May be moving to NY State soon

Guest logicprevails

Send her on a long vacation to NY.

Won't work. He said she's a yankee. If that's what she grew up with, and hasn't really awakened politically, she won't be bothered by the lack of freedom and the bureaucracy . Hell, she may even like the snow and cold.

Edit: Wait, you mean just to satisfy her urge? Nah, that won't work either. She'll just be mad he doesn't see things her way and just move.

Edited by Arko
clarity
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't work. He said she's a yankee. If that's what she grew up with, and hasn't really awakened politically, she won't be bothered by the lack of freedom and the bureaucracy . Hell, she may even like the snow and cold.

Edit: Wait, you mean just to satisfy her urge? Nah, that won't work either. She'll just be mad he doesn't see things her way and just move.

Yeh That's what I meant. My wife is an AK native. Every once in a while she complains so I send her home until she can't wait to leave. It's good for about two years.

Guest HexHead
I'm visiting my parents in NY right now. Let me say this....WTH ARE YOU THINKING!!!! I couldn't move out of this state fast enough, and after spending the past 3 days here I ain't comin back! It was 0 when I got up this morning, their taxes are almost 10 times mine, and I have 27 acres to their 2, not to mention the state income tax thats equal to federal! Oh, that and there are 0 jobs here. That handgun permit, like you said, you can't legally have a handgun in NY until you have the permit, and the minimum wait time on a NY permit, is the same as tennessee's maximum (3 months I believe?) Not to mention, it still isn't legal to import hi cap mags to NY state, nothing over 10 rounds, so any new guns will have 10 round mags, and its a nightmare to get anything else. Also, a lot of the guns in the original ban, NY still has a ban on believe it or not (IE, assault rifles are illegal in NY, assault rifle being anything having 3 or more items from a checklist, a quick google search will find the list, but its things like, collapsible stock, flash hider, bayonet lug). You couldn't pay me enough to move back up here, and quite frankly, I'm ready to get back to TN!!! Don't do it man! *rant off*

I also grew up in NY. NO woman is worth it.

Also, I'm I understanding this correctly, you need to go through this process just to keep a weapon in your home?

That's correct from what I've heard. My boss' son-in-law just went though this process just so he could buy a handgun up there. Between getting all the paperwork filled out and everything done, I think it took him almost a year before he could legally purchase a firearm up there.

I would try everything in my power to get out of having to move up there. From what all he's told me they basically don't want any firearms in that state. With that kinda mindset that state will most likely end up going the same direciton that Cali has gone where firearms are concerned.

They're making plans to move here before too much longer.

Guest HexHead
That's correct from what I've heard. My boss' son-in-law just went though this process just so he could buy a handgun up there. Between getting all the paperwork filled out and everything done, I think it took him almost a year before he could legally purchase a firearm up there.

I was talking to an old friend of mine that lives in NY earlier this year and he was telling me about a neighbor of his that was trying to get a permit just to have a pistol. The idiot put down the neighbors he thought he was friends with as his references. When the police called them (including my friend), they all said "What are you crazy? We don't want him to have a gun around us." He got turned down and couldn't get a permit, or a gun.

I grew up in Chicago, but my family moved here when I was 14. Now that I know how the law works up there, and as much as I love the city and the people, I'll never go back.

I'd much rather do my yearly 3-day weekend, visit the great restaurants and nightlife, go to a Cub game, and fly back here to TN, than outsource my self-defense to anyone else.

I feel for the cops up there, along with those in NY and CA. It seems to me that the thin blue line is stretched out farther in those places.

On the plus side, at least nobody gets murdered in Chicago anymore. Pesky guns, always causing problems.

Guest coldblackwind
Do you have 4 character references that have known you for more than 4 years, are not family, and reside in Niagra County?

Also, I'm I understanding this correctly, you need to go through this process just to keep a weapon in your home?

Well...mostly correct. You can have rifles and shotguns without a permit, handguns you need a permit to own them at all. Class 3 you can forget.

Guest Synghyn

I grew up right in that area, and most of my family is still up there. That said, not a chance in ***l. Let's just ignore the gun permitting process for a moment, just ya know, for laughs.

COLD! not like here or even a couple states north of here, but frickin' a COLD! Come on man, what are you thinkin? Driving conditions that would close down the whole of the state of TN, are looked at as a minor inconvenience up there. So if you get 8=12 inches of snow and don't/can't go to work, that's your problem not theirs, get a 4x4.

