Guns You Got You Wish You Hadn't

The Rabbi

This is a spin off another thread.

What gun did you buy that after some time you thought "what in heck was I thinking???"

For me two come to mind. The first was a Smith mini Sigma in .380 I think. Worst gun I ever owned. Jammed every 4th shot. Loud, horrible recoil, inaccurate, lousy trigger. It had no obvious take-down, even a gunsmith couldnt tell me. Only good thing was I bought it for about $100 and traded it for something else.

The other was a Paraordnance 12 or 14 something or other. Double stack 1911 with LDA trigger. It sounded good at the time: 10 rounds (this was during the ban) of .45acp in a compact package.

Little did I notice the gun weighed a ton fully loaded and was wide as a brick, making carry difficult to say the least. The gun came with a certificate for a 12 round "hi cap" magazine, at a cost of $98. I passed on that. Worst was when I lost a grip screw and emailed Para for a replacement. They told me they couldnt send one and I had to get it from Brownell's. $7.50 shipping on a $1.50 part. Fortunately one of the local smiths had a spare. It was a learning experience though.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ETS_Inc

My first handgun, a Hi-Point .380. It worked, but it was a horrible carry gun, due to its weight. The reason I was upset about it wasn't because of the brand, it's because of how I got it. I got raped for it. I traded a Colt HBAR, with a truckload of mags and accessories, for the Hi-Point, a Russian SKS, and 100 rounds of ammo for each.

Then, there was the Lorcin .22. It was not a typical Lorcin, as it actually worked! I got through as many 3 mags at a time without a problem. the reason I hated it: my first ex-wife wouldn't let me spend money on guns or ammo, or time at the range for that matter, and the $55 OTD Lorcin was the best I could get out of her.

Guest ETS_Inc
Universal M1 Carbine clone. Jammed at least twice on every magazine no matter what ammo I used. It only had a 4x fixed scope for sights, the rear iron sight had been replaced with the scope mount.

Hmmm, I think you might have ended up with the Universal carbine I sold several years ago. That POS jammed all the time.

Bryco/Jennings 9mm (nothing more to day about that...)

Taurus PT25 (technically, I didn't buy it, it was given to me... and I gave it back)

Taurus PT145, first version... it was a POS.

Beretta CX-4 9mm, first version... fun gun to shoot, but it was overpriced and very unreliable.

Maverick 88 12ga with pistol-grip... useless, totally useless.

Hmmm, I think you might have ended up with the Universal carbine I sold several years ago. That POS jammed all the time.

Every Universal I've ever shot jammed constantly... But in this case, mine had a semi-nasty gouge on the top right of the forearm, no bolt hold open, and a Monte Carlo stock with really nice looking wood. Sound familiar?

Bryco/Jennings 9mm (nothing more to say about that...)

Me too. Paid $100 for it. Jammed at least once every mag with FMJ's and wouldn't feed anything else at all. Sold it for $100, so I guess I can't complain too much. Still...

When they first came out, I picked up a Taurus PT-111. Took it to the range, and within 50 rounds, the extractor flew of the gun and was never found. Returned it to Taurus, they fixed the extractor, and I took it to the range again. This time, after about 50 rounds, the ejector broke. I had to send it back again, and promptly sold it when it was returned to me.

Guest gcrookston

Walther P.22. after the 3rd trip to the factory for repairs I traded it at a gunshow for some 9mm ammo. In the three months I owned it, I don't think I ever got more than 4 consecutive rounds out of it without a ftf or fte

Guest DonRickles
Anyone have luck with Kahr's?

Absolutely! Kahr K9 is and has been my primary summer carry gun for about 5 years or so. Don't have much experience with the Polymer series guns. PM9 looks like a great concept but about 75% of the feedback I hear about it is bad. I don't put to much stock in that though people tend to complain quicker than compliment. All I know is the steel "K" series guns rock.

Guest DrBoomBoom

I never had a gun I didn't like. My worst gun beats my best golf club.

The only one that came close was an FEG PA-63 that I bought from the Rabbi. I took it to the range to break it in, and was impressed by the accuracy. Then, a live round stuck in the cylinder with the extractor on it, FTB. I couldn't move the slide. I brought it over to the gun shop and consulted with the Rabbi and his friend Bill, a regular there and a very knowledgeable gun nut. They got the slide open and the bullet freed. A quick examination showed it was the ammo at fault. There was a bulge in the cartidge, and some of the cartidges left in the box showed the same bulge and measured out with a micrometer as over 5% variance in diameter. No more Silver Bear HP's for BoomBoom (the FMJ's work fine in it, but by accident I put more HP's in it and the darn thing stuck again, just won't even use Silver Bear's anymore.)

Anyway, the 63's a sweet little cheap tack driver. I like it better than my son's Adams Tight Lies 3 wood, and I'm writing a new song (apologies to Irving Berlin):

Silver Bears, Silver Bears,

They always jam in my pistol

Locked up tight, out of sight,

Ending my range time today.