My first experience with Coal Creek Armory

Wingshooter

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I do not defend the rude treatment of gun owners who know what they want and what to expect, CCA is the only gun store in West Knoxville and they put up with astounding amounts of idiocy.

There are at least 3 others within 20 minutes drive.

They are lead to display cases filled with the latest plastic pistols by attendents wearing 1911's and bitching about Glocks.

They have a lot of clueless salesmen.

The sad thing is that place has alot of potential, but their business is not hurting at all.

They are living off the rep built by Guncraft and are losing business. Anytime I stop there there are fewer people in the shop than the last time.

I live in West Knoxville and I hate going into CCA. There is a female employee there that is the embodiment of a rude b***h. She is condescending and sarcastic, which is odd because she knows nothing about guns or gun accessories. There is nothing in that store worth her piss poor attitude or the other tacticool mall ninjas that work there. I shoot at ORSA so I don't need their range. I guess it works out, since apparently they don't need my money.

Guest mikedwood

Austin's in Oak Ridge and Personal Protection off Watt Road are both great gun shops around Knoxville. Especially for a new shooter. Both are worth the drive from Knoxville for sure.

For a range I like Gunny's way better than I ever liked CCA and they are a pretty good gun store as well. I like attitude of the shooters at Gunny's range better.

But now that I am a member of ORSA :D I have no worries for a range and the cost is half as much and so many more options, pistol range, 50, 100, 200 yard rifle range, archery range. It's like paradise with to many rules. But they have to have the rules.

Guest Schwarzgebrannt
I live in West Knoxville and I hate going into CCA. There is a female employee there that is the embodiment of a rude b***h. She is condescending and sarcastic, which is odd because she knows nothing about guns or gun accessories. There is nothing in that store worth her piss poor attitude or the other tacticool mall ninjas that work there. I shoot at ORSA so I don't need their range. I guess it works out, since apparently they don't need my money.

it's the home of the original mall ninja.. hey, at least you didn't have your group buy completely stolen, or your NFA paperwork screwed up so badly that the owner was hiding from you, or, or, or...

Guest bkelm18

Oh man, where's Suntzu? :P

Yes, I'll add to the grievances of CCA. Every time I have been in there I was treated rudely and like I knew nothing. I've stopped using their range. Unless they've spruced it up, it's always been dark, dingy, dangerous, and full of thugs. I've spoken to Jonathan, the owner, a time or two and I can see how the place is what it is. If you're looking for a good experience, Gunny's is great (great range too), I've heard good things about PDO, and Austin's here in Oak Ridge is where I do most of my shopping. They don't have much stock but they will gladly order anything you like.

Guest clownsdd
this would have easily been solved.

She could have told you they were slammed, asked for your phone number, took the info, helped a reasonable number of customers in the store. Then looked up what you needed and called you back. Pretty simple really. I do not blame you for feeling put out by them That is horrible customer service. People on the phone are just as important in the big picture as those in the store right now.

Sounds like not much has changed at that place.

The owner "JWP" used to post here, have not seen anything by him in ages.

I agree with Mike, though I've never been there. Sounds like really poor csr's and management. Attitude is a big thing.

That being said, I really don't like it when I am the customer being waited on and they tell me to hold on to "jump" a phone customer ahead of me.

I've been in CCA several times. I've never been treated poorly and someone has always asked to help me soon after entering the store. I just stop in to browse so after declining assistance, I'm left alone. I bought something there once but I don't remember what it was. Not a gun.

Prices seem about average. Not many accessories stocked. They did have some nice 1911s.

...they were very busy. We got there at 10am when they opened the doors and by the time we signed the waivers there were at least 20 people there. They treated us OK I guess, but they did seem peeved whenever we didnt stand in the exact spot at the counter that they wanted us to. I also screwed up and called a magazine a clip and that got me a few "it's a magazine!" remarks. WTF? I know what it is, it was just a slip of the toungue that didnt require 3 or 4 smarta$$es from behind the counter to remark on.

Anyway, there were 4 of us and we got two lanes. The lady was actually pretty nice to us when going over everything and she let us split the $15 rental fee between the 4 of us. The only catch was we had to buy ammo for the rental guns. Luckily I had some extra for the guns I brought and we only had to buy two boxes of ammo ;). They let us try about 5 different guns, with no attitude or problem when we went to swap em out. A few times I went back out they were packed and even had a waiting list for the range, but they helped me as quick as they could. Were they in a great mood? No. But they didnt treat me poorly, just "satisfactory."

As for the range, everything seemed in order. It was colder than you know what in there, so I had to wear my fleece the whole time, but I guess that is better than it being hot! Lighting was good, no thugs in sight, but the retreival system would knock your nose off your face if you didnt stop it in time...lol

As far as ranges go, it was OK and the prices were good too. The only reason we went is because 3 of the 4 of us are looking at buying a new gun and they had the M&P and XD's there to shoot as rentals. In future, due to the drive (no real fault of CCA) I will goto Gunny's.

They guys at Gunny's are more friendly than the folks at CCA. I was not treated badly at CCA, but you know you can tell when someone really enjoys thier job and helping people (Gunny's) and when someone is doing just enough to provide decent customer service to earn a paycheck (CCA).

All in all I give CCA about a 6 out of 10 and Gunny's is more like an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. Of course, it doesnt hurt that Gunny's is 20 min away from home and CCA is 45 min away.

I did find it funy that I asked a guy at CCA what the 9mm M&P runs and he said $520...I looked int hier case and they had a new one for $589! :P

I was in the area today, so I stopped by CCA (my first time there). They were nice enough. No one spoke to me for a long time until I asked if they had something in stock. Actually, I prefer being left alone to having a pushy salesman follow me around, but it was a little strange. Once I spoke, they were courteous. I don't ever see myself making a special trip there from where I live, though. Prices seemed high to me on most (but not all) things.

They had a Mosin Nagant for $330!

Edited by Batman

The thing that pisses me off the most is I have been in there several times and every time I go in there the sales reps treat me like I have never seen a gun before or couldn't possibly have any knowledge about firearms. I may only be 21 but I have plenty of experience with firearms. From the time I was about 11 till I was 17 we had a gunshop at my house that my stepdad owned and operated when my stepdad would goto an amory school I would always study his materials when he got home. I built a smith and wesson revolver at 14. I used to disassemble and clean guns at our gunshop all the time. The last time I went in there all the sales rep knew was that glock was indestructible and everything else was s***. I was wanting to look at a springfield xd but ended up leaving in discouragement. I had the money to rent one and shoot it but this idiot didn't have time for me. I keep going back to see if the environment has changed I have never spent a dime there.

The thing that pisses me off the most is I have been in there several times and every time I go in there the sales reps treat me like I have never seen a gun before or couldn't possibly have any knowledge about firearms. I may only be 21 but I have plenty of experience with firearms. From the time I was about 11 till I was 17 we had a gunshop at my house that my stepdad owned and operated when my stepdad would goto an amory school I would always study his materials when he got home. I built a smith and wesson revolver at 14. I used to disassemble and clean guns at our gunshop all the time. The last time I went in there all the sales rep knew was that glock was indestructible and everything else was s***. I was wanting to look at a springfield xd but ended up leaving in discouragement. I had the money to rent one and shoot it but this idiot didn't have time for me. I keep going back to see if the environment has changed I have never spent a dime there.

I was in the same boat growing up (not that I'm much older than you, really). Seems to be Knoxville and Chattanooga would be a good place to open G&L V 2.0 & 3.0.

Guest Sgt. Joe

WOW is this CCA you speak of Coal Creek Armory or Corrections Corporation Of America?....

Seriously I am very thankful for MY store which is the Great Outdoors Store in Jackson. They too were swamped the past few weeks but I have never heard or seen anyone treated badly there.

