HandGuN Permit Badge Opinion?

Guest logicprevails
They're real. There's even a HCP school here in Middle Tennessee that not only offers them during class, but pretty adamantly encourages them.

IMO.....;)

Tuford Bune?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an acquaintance who has had a similar non-LEO 'badge' (since way before TN HCP was available) and he carries it in his wallet. He has one of those special wallets with a leather flap that covers the 'badge' when the wallet is opened (i.e. to withdraw cash, etc.) so that no one can see the 'badge'. Honestly, his main purpose in carrying it, I'm quite certain, is so that he can 'accidentally' let cashiers catch a glimpse of it as he pays at restaurants so that he gets a discount or a free meal.

Another time...we were in Las Vegas...and he had the occasion to flash his 'badge' at a nightclub type location. I was NOT present. He had gone off by himself. He was almost killed/beat up/arrested. I had to go save his butt. What a dumb _$$!

The ONLY time I could see where one of these might have come in handy is in a situation like in the 1997 Tim Robbins movie Nothing to Lose with Martin Lawrence. Robbins goes into a gas station to pay for gas at one point after having disarmed a bad guy moments before. He is wearing a suit and has the bad guy's gun tucked in his pants waistband. He did not put it back far enough though. The gas station clerk catches a glimpse of it and asks him if he's a cop. Robbins, unaware that the clerk has seen the gun, answers, "no". The clerk whips out a shotgun and the action starts. In a realistic similar situation, a clerk may partially see a gun and the glint of a badge and then not give it a second thought. The bad outcome scenarios of that combination are much more likely however, so simply keeping your weapon DEEPLY concealed to prevent accidental and unwanted disclosures is the best course of action overall.

Since we're beating a long-dead horse...If you want to wear a badge go to the academy and become an officer or just become a codes inspector or something, they get badges too.

If you just want to wear one...then be prepared to talk your way out of arrest for impersonation, being thoroughly scolded by an LEO should you happen to have an encouter or just all-around ridicule from your friends (and internet people).

Guest jackdm3
Since we're beating a long-dead horse...If you want to wear a badge go to the academy and become an officer or just become a codes inspector or something, they get badges too.

If you just want to wear one...then be prepared to talk your way out of arrest for impersonation, being thoroughly scolded by an LEO should you happen to have an encouter or just all-around ridicule from your friends (and internet people).

This'll be the next locked-out thread. Just you wait and see.

IMHO...(and these are just my thoughts fellas): If someone wants to wear one of these, who the eff are you to say he should not? That's about the same as one of you telling the other that you shouldn't carry this weapon or that weapon, because that's what the cops carry, or you shouldn't wear dark blue bdu pants, because that's what some cops wear. I mean, really...What if that little silver trinket caught the eye of a fellow HCP'r and stopped them from mistakenly thinking you were a BG during a incident? What I guess I am saying is that these little trinkets have their purpose. I can see why someone may want one, but it seems that all you take a adolescent approach and think that the person just wants to be a cop.

All of that said...I wouldn't want one. I would prefer that no one ever sees my weapon so that there would ever be a need for justification. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I've read a few of these threads on here, and everyone seems to pile on for no good reason, and that seems juvenile to me.

Opinions are like a$$holes, we all have one and were asked...good or bad.

guys, honestly everyone here knows how I feel about open carry. I think any kind of "UNAUTHORIZED" Identification is a bad Idea. Yes, it has and can lead to arrests in the right circumstances.

Wearing a HCP badge makes about as much sense as painting the end of your assault pistol orange and walking around in public with it strapped over your shoulder.

If the state had wanted us to have one they would have issued it to us.

Werd.

if you do get a badge, and make no mistake I recommend you do.

Take a pic of yourself with it and post it here.

We need someone new to make fun of.

Absolutely!

I've seen 2 in my life time, one guy at the range, he had thigh rigs with revolvers....

The 2nd guy, was fat, I mean fat, not chubby, wider than tall, had a dark blue shirt, dark blue 511's, 511 boots, black leather duty looking belt, Glock, badge, getting out of a "retired" dark blue, tinted windows impala, with the spot light...regular tags. This one made me smile a little.

Wolf shirts trump all of this.

Guest logicprevails
Well this sheds new light on this...........I thought they all said Jimmy Latimer - so I didn't want one.

But, if I can get my name on one...........:leaving:

WHEW! That's a HUGE relief! I was just getting ready to file paperwork to officially change my name to Jimmy Lattimer!

Well I didn't see one person on here that admitted to owning one of these. (minus few scarcism comments)

So I guess the guy that owns the buisness in TN is not to happy because based on the responses no one seems to want to have one of these.

I did'nt realize what a hot topic this was going to be.

Like I said guns for self defense are best left unseen until needed. But it's good to know that most people here seem to have ethical standards when in comes to having the responsibility of carrying a firearm by not doing open carry in public. :P

The only one I've ever seen is in a case at Gunslingers in Kingsport. I'll stay concealed, and have no need for one. I guess my main point was why does everyone see the need to pile on? It almost seems like all the high school kids jumping on the nerd that likes comics or something. If that's their thing, then let it be their thing. So what if it's stupid?

You had me with the badges are silly, but the open carry comment went a bit too far...

There is nothing irresponsible about open carry in Tennessee, it's legal and a number of folks do it without incident on a regular basis.

A number of folks here will argue that open carry puts you at a tactical disadvantage, and while I personally don't think there is evidence that proves that one way or another it's a point of discussion and a possible risk that you take when you open carry...

Personally I wish we could all carry the firearm(s) of our choice concealed at all times comfortably, but reality is that I'd rather see folks carrying open than not at all, and nobody should try and tell them what is the right carry method for them.

Well I didn't see one person on here that admitted to owning one of these. (minus few scarcism comments)

So I guess the guy that owns the buisness in TN is not to happy because based on the responses no one seems to want to have one of these.

I did'nt realize what a hot topic this was going to be.

Like I said guns for self defense are best left unseen until needed. But it's good to know that most people here seem to have ethical standards when in comes to having the responsibility of carrying a firearm by not doing open carry in public. :P

You had me with the badges are silly, but the open carry comment went a bit too far...

There is nothing irresponsible about open carry in Tennessee, it's legal and a number of folks do it without incident on a regular basis.

A number of folks here will argue that open carry puts you at a tactical disadvantage, and while I personally don't think there is evidence that proves that one way or another it's a point of discussion and a possible risk that you take when you open carry...

Personally I wish we could all carry the firearm(s) of our choice concealed at all times comfortably, but reality is that I'd rather see folks carrying open than not at all, and nobody should try and tell them what is the right carry method for them.

I fully support OC, but do it if you are gonna do it. I despise these chicken **** people who want a badge to make themselves seem "vetted" or something when they OC. The only reason ANYONE is gonna wear an HCP badge other than a joke is to be mistaken for a cop which furthers the mentality that only LE should be armed.