May be moving to NY State soon

Guest logicprevails

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure you can't compromise on Pennsylvania? Not all that far from Niagara and very gun-friendly due to its mostly-rural nature (Philly isn't big enough to get the laws they want through the legislature). You can carry legally just about anywhere here.

Guest ChiefSmitty

I am also goint to be moving to New York. I am on orders to Fort Drum. I have not begun to research what it would take to get mt CCW but it seems to be a huge pain. And not to mention the assault weapons BAN!!! I just bought a nice shiny AK 3 weeks ago. So much for the right to bear arms. :D

I don't think we're going to sway him guys. He's love blind. Just hope he doesn't regret it later, though as a former prisoner, err..resident, I feel he will.

Guest HexHead
I am also goint to be moving to New York. I am on orders to Fort Drum. I have not begun to research what it would take to get mt CCW but it seems to be a huge pain. And not to mention the assault weapons BAN!!! I just bought a nice shiny AK 3 weeks ago. So much for the right to bear arms. :D

I've got a buddy who's a Chinook driver there. Actually, he's a maintenance test pilot. He used to be at Campbell.

Guest logicprevails
I don't think we're going to sway him guys. He's love blind. Just hope he doesn't regret it later, though as a former prisoner, err..resident, I feel he will.

Lol. I appreciate the condolences from all of you. I guess you could call it love blind, but it wouldn't be prudent to send the wife back and stay here, since the 6 YO daughter would go with her also. Can't have both my gals that far away. As far as the taxes, yup....sux. Along with most of the other stuff that was mentioned. However, the opportunity to live within walking distance of Lake Ontario and almost double my income (which would offset the tax situation a bit) just seems like the right move at the moment. Would afford the wife the opportunity to 'return home', as well. Not to mention the medical problems I have that are heat-related that wouldn't be as big of an issue there. Great hunting, fishing, camping, etc. Have even spoken with the pistol clerk (yes they even have a govt pistol clerk....more tax dollars at work :slapfight:) and judge and was given the down-low on how to get an unrestricted license for carry. The good thing is that if we decide to, we can always come back to TN.

Guest 270win

At least you can pretty much carry wherever you want in New York once you get your license to carry/possess. You won't have the silly restriction of no gun in a restaurant/bar and can even have a drink when carrying. You can also carry at pro athletic events that sell liquor....would be nice if that was legal in Tennessee.

Lol. I appreciate the condolences from all of you. I guess you could call it love blind, but it wouldn't be prudent to send the wife back and stay here, since the 6 YO daughter would go with her also. Can't have both my gals that far away. As far as the taxes, yup....sux. Along with most of the other stuff that was mentioned. However, the opportunity to live within walking distance of Lake Ontario and almost double my income (which would offset the tax situation a bit) just seems like the right move at the moment. Would afford the wife the opportunity to 'return home', as well. Not to mention the medical problems I have that are heat-related that wouldn't be as big of an issue there. Great hunting, fishing, camping, etc. Have even spoken with the pistol clerk (yes they even have a govt pistol clerk....more tax dollars at work :slapfight:) and judge and was given the down-low on how to get an unrestricted license for carry. The good thing is that if we decide to, we can always come back to TN.

Well, best of luck to you then man. It looks like you're at least informed.:stir:

Be careful about assuming the heat isn't as bad though. They get plenty of 90+ degree days with absolutely squalid humidity. The good thing is, of course the season of that is WAY shorter.

At least you can pretty much carry wherever you want in New York once you get your license to carry/possess. You won't have the silly restriction of no gun in a restaurant/bar and can even have a drink when carrying. You can also carry at pro athletic events that sell liquor....would be nice if that was legal in Tennessee.

Yup. That's the one advantage, but you darn well better keep it concealed. Permits there are so uncommon compared to the south, that if your sidearm is spotted, the PD will VERY likely get a man with a gun call, where the PD will likely assume the worst first. SO..get really good at "concealed"!

Good luck man!

Guest ChiefSmitty

So I just spoke with the Jefferson County Sheriff in Watertown, NY. They told me the process to register my firearms will begin when I get there and the whole process is taking 6-8 months. New York will not allow you to take them in the state before you have a permit. She said the good news is you can store them in your arms room on post. The bad news is I will be unarmed for the better part of a year before I can even put them in my own house!!! And don't even get me started on a carry permit.