Rude, yeah, it's not just a stereotype, it's a way of life. Heck, even my family is rude to me and they mostly like me. A good illustration of this is my last month in NY (Buffalo, by the by) as compared to my first southern home. I had my car die on me in Buffalo, motorcycle wasn't really an option (what with it being winter and average temps being between 0 and 10F)(yeah, by the way, that's about 45 minutes SOUTH of Niagara county)), so I was riding the bus. Bus was supposed to be at the stop at 8am, didn't show up till 8:15, ok, whatever. But I was waiting at the stop and just nodded at the older woman by me at the stop and said good morning, and she gave me a look like I was satan and kept looking at me sideways while she muttered to herself for the next 20 minutes waiting on the late bus in the freezing cold. Fast forward 6 months to my first time riding the street car in New Orleans (my first home in the south). I walked down to the street car stop and there was a similar aged, nice older woman waiting on the street car, I said Hi and we had a nice chat where she told me about some nice restaurants nearby, caught me up on her children's lives and welcomed me to New Orleans. Then I helped her onto the street car and we went along to work. Yeah, it really is that big a difference, I've had a bunch of similar occurrences over the years in both locales. Frankly, that's enough for me right there, never going north again, period.

Then there are the taxes, TN currently has no state income tax, but that could change, NY has had a state income tax for a LONG time and it isn't exactly going away. The normal state income tax is about equal or just a little more that federal and you don't generally get anything back from it. My state tax last time I lived there (about 20 years ago) was around 800 on a total 28000 hardly living wage, and no return at all, I think I had to end up paying 30 bucks or something. It's higher now, so your looking forward to enjoying that. If you have a choice, Grand Island is a little higher tax, but at least it's pretty and a little more friendly(makes ya feel better when your bending over for it anyway). And property is a lot more expensive there, as well as property taxes, so you'll lose that way too. Long and short of it is you could be making 10k more and not live as well there as you do here.

I'll give you the food thing if you like ethnic food, that's the one thing I miss down south is more ethnic food. I grew up on Greek and good asian, and we don't get the quality or quantity of choices down here that you get up there. Niagara county has great Greek and other ethnic foods, so some consolation there I guess.

In short, I just wouldn't do it. Talk her out of it, run some numbers on taxes and property, both price and taxes on it, and talk her out of it. You will not be happy there, and she probably won't be either. You can visit all you want, and try to move the sensible ones down here. But moving there? Me and my wife are both from up there, and we will never move back up there.

For the record, sorry, I hate to pan a state as it were, but by way of comparison, there is no comparison, it just sucks up there. And of course there's the fact that the gun laws are stupidly restrictive in one of the places that you really need to be able to defend yourself. And most to the point, it aint gonna get better up there, just worse. Talk her out of it brother, we need to keep good folks here.

Syn

Edited by Synghyn
Guest logicprevails
And you're considering this one week into winter! :tough:

I know! Guess we'd have a good chance of a white Christmas there...and a white Easter and Cinco De Mayo...

Guest logicprevails
Amen to that. I HATE going back to visit, and count down to heading back to Tennessee!

I seriously hope it's worth it for you my friend! I wouldn't do it.

Oddly, I love visiting there. Of course, it's Youngstown in the summer and I haven't been there when hell literally freezesover..

Guest logicprevails

Actually, my wife's just to the right of Rush Limbaugh, but she does miss the snow, the cold, the family, and stuff. The things we're willing to go through for the missus.

Logic, I don't know who you are or where you grew up, but moving up there is crazy.

Yeah, seriously dude. I feel like you're getting beat up here, but when I say I ESCAPED, that's not just hyperbole. It won't seem so bad at first, perhaps, or on a visit, but the BS, taxes and the weather will wear you down.

If you're wife is "to the right of Rush Limbaugh" I can't believe SHE even wants to be there. Most of us have just given up and are going to leave the state to rot under the social weight of the liberals and welfare class.

Good luck buddy. You'll need it.

Guest HexHead

If you're wife is "to the right of Rush Limbaugh" I can't believe SHE even wants to be there. Most of us have just given up and are going to leave the state to rot under the social weight of the liberals and welfare class.

Good luck buddy. You'll need it.

Even the people of Vermont and NH have complained about the people moving there from NY destroying their states with their liberal ways. :shrug:

I lived in upstate NY for about ten years. Between Syracuse and Utica. When I moved there from the Atlanta area, I had a difficult time making people understand that I wasn't moving to the city. Where I lived it was woods and farms. Beautiful country and very real, down to earth people. Much of NY is rural. Much more rural than where I live in Tennessee. I had woods around me on three sides and a pasture across the road. And I used to shoot in my back yard! Handguns there are rare but rifles are pretty common. Growing up hunting is part of the culture.

If you stay out of the southeast corner of the state, NY is pretty nice. The NY state government, not so much.

And then there's the snow. We averaged about 200 inches a year. Mostly lake effect snow. Buffalo gets all the publicity but Rochester and Syracuse areas usually get more snow. Get ya some long johns and cover them up with some Carhartts! Get a snowmobile and make the snow your friend. There's hundreds of miles of public trails.

Taxes are rough. Sales tax is about the same as here but state income tax and property taxes are pretty high. Average wages, I would say, are higher than Tennessee so it helps offset the taxes.

Home heating in the winter can be expensive. Avoid oil heating.

