One in the Chamber??

Guest B_Carter

I think someone brought up an important point that no body else has mentioned. If you are carry a single action, or something that is carried "cocked and locked," I think it is crucial that it is in a holster that covers the trigger. The only thing I would not carry in a holster would be a revolver or DA pulls. Tennessee does not have a holster law, but I do believe you should be sensible in how you carry. To answer the question, yes, I absolutly carry with one in the chamber. I believe that if you are in a situation where you will have time to pull your gun and get it ready, you probably will have time to remove yourself from the situation. If you have that kind of time, that is what should be done. I carry, but it is my last resort.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 22-rimfire

I carry a 442. One is always in the chamber. Otherwise, why would I bother carrying?

Carrying a firearm brings added responsibilty when you encounter situations that might call for a defensive posture. The gun is not always the first choice.

Yeah....but based on my experience it is always best to see advice / confirmation from those that may be more experienced in areas than oneself.

I like Muttling's suggestion as well.

Search, it's a neat feature. Then you can find the other 2.346 jillion threads on carrying with one in the chamber. I have never seen the logic in behind the idea (other than early Israeli 18 thousand different handgun models in service) myself.

i heard a ccw instuctror say dont carry with a round in the pipe in case the gun gets taken away from you the bad guy cant shoot you with you own gun

Okay, so you heard from a moron ccw instructor.

Ummmmmmm yeah, so then what happens when the bad guy takes the gun and he puts one in the chamber by racking the slide or even pulling the trigger if its DAO? Then your in for a world of hurt or dead one. Dude should not even be an instructor in my opinion if he is giving shoddy advice like that.

Just how will pulling the trigger on a DAO auto put one in the chamber?

:):confused:

We came home from church Christmas Program tonight.... I have two kids under the age of 3 and i was getting them out of the van (yes minivan, quit laughing). I was going to close the garage door when the neighbors dog (black lab) starting charging towards the garage. My wife freaked as we had kids in arms and I started to reach for my pistol. Turns out the dog was chasing some creature underneath my truck. Here is my ordeal.... two small kids in house but guns are well secured. After I mental revisted what happened tonight I realized that I was have pulled the trigger on this crazy dog and it would have went "click"..... no bang.....just "click". I have been very reluctant to have one in the chamber whether in the house, in the car.... whereever. I came inside and racked one in the chamber...I think I realized that if trouble did find me....I would not have been prepared. Do most people that carry also have a round in the chamber?.... That might be a dumb question but bear with me.:D

Shooting a neighbor's dog, with two kids under the age of three in your arms, would likely hurt your kids' ears. The click would have been much better in your situation. :confused:

Guest B_Carter
:D:confused:

Shooting a neighbor's dog, with two kids under the age of three in your arms, would likely hurt your kids' ears. The click would have been much better in your situation. :confused:

In hinesight your statement is correct...but in the heat of the moment I would have rather hear the bang and then console my kids.

I dont want to miss the point here....its not about the dog, its about the comfort level of having one in the chamber and being prepared to protect my family......i think the conclusion here is that in time of need a bang supercedes a click

:D:confused:

Yea cause letting them get chewed on is so much better.

In hinesight your statement is correct...but in the heat of the moment I would have rather hear the bang and then console my kids.

I dont want to miss the point here....its not about the dog, its about the comfort level of having one in the chamber and being prepared to protect my family......i think the conclusion here is that in time of need a bang supercedes a click

You'll get comfortable eventually. I did the same thing. Carried a .38 and never thought about it, carried a 9mm XD sub and carried full mag, empty chamber for about a week. Now I carry a 1911 cocked and locked lol

Having a Glock, I carry one in the chamber. Very nervous in the beginning because of no saftely swtich but I am getting used to it. But I do still sweat a little everytime I reholster.

Never quit sweating a little when you reholster. When I take mine out of the holster at night, I put it in a different holster on my nightstand, keeping the trigger guard covered.

Never quit sweating a little when you reholster.

Not bad advice.......holstering is when a significant percentage of AD/UD/ND incidents occur. People think they have gotten to this point with no problem, so sometimes they mentally clock out here.

Stay in the game until you have holstered and snapped down and don't muzzle yourself when you holster, either.

Consistently doing this will greatly reduce your chance of contracting a bad case of GLOCK leg :slap:

always one in the chamber. without one in chamber, its unloaded and the couple of seconds it takes to drop whats in your arms (in this case your kid) and rack, well.......and chances are you will not drop your kid, so therefore you are unprepared. To alter a statement someone else has made: If you have to draw your firearm and hesitate, then you are out numbered. In your case, if you have to draw your firearm and its not loaded, you or someone you care deeply about is going to get hurt. JM:2cents: worth

That's why your 61 and I am 31.....:slap: I am curious as to your suggestions. Seriously, I do see your post quite a bit and share alot of the same thoughts that I see from you.

I highly suggest some advanced handgun (carry) training. Unless it's the Israeli variety, you'll find most trainers advise carrying chambered. You'll feel a lot more comfortable doing it after some good training.

As for at home...I think you know the dangers with kids.

Just FYI, it's a good idea to train one handed reloads in case one of your hands becomes injured, this should be done with both your strong and weak hand. Every time I go to the range to practice I spend a little bit of time practicing single handed reloads with both my strong and weak hand. I'd strongly recommend it...

I keep a round in the chamber in mine. At first, I was somewhat nervous by doing it since it has no manual safety. I was afraid that somehow the gun might AD but as time went on, I became more comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber. My holster completely covers the trigger guard so I have peace of mind knowing the gun will not go off unless I cause it to. I would recommend carrying a round in the pipe just because you may find yourself in a position where you could not rack the slide quick enough or if your non-shooting hand was injured, preventing you from using it to chamber a round. I try to practice drawing from concealment (unloaded) , placing emphasis on keeping my trigger finger along the frame as I draw. I am thinking of getting some snap caps to aid in my practice. That might also give confidence in having a "round in the chamber" without the fear of firing a live round if I were to slip-up and pull the trigger during my draw stroke while practicing. Just my .02.
Guest sermon8r
I carry a 1911 cocked and locked. no reason at all not to have one chambered.

I also Carry Condition 1:koolaid:

little intimidating at first but its just like putting your pants on.....after a while its 2nd nature

Mine are always fully loaded.

But, whatever you decided to do, be consistent about it. Even if you decided to keep the chamber empty, practice always racking the slide when unholstering and aquiring a target... it's not ideal, but it should be instinctive if you feel the need to take that precaution.

Guest Guitarsnguns
After I mental revisted what happened tonight I realized that I was have pulled the trigger on this crazy dog and it would have went "click"..... no bang.....just "click". I have been very reluctant to have one in the chamber whether in the house, in the car.... whereever. I came inside and racked one in the chamber...I think I realized that if trouble did find me....I would not have been prepared. Do most people that carry also have a round in the chamber?.... That might be a dumb question but bear with me.:popcorn:

ALWAYS ONE IN THE CHAMBER!!! Check my post in this forum "Keep it handy" I had a similar experience recently that was a real eye opener.