the finger

Guest Mugster

Which part of your finger do you use to pull the trigger on a handgun?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which part of your finger do you use to pull the trigger on a handgun?

• Finger tip.
    • Joint between the finger tip and middle finger bone.
    • The middle finger bone or the knuckle.
    • I wrap my sandwich clamp around the pistol and pull, what are you talking about?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joint between tip and middle, or the middle of the finger, depending on the gun. I've been told that this is incorrect, but I've got big hands. The "correct" way results in either an oddly bent finger, or an off-center grip for me. I figure you should use the part of your finger that fits, then practice till you make it work for you.

Depends on which gun. My USP I use the joint between the first and second finger bone. With my XD sub-compact I'm almost up to the second finger joint.

Guest DonRickles

Depends on what gun I am shooting. With a Glock I use just the tip. My Kahr/1911 I use the pad of the finger. And my revolvers I use the knuckle.

Second joint, counting from the end. At least for the revolvers. I havent shot a bottom feeder in a while so cant remember.

I like to point out to people there are no points for form in shooting. You either get the bullet where you want it or you dont. All the guidelines are just that, guidelines,not set in stone.

Depends on what I'm shooting as well. I shoot my S&W 340pd with heavy d/a trigger a little differently than my CZ 527 Varmint set around 20oz on the set trigger. Triggers are shaped differently too. Some triggers are rounded off at the edges and some cut from the front to the sides at a 90 degree angle, some are thicker, some are thinner. I usually go with what feels best for that particular firearm.

Guest Phantom6

Diagonally across the pad of my finger for semi's and first joint for wheelguns. I voted for "tip" since I shoot semi's 2-1 over wheel guns. You get it too far out on the tip and more often than not, you'll push it left or right.

I find it easier to pull the trigger straight back using my first joint... using my fingertip on anything other than a light, single-action trigger causes small but noticable widening of my groups to both sides. However, using a light single-action trigger, I do prefer to use my fingertip...

So, I guess my answer is... it depends on what I am shooting.

Guest EasilyObsessed
Pad of my finger. I voted for "tip".

While it's true you need to shoot in the way that works for you, pushing the gun to the left (assuming you are a rightie) is common for those using the joint.

When I first began shooting pistols I always shot to the left. Someone told me to try using the pad of my finger...and ever since then the bullets have been going where they are supposed to (at least most of the time :P).

It depends.

Pad (finger tip) for the semis, 1st joint (from the tip) on the wheels in DA, pad in SA on the wheels. (My wheel guns have very light trigger pulls in SA -as is required by Natural Law.)

I voted finger tip as I shoot the semis the most.

Guest DrBoomBoom

I use the pad on semi autos. I use the "power crease," as Massad Ayoob calls it, the first joint from the tip, when shooting DA revolver and sometimes DA on semis (especially on the Radon I got from the Rabbi, almost need two fingers to pull it...gotta change out that spring.) I voted tip.