All About The .17 Rem Let's Hear it!

Sidewinder

I've recently taken a keen interest in doing some coyote hunting, even though I haven't done any yet... but I want to. Naturally, I started the quest for the ideal "Yote Gun". I've researched the sites on the Internet, and the threads here, looking for all the information I could find on the .17 Rem round, and the guns that shoot them. As Sheriff Beaufort T Justice said in Smokey and The Bandit, "I'm in hot pursuit" of one of these .17 Rems. Got one for sale? Know anybody that does? Is there anyone out there with experience with this caliber of gun in hunting coyotes? If so, what do you think of it for this application? Is it the ideal weapon for this application in real life, or is some folks just blowing smoke on some of the forums? I'd love to hear of some hunting details using the .17 Rem, and what gun you have it in. Thanks for your input in advance. Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will start.

The .17 Remington and .17 Remington Fireball are different cartridges. Not sure if anyone makes a rifle chambered in .17 Remington anymore.

If you find one I have 39 factory rounds I will let you have. :popcorn:

Okey

Are you really "sure" that you want a .17Rem? You're buying a single-purpose rifle ... and it won't come at a cheap price. They're rare in TN. The odds of you finding a used one (much less a new one) are slim to none. The .17 is a wonderful round when used for it's designed purpose. But I'd just as soon have a .204 or .223 in this part of the country.

Is there anyone out there with experience with this caliber of gun in hunting coyotes?

YEP. Used one on several occasions.

If so, what do you think of it for this application? Is it the ideal weapon for this application in real life, or is some folks just blowing smoke on some of the forums?

In REAL LIFE, it's just as I described it: A single-purpose rifle. Extremely limited caliber. As for the "smoke-blowing", it sounds like you might have been over to the "Coyote Gods" website ....

Let's be realistic here .....

If you buy a .17Rem, you can't do anything with it but target shoot, coyote hunt, or shoot an occassional groundhog. Do you make lots of trips out west to hunt prairie dogs? If not, write it off and forget about it.

A .204 Ruger is a far better coyote caliber than the .17 and is easier to find ammo for.

A .223 Rem is just as deadly on coyotes (if not more-so) and ammo is readily available. Not to mention that you can legally use it to deer hunt if you choose.

And after you buy this .17Rem and decide later that you didn't really want it ... WHO are you going to sell it to?

You need to re-think this choice, IMO.

Edited by Hidalgo
Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

I would choose something chambered in 0.223 Remington or in the some cases (5.56x45 NATO) It is much cheaper to shoot if you do not reload, and overall is a more versatile cartridge.

I will start.

The .17 Remington and .17 Remington Fireball are different cartridges. Not sure if anyone makes a rifle chambered in .17 Remington anymore.

If you find one I have 39 factory rounds I will let you have. :D

Okey

Thanks, I'll take you up on that offer. I'm looking, but they seem to be rather scarce. Just got a tip on one today, but some think I'm talking about the 17HMR or 17 HM2. How far are you from Murfreesboro? Thanks for the offer.

Are you really "sure" that you want a .17Rem? You're buying a single-purpose rifle ... and it won't come at a cheap price. They're rare in TN. The odds of you finding a used one (much less a new one) are slim to none. The .17 is a wonderful round when used for it's designed purpose. But I'd just as soon have a .204 or .223 in this part of the country.

YEP. Used one on several occasions.

In REAL LIFE, it's just as I described it: A single-purpose rifle. Extremely limited caliber. As for the "smoke-blowing", it sounds like you might have been over to the "Coyote Gods" website ....

Let's be realistic here .....

If you buy a .17Rem, you can't do anything with it but target shoot, coyote hunt, or shoot an occassional groundhog. Do you make lots of trips out west to hunt prairie dogs? If not, write it off and forget about it.

A .204 Ruger is a far better coyote caliber than the .17 and is easier to find ammo for.

A .223 Rem is just as deadly on coyotes (if not more-so) and ammo is readily available. Not to mention that you can legally use it to deer hunt if you choose.

And after you buy this .17Rem and decide later that you didn't really want it ... WHO are you going to sell it to?

You need to re-think this choice, IMO.

Thanks for the kind advice. You apparently know the browsing pattern for the "smoke blowing"! That's where I've been... you nailed it. I'm totally unfamiliar with the .204 Ruger, but somewhat familiar with the .223. I'm guessing there are quite a few choices in gun selection in the .223. I see that ammo at Walley World pretty reasonable. I guess I just got "smoked over" by the sound of those long flat shots that turns coyotes insides to jello! Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind advice. You apparently know the browsing pattern for the "smoke blowing"! That's where I've been... you nailed it. I'm totally unfamiliar with the .204 Ruger, but somewhat familiar with the .223. I'm guessing there are quite a few choices in gun selection in the .223. I see that ammo at Walley World pretty reasonable. I guess I just got "smoked over" by the sound of those long flat shots that turns coyotes insides to jello! Thanks again.

The 17 centerfires are not for everyone. My last 17 Rem would lay bullets on top of each other with about anything I stuck in the chamber it just didn't balance for crap to me.. That makes for a high level of confidence. The "trick" to killing coyotes DRT with a 17 is to avoid the "heavy" bones. If you can't place your shots under pressure a 17 probably will make you mad. If you are in an area with good bobcats and foxes, then the 17 makes sense. If you are just a gun nut it makes sense. I buy and sell 17 barrels (Contender) like some people change socks. Here (east TN) coyotes aren't worth the trouble it takes to skin them out.

Once you get hooked for life you can spend the rest of your life going broke searching for the "perfect" coyote gun. Right now, I'm torn between a 6" 357mag and a 4.5" XDm 9mm.:D

You wont find a rancher in Texas without a .17 in the truck.I have a bolt action savage 94R17 that tack drives,it has a Nikon Buckmaster scope and has killed a semi load of hogs javalina coon,coyote,snakes,turtles

A Winchester 9417 lever action shoots better than I am capable of.

A Ruger single six in a .17 I cant hit the broad side of a barn door with.

I have never had trouble finding ammo and If I'm not mistaken I paid more for the Scope than the rifle.

You wont find a rancher in Texas without a .17 in the truck.I have a bolt action savage 94R17 that tack drives,it has a Nikon Buckmaster scope and has killed a semi load of hogs javalina coon,coyote,snakes,turtles

A Winchester 9417 lever action shoots better than I am capable of.

A Ruger single six in a .17 I cant hit the broad side of a barn door with.

I have never had trouble finding ammo and If I'm not mistaken I paid more for the Scope than the rifle.

Not a single one of those is a 17 Rem. Your rimfire 17 is just about the equal to the 17 Rem at 300yds.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that offer. I'm looking, but they seem to be rather scarce. Just got a tip on one today, but some think I'm talking about the 17HMR or 17 HM2. How far are you from Murfreesboro? Thanks for the offer.

Nashville-About 30 miles. These are .17 Remington NOT .17 Remington Fireball. They are yours if you can use them.

Okey

Not a single one of those is a 17 Rem. Your rimfire 17 is just about the equal to the 17 Rem at 300yds.

OK, you got me I shoot .17 HMR SPITFIRE HYPER-VELOCITY

17 GRAIN HORNADY V-MAX

POLYMER TIP

WITH A MUZZLE VELOCITY OF 2550 FPS

It's a freekin .17 and it shoot one on top of the other at 100 yards,1/2" at 200.

Call it want you want:popcorn:

Nashville-About 30 miles. These are .17 Remington NOT .17 Remington Fireball. They are yours if you can use them.

Okey

Thanks, you're a generous person, but I have done a lot of research and thinking on this .17 Rem thing, and have come to the conclusion that a .22-250 just might do what I want in the coyote hunting area. I've found some other coyote forums, mostly for the folks in the "cold country" states, and they seem to bear out what has been said on here about the coyote pelts not being worth skinning. So, with that in mind, the mission seems to be primarily population control, so who cares if the exit wound is the size of Texas!

Cost is a big consideration, both in cost of the rifle, and cost of the ammo. The .22-250 seems to be more versatile, and easier on the pocketbook. So, I've pretty much given up on the .17 rem, and am looking for a good deal on a .22-250 in a Savage.

But, thanks again for your generous offer. You're the kind of person that makes this site, and the forums the best! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

OK, you got me I shoot .17 HMR SPITFIRE HYPER-VELOCITY

17 GRAIN HORNADY V-MAX

POLYMER TIP

WITH A MUZZLE VELOCITY OF 2550 FPS

It's a freekin .17 and it shoot one on top of the other at 100 yards,1/2" at 200.

Call it want you want:popcorn:

Well, the OP asked about the 17 Rem (25gr at over 4000fps) not the 17 HMR which vastly underpowered for anything more than small coons. Of the 5 or 6 ranchers I know in Tx not a single one uses a 17 rimfire for more than squirrels or PD's at close range. They keep 223, 22-250, and 243 in their trucks. Well, Scott is more likely to have a 45/70, but, he's odd.

Guest davidz71
Well, the OP asked about the 17 Rem (25gr at over 4000fps) not the 17 HMR which vastly underpowered for anything more than small coons. Of the 5 or 6 ranchers I know in Tx not a single one uses a 17 rimfire for more than squirrels or PD's at close range. They keep 223, 22-250, and 243 in their trucks. Well, Scott is more likely to have a 45/70, but, he's odd.

I was born and raised in South TX. and have hunted around the Beeville area since I was 15. One ranch I continue to hunt, with the blessed invitation of the owners, has used .222 and .223 Remington for deer, turkey, javalina and feral hogs for many a year. One nice Sako Forrester in .222 continues to be used every year for at least 40 years. It was the owner's wife who used that particular rifle and now it is used by friends of the family.

One nice Sako Forrester in .222 continues to be used every year for at least 40 years. It was the owner's wife who used that particular rifle and now it is used by friends of the family.

Have you ever seen a not nice Sako Forrester?

Good choice. Waiting on my new to me Savage to get here. I chose a .204 only because I am a wimp. :biglol:

Okey

Nothing wrong with that "wimp" thing! I'm no spring chicken, and feel the same way. Congratulations on the .204, and I hope it serves you well. For me, I've changed my mind once more! I think I'll stick with it this time. I've decided to go with the .223 in a butt ugly Savage, with accutrigger. I think it'll do the job for me, here in middle Tennssee, and the ammo is a whole lot cheaper... as is the gun! now if I can just find one!

I have a Rem 700 ADL chambered in .17 Rem

Great little cartridge. Whacked everything from groundhogs to crows. I handload 25 grain Berger molycoat hollow points for it. They step out of the barrel at 4050fps. They warm the barrel up pretty quickly.

I never shoot it past 200 yards. It gives up velocity pretty quickly past that range with that light a projectile.