Good luck with the move. I suspect some here that have been offering condolences have never even been to NY. It's really not bad. There's even things about it I miss. But not the snow.

Guest coldblackwind
I lived in upstate NY for about ten years. Between Syracuse and Utica. When I moved there from the Atlanta area, I had a difficult time making people understand that I wasn't moving to the city. Where I lived it was woods and farms. Beautiful country and very real, down to earth people. Much of NY is rural. Much more rural than where I live in Tennessee. I had woods around me on three sides and a pasture across the road. And I used to shoot in my back yard! Handguns there are rare but rifles are pretty common. Growing up hunting is part of the culture.

If you stay out of the southeast corner of the state, NY is pretty nice. The NY state government, not so much.

And then there's the snow. We averaged about 200 inches a year. Mostly lake effect snow. Buffalo gets all the publicity but Rochester and Syracuse areas usually get more snow. Get ya some long johns and cover them up with some Carhartts! Get a snowmobile and make the snow your friend. There's hundreds of miles of public trails.

Taxes are rough. Sales tax is about the same as here but state income tax and property taxes are pretty high. Average wages, I would say, are higher than Tennessee so it helps offset the taxes.

Home heating in the winter can be expensive. Avoid oil heating.

Good luck with the move. I suspect some here that have been offering condolences have never even been to NY. It's really not bad. There's even things about it I miss. But not the snow.

I agree, and disagree. I lived in NY for 20 years first of all, so I'm not one of the one's who's never been there :shrug:.

The country part, he's definitely right. I'm from Steuben county, about an hour southish from Rochester, and it is truly beautiful country. I have a picture I took from the top of a hill, that spanned probably close to 20 miles, and you couldn't see 1 house in the picture. Its really a nice area. Also, depending greatly on where you are in the state, the people can be great. In that area is predominantly farmers and country folks, and for the most part its a good bunch of people. Closer to the cities on the other hand...

Ok, now that's about the extent of the good stuff I can say about NY. Weather, well, weather is spectacular. I've seen enough snow in one night to bury a full size dodge pickup, literally, all you could see by morning was the corner of the roof. Schools down here close at the threat of snow, up there I got calls telling me I was responsible for my own way to school because the bus couldn't make it because we got 8 inches of snow the night before, but school wasn't closed. Jobs don't close. Ever. 4wd is your friend, however, bear in mind that gas up there right now is on average 2.89 a gallon, as of yesterday. Any cars you have down here, leave them. They aren't undercoated properly, and after one NY winter, they will be nothing but rust, I've seen it plenty. Don't forget inspection on those same vehicles. If you have ANY idiot lights on, or ANY exhaust problems, ANY lights out, or ANYthing they consider a safety hazard you don't pass inspection, and you don't register the car. Fail 3 times, may as well sell it down here, because you don't register it there at all.

Now, taxes. I own 27 acres of land with a 2 year old house, and bigass barn here, worth something like 200k. They own a 100+ year old house, on 2 acres of land, and a barn thats...well...showing its age, worth something like $60,000 (due mainly to the fact that property prices in that area are awful). My taxes are $600, their taxes are over $2000. Ny has also instituted a view tax, so if you get someplace with a nice view, expect them to tax it. State income tax right now is almost equivalent to federal income tax. So whatever you pay in federal tax here, expect to pay it twice up there.

Also, tn drivers tend to fair poorly in NY. You cannot drive up there like here. Its illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving, and they WILL ticket you for it. 5 miles an hour over the limit up there and they WILL pull you over, and ticket you. Bear in mind there are something like 3 times the number of NY state troopers as TN state police, so they are everywhere, and desperately trying to make their jobs seem necessary. By the way, 1700 mile round trip, I saw more cars pulled over just in the about 400 miles of NY, than I saw in the other 1400 miles of tn, ky, oh, and pa.

Firearms, most of that has been covered. Handguns, you must have a permit to own them period. The permit is challenging, and time consuming to get. They still have assault weapons bans, that are somewhat riduculous. I'm not sure about the entire state, but at least in Steuben county you need to get approved for a purchase coupon for each handgun you buy, then you still have to pass the background. Did I mention that you have to register every handgun you purchase? And when you sell them you have to show some sort of proof as to where they went, and removed them from your permit. If you are caught with a handgun that has not been registered (even if it's as simple as you forgot to add it to your permit) expect large quantities of jail time.

Firearm Laws for New York

All in all, I wouldn't back up there for anything. I got out as fast as I could, and would not go back. My reccomendation is...well...find some other option!

Guest Drewsett

Been to NYC a bunch of times and a few places out of the city visiting colleges a good while back. I appreciated the cultural and entertainment opportunites in the city. The Metropolitan Opera, Broadway, the art museums, the food, all of it is unmatched anywhere in the world really.

That said I don't think I would ever want to live there.

Visit...even frequently if you want to...but visit.