I was green as a bean the first time I went in there about a year ago and they treated me and my newbie questions like I was a king or something. I have never ever seen a rude employee there at all and it is a pretty decent size place.

I have at times needed something simple and saw that they were busy so I just left, but I do live less than half a mile away so that is no big deal.

They have gone above and beyond for me and my friend and on a 10 scale I have to give them at least a 12. 10 for their service and knowledge with a smile and 2 more for having a nice indoor range to go with.

Another thing is they are much cheaper than our Gander Mt. store. "Much" as in 100 bucks or more for the same pistol. Also I have been in the GM store here several times and even with the Ms. and have yet in all those times even been asked if I needed any help. I really wonder how the GM store sells anything here.....yet the must, they are still open.

I know it is a long way from where you guys are but if you do ever get out to the west end I Highly recommend the Great outdoors store here. If you want to spend at least "state local" give them a call 731-668-2007

http://www.thegreatoutdoorstore.net/

After seeing CCA mentioned here so often I was kinda shocked to read all this negative stuff.....How do they stay open? The only thing I can figure is that there must not be anywhere else really close.

At any rate it seems a lot of you think as I do....

Rude = NOT getting my money ! And in the gun business these days it is knowledge that people are starved for and Rude never could teach.

If "you" guys have noticed, how many very new folks do you think they have driven away from the whole idea?......That is what really chaps me backside.

Edited by Sgt. Joe
I guess I will add my 2 cents. Everytime I'm in there, they treat me like I'm stupid and they are too good for my business. I plan on never purchasing anything from them. I do have to admit, there range is nice.

Gunny's has a better range, Better lighting, better ventilation, and better target hangers.

After seeing CCA mentioned here so often I was kinda shocked to read all this negative stuff.....How do they stay open? The only thing I can figure is that there must not be anywhere else really close.

There are plenty of other places around but its the only one I can think of with an indoor range. I really like predator custom shop they have always had time to look up things and answer questions for me and if they didn't know the answer they didn't b.s. me. Plus they have some really cool toys to look at. Gander Mtn. is high but they have so many guns and they are all out where you can handle them.

Guest mosinon

Coal Creek is weird, I've had good experiences there and bad experiences.

When I signed up for the range the guy was fairly jerky but a different guy invited me back in a very nice manner afterwards.

I've never shopped for a gun there because no one ever asked me if I wanted to look at anything while I was browsing the cases.

There are some nice folks there but there are also some jerks. Obama's election sold a lot of guns but that is going to wear off and sooner or later they will have to emphasize customer service. I get the deal about hiring gun enthusiasts to work there but that is a mistake, they'd be better off hiring customer service enthusiasts and teaching them about guns.

That said almost any specialty shop has this problem. The few that don't are really special. I've PM'ed one of the sponsors on TGO about a post and he took the time to get back to me. I'm quite a distance from Hero Gear but when I get around to buying a new gun I'm heading there.

I was in the same boat growing up (not that I'm much older than you, really). Seems to be Knoxville and Chattanooga would be a good place to open G&L V 2.0 & 3.0.

I hate worse than anything to be treated as if I don't know what I'm talking about, I hate it worse than just being ignored. Im not a bs'er I hate people that do, If I say something it will be backed by knowledge. If I'm stating my opinion I will say its just my opinion. If I don't know something I won't just make up something to make myself look good, usually I do the opposite and play dumb to see how knowledgeable someone else is.

Where exactly is guns and leather from oak ridge or harriman I would love to visit sometime.

Guest bkelm18

For a time when Jonathan was active here, it seemed he was being responsive to people's complaints and appeared to be hiring good staff. It seemed that experiences at CCA were on the upswing. But I guess that has fallen by the wayside. :rofl: I'd say their range and their gunsmithing are the only things that keep them in business. There are better prices on firearms to be had in the area, and better service.