.45 super/acp article

Guest Mugster

Guest Mugster

I was surfing around and found this article on converting a usgi type .45 acp to .45 super. The guy does a great job with it. He's got alot of good reading on his site. I guess he's a gunsmith/dealer from what i looked at.

Looks like a good idea, with (in theory) getting 230gr bullets to 1100fps. I'm not sure i'd want to fire one more than once, but you get the idea that a modern .45 is a beast in terms of strength of its build.

This link goes to the first article in a series of 3. The following 2 parts are linked at the bottom of the page:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/020.htm

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been itching for a more powerful carry pistol recently, and was talking on another forum about converting my XD45 to 45 Super. While the general internet consensus is that the frame and slide assembly could handle the increased recoil and pressures, it's not really worth it.

The velocity increase you'd see from a 5" barrel would only yield an additional 34% in muzzle energy (for a 230 gr bullet) over standard +P. As the .45 ACP is already a good manstopping round, the additional power would have only a marginally better effect. The negative tradeoffs would be decreased controllability, longer intervals between aimed shots, increased wear on the gun, shorter brass life (if you reload), and possibly, an increased risk of weapon malfunction, if your conversion is a WECSOG job and you also reload your own defensive ammo.

I'm still wanting a carry auto more powerful than .45 ACP. For now, I'll just be content making some really hot loads. But here's hoping that Springfield Armory will show some initiative, and offer us an XD10 someday.

Oh, and if I ever get a MechTech CCU, I'll definitely be loading up .45 Super. It doesn't specifically state that it's able to handle .45 Super, but if it can handle .460 Rowland, Super ought to be a piece of cake. Heck, maybe I'll just order one in .460...

Guest Mugster

Well, some fast math. Lets say the fastest +P 230 grain factory loading goes 950 (might be a stretch), so E = 230 * 950 * 950 / 450400 or 460 foot/pounds of energy.

So, lets speculate you can get a 230gr to 1100fps in .45 super, thats

E= 230 *1100 * 1100 / 450400 or 617 foot/pounds of energy.

617 - 460 / 617 is roughly a 25% increase for $10 in springs and a little brass.

That puts it up into .41 magnum territory in terms of energy (more or less) for a 230 grain bullet, and blows away the 10mm. A .41 can beat it sure, but its sorta close to some .41 loadings. In my opinion, that is a significant increase in power.