exactly how many deer there were, or if any were bucks.......which is actually a good thing because I couldn't have taken a shot from my position anyway since the neighbors house was beyond where the deer were.

One more chance to get him with my rifle tomorrow evening. I might have to break out my dad's old crossbow and keep after him until gun season comes back in after a couple weeks of archery only. I killed a deer many years ago with the same crossbow ( the bolt actually went all the way through him!).....it's an oldie but I think it would still get the job done! :cry: