Sig P238

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys....i got the gun back Saturday. Sure enough, SIG did nothing...so I've steamed about it all week. The first chance i've had, to get to the range, was today.

It NOW EATS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!.....it shot like a dream!!!!.....hollow points and ball ammo both fired flawlessly. I used both mags and had ZERO FTE's.....I'm obviously pleased.

Could SIG have done something to it and just not mentioned it?

Or should i just chalk this one up to a "break-in" period?

Well guys....i got the gun back Saturday. Sure enough, SIG did nothing...so I've steamed about it all week. The first chance i've had, to get to the range, was today.

It NOW EATS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!.....it shot like a dream!!!!.....hollow points and ball ammo both fired flawlessly. I used both mags and had ZERO FTE's.....I'm obviously pleased.

Could SIG have done something to it and just not mentioned it?

Or should i just chalk this one up to a "break-in" period?

Great News!!!

I don't know how many rounds you have put through the gun, but I won't think at all about failures until after 2-3 hundred rounds.

Happy it is a hungry gun now.:)

Guest patimo58

I burnt through about 500 rounds to 'break-in' my P-238 ... all the while fighting jam after jam. Finally called Sig, they emailed a UPS mailing label and I sent it back today for repair / tuning. I had to do the same thing with with a ParaOrdnance Carry-9.

they probably gave you a new mag, the first sets they sent out were ziggy and woulfnt feed correctly, something about the follwer. a;so, I noticed on the wifes you can put 7 roiunds in the mag, but it will not engage or function correctly with 7 rounds in the mag. the safety issue was with very early models.

The wife loves hers, its the rainbow model with the rosewood gripsAnd has fed anything we have [ut thrpough it.

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bretticus
I burnt through about 500 rounds to 'break-in' my P-238 ... all the while fighting jam after jam. Finally called Sig, they emailed a UPS mailing label and I sent it back today for repair / tuning. I had to do the same thing with with a ParaOrdnance Carry-9.

I bought a Sig p-238 at a gunshow, paid a premium ($599), and expected the usual stellar performance of a Sig product. I got it, and was looking it up on the internet that day, and found out that it had been recalled due to a safety issue with the gun safety. So, even though I waited forever for the call to go through to customer service (the first time I waited for 20 minutes and was the next caller to go through and was dropped, and the second time I waited 30 minutes), they stood by the product, and paid for shipping, and it went seamless, and came back certified that it had been repaired and was fired successfully (one time, I bet).

I kept it for personal protection as a pocket carry, and didn't shoot it until 2 mos later. I took it out yesterday and noticed the problem immediately. Even though the gun was cleaned properly and lubricated, it misfired on the second shot of the clip, time after time, as well as at least one other time per clip. I used 3 different types of ammo, modified the grip, changed the mags, etc. The gun simply failed. I called them again and waited 20 minutes and they are going to fix the problem. I shipped it back today.

On a good note, it fits in any pocket, and if wearing dress clothes that need to be tucked in, it is one of the better weapons to pack in the front pocket with little imprint. I am looking into a Kahr PM9 for the same purposes. I'll update on the status once the firearm returns, but buyer beware, at least from this guy's experience. Of course, the rep told me that it wasn't an "epidemic" but she had heard of the problem before :D

Guest HexHead

I kept it for personal protection as a pocket carry, and didn't shoot it until 2 mos later. I took it out yesterday and noticed the problem immediately. Even though the gun was cleaned properly and lubricated, it misfired on the second shot of the clip, time after time, as well as at least one other time per clip. I used 3 different types of ammo, modified the grip, changed the mags, etc. The gun simply failed. I called them again and waited 20 minutes and they are going to fix the problem. I shipped it back today.

On a good note, it fits in any pocket, and if wearing dress clothes that need to be tucked in, it is one of the better weapons to pack in the front pocket with little imprint. I am looking into a Kahr PM9 for the same purposes. I'll update on the status once the firearm returns, but buyer beware, at least from this guy's experience. Of course, the rep told me that it wasn't an "epidemic" but she had heard of the problem before :up:

Sounds like it really is an exact copy of the original Mustang. I've heard lots of reports of them being problematic when they first came out in the 80s. Even the close to end of run I got last year couldn't make it through a magazine successfully. I replaced the mag, some springs, put in a steel guide rod with a single Wolff Extra Power spring and took it to Jeff Walle at G&L to do a reliability job on. NOW it's perfect.

I had feed problems with my LCP when I first got it. Same thing, it would jam when hand cycling the action. Tooling marks on the feed ramp and inside the chamber were obvious. I just polished the feed ramp and chamber using the procedure for the P3AT (the LCP is a knock-off). Fixed the problem.

The problem wasn't characteristic of the LCP. I just got a rough one, and was too impatient to wait for Ruger service at a time when they're making pitols faster than Congress is printing money. QC can be an issue with the best manufacturers these days

Ruger won't void their warranty over a polish job, so it was safe to do. Don't know anything about Sig's policies. Just sayin' it could be an easy fix by a good pistol smith.

A semiauto is worthless if it isn't reliable

Guest Askgeneral

I have had the same feed issues along with some failure to fires (no pin marks). The first time I sent it back to Sig they said they polished the feed ramp, worked good for two clips, then feed problems every clip. It's at Sig for the second time, waiting on its return now. Their customer service has been very friendly and the turn times are quick....if they can get the repair right, I'd be happy.

Guest rickis38

I bought two of these guns and a friend of mine also bought one. When they will feed, they both shoot left and that is letting multiple shooters shoot the same guns. Mine is not as bad as my friends but it still is NOT right. I dont like the idea of having to adjust night sights but acccording to Sig thats "normal". When I say they shoot left, thats 4 inches left at 7 yards....on average. He and I both had to get new mags sent to us, to hopefully solve the feed issues. I have not had a chance to try these out yet. To say the least, I am very disappointed in the quality of a $600 gun. Maybe all three of these came from the same batch, but still its poor poor quality, I think.

Guest Bretticus

After re-reading everyone's posts, I have come to the conclusion that once the well is poisoned, there's no going back. I will probably get the gun back from the manufacturer with a note that they can't reproduce the problem. I will probably put more and more rounds through it until it gets right and then trade or sell it. Once you lose the trust, it's over. The ball is now in Sig's court to keep me as a customer. Perhaps I should have bought a larger gun, but oh well....