1911 options

jcoosi

Hello to all I am in the market for a full size 1911.I have read and searched,searched and read on here and several sites.I know all have their pros and cons.I have looked at everything from Taurus to Nighthawk Customs.What Im asking if for the guys that carry or have carried full size 1911's what did you choose and why.Just looking for feedback on what you have and why?Thanks for the input.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_0888.jpg

At present I own all of these models,each one serves its own purpose,the compact and commander sizes I have for daily carry due to the shorter length and alloy frame they are lighter than the full size steel frames,the full size Kimber I use as a range piece,and my Taurus I have a Wilson Combat 22LR conversion mounted on it full time cause it shoots so nice and inexpensive.All in all you can never have enough 1911's.Its primarily a individual choice of the shooter.I have never tried carrying a fullsize steel frame because of the weight and length but there are fellas that do.All in .45ACP of course.:up::D

I've carried a SA. Mil-Spec 45 owb for the last 5 yrs. Yesterday for some reason I put on my G 19 an with a single mag-carrier off-hand and my P11 in left front pocket, a total of 42 - 147gn +p hps I felt well armed. Just the G 19 was SO light compared to my Mil-Spec I kept checking to see if it was still there. Am I going to give up my 1911, no way , just sometimes its nice to go "light".:pleased:th_summer09240.jpgth_guns005-1.jpg

Edited by Ae-35

I have a Springfield GI. I don't carry it much as I have a Star M40 subcompact that fits nicely iwb. I went with the Springfield because it closely fit the WWII era look and feel. Plus the price new when I bought it was under $450.00. Can't beat a great shooter with classic style at a good price!

If I'm carrying one of my 1911s...it's usually one of my Nighthawks or Ed Browns. I use a Springfield TRP sometimes in IDPA, or a Ed or Nighthawk or a Kimber.

Find one you like, practice with it, and carry it in a proper holster you'll be fine

Guest Oaklands

Depends on the money you want to spend. One of the best buys for the money is the Metro Arms also in a Firestorm model "American Classic II Deluxe." I just got one recently. Great shooter and you cannot find a bad review on it.

I also have a Kimber Pro Carry II coming in this week. I can't comment on it yet, but will be glad to do so once I get it and fire it.

J-

Gotta be quick, man, as my family is all around me and I'm on the computer (which is rude, ha ha). Give me a call in the next day or so - I've got some time to talk to you, as you've kind of hinted at what you're looking for, with me in the past. I'll do my best to help you out.

Depends on the money you want to spend. One of the best buys for the money is the Metro Arms also in a Firestorm model "American Classic II Deluxe." I just got one recently. Great shooter and you cannot find a bad review on it.

I also have a Kimber Pro Carry II coming in this week. I can't comment on it yet, but will be glad to do so once I get it and fire it.

+100 on the American Classic. I just bought one as my first 1911 to see if I really like the platform, and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Price was my deciding factor, as I didn't want to spend a ton on a 1911 until I know I'd enjoy them.

Any reliable ( 500-1000) rounds problem free 1911 is a good carry pistol.... In the last 3 years I have used a bunch of different 1911's for carry and no one brand is the best. It comes down to how you like shooting what ever gun you carry. I use a Dan Wesson Valor most of the time now ... it is reliable very accurate and feels great in my hands. The price is hard to beat for what you get plus it is a Tac Driver at 25 yards ... it comes down to yourself and not what others tell you.

I have used in the past a..

Ed Brown

Jeff Copper

Executive Target

Nighthawk Custom

Talon.....

Dominator

Predator

Predator 3

Wilson Combat

CQB

CQB Elite

Tactical Elite

Custom Classic

Les Baer

SRP 1 1/2"

SRP

Ultimate Master 1 1/2"

Les Baer's Premier II 1 1/2"

Monolith Heavy Weight 1 1/2"

Edited by Kano
Guest harry the filter

As a recent permit holder, I switch between Glocks and a Kimber Custom II, but I'm gradually leaning toward carrying the 1911 more-- to the point where I'm doing a lot of reading about the EB's, LB's Nighthawks and WC 1911s. Not that I have had any problems with the Kimber-- Just an appreciation of fine craftsmanship.

What Im asking if for the guys that carry or have carried full size 1911's what did you choose and why.

1. Accuracy. Besides carry I use my guns for target shooting. I want a 1911 that is accurate at 25 yards.

2. Quality. Proper fit and finish of machined parts is not only required for accuracy, but will give you a weapon that is reliable and will last a lifetime.

3. Price point. There are guns in the $1000 range will give me want I want. The $500 range does not have the accuracy or fit & finish, and I doubt that guns in the $2500 range will make me a better shot.

4. Customer support. Things can go wrong with any gun. If it does I want a company that will take care of the problem. Customer support can also be more than fixing a gun, it can be having knowledgeable people that you can call and get answers to questions.

5. American Made. I support American workers whenever I can. So, no guns that are made overseas unless they are foreign military collectables.

So… Smith & Wesson, Kimber and Colt. SA makes some very good 1911’s; they also make some that aren't.

As a recent permit holder, I switch between Glocks and a Kimber Custom II, but I'm gradually leaning toward carrying the 1911 more-- to the point where I'm doing a lot of reading about the EB's, LB's Nighthawks and WC 1911s. Not that I have had any problems with the Kimber-- Just an appreciation of fine craftsmanship.

An excellent reason to step up to a high end 1911 :cool:

1. Accuracy. Besides carry I use my guns for target shooting. I want a 1911 that is accurate at 25 yards.

2. Quality. Proper fit and finish of machined parts is not only required for accuracy, but will give you a weapon that is reliable and will last a lifetime.

3. Price point. There are guns in the $1000 range will give me want I want. The $500 range does not have the accuracy or fit & finish, and I doubt that guns in the $2500 range will make me a better shot.

4. Customer support. Things can go wrong with any gun. If it does I want a company that will take care of the problem. Customer support can also be more than fixing a gun, it can be having knowledgeable people that you can call and get answers to questions.

5. American Made. I support American workers whenever I can. So, no guns that are made overseas unless they are foreign military collectables.

So… Smith & Wesson, Kimber and Colt. SA makes some very good 1911’s; they also make some that aren't.

I agree all of my 1911's are American Made as they should be :cool: