Gun for the Mrs.

Ok need some help here. The wife has expressed interest in having her own handgun. She even has expressed interest in getting her HCP sometime this year possibly so I am trying to encourage the interest.

So far she has shot a Sig P250 9mm, Walther P22 and Luger LCP. Didnt like actually shooting LCP recoil was too much for her "hurt her hand" . Walther P22 liked but not enough stopping power to use for carry. She is not interested in a revolver. Going to be typically carrying in purse so within reason concealment fairly easy. Biggest thing for her is easy recoil. Only other request from me would like to keep it under $1,000 ideally the $500 to $700 price range even better.

So looking for suggestions on this.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G26 !!!!! Bout 95% of women who shoot them love'm. Well in your price range, around 500 maybe a little less. If you can find a used one under 400, jerk there arm off!!! If she don't like it and you don't ether, you can always get your money back.

I would look a Kahr K9 or MK9 in the stainless steel since weight is not an issue since it's in her purse plus when she fires it it will have alittle less recoil. I have never shot one but have heard on forum people have good opinions.

Edited by TNblues

I know you said revolver, and i agree with that choice. it's the ultimate point and click interface. the Ruger SP101 is very robust and is easy to shoot w/ .38 and w/ the right load, maybe hydroshok/gold dot in +p, a serious defensive tool.

that said, love the Kahr p9, easy shooter and the right size for EDC. however, if i had to pick one for my beloved it, it would be a springfield XDm 9mm compact. incredible, easy to use, good capacity, interchangeable backstrap for various sized hands, safe and damn accurate even for a brand new shooter. way more accurate then any revolver.

Can't disagree for a second w/ the Glock 26 vote either. easy shooter. but a slightly higher learning curve for some due to grip angle. That said, the last woman i trained with tried both the G26 and the XDm and oddly enough, hit better and faster w/ the 26. that's what she chose. everyone is different!

Don't know if you have access to any ranges that rent...

my practice when training new shooters is to give them as many different but viable options to try and then pick the one that works best for them. in dozens i have done this with, 8 outa ten go home w/ the XD or the XDm. and that's after running the gammut of the Ruger SP101, Springfield XDm/XD, Kahr, H&K USP or P2000 (they really do like the HK's, lazer accurate but damn spendy) and of course the venerable Glock 19 or 26.

just my .02 cents.

best wishes to a woman that wants to learn and carry. strong work!

My wife and I spent a lot of time choosing her sidearm. In the end she settled on a FNP-9. It's easy for her to handle and shoot accurately and unlike a lot of pistols she can manipulate the slide without having to fight with it. The 9mm in a full sized pistol means minimal recoil. She is also fond of my Glock but isn't comfortable carrying with out a safety on the weapon.

Guest sermon8r
Ok need some help here. The wife has expressed interest in having her own handgun. She even has expressed interest in getting her HCP sometime this year possibly so I am trying to encourage the interest.

So far she has shot a Sig P250 9mm, Walther P22 and Luger LCP. Didnt like actually shooting LCP recoil was too much for her "hurt her hand" . Walther P22 liked but not enough stopping power to use for carry. She is not interested in a revolver. Going to be typically carrying in purse so within reason concealment fairly easy. Biggest thing for her is easy recoil. Only other request from me would like to keep it under $1,000 ideally the $500 to $700 price range even better.

Take her to see Joe and fondle a few handguns.....

My wife has a Taurus .357 mag in stainless. Decent revolver, easy to maintain, goes bam every time, loaded with .38 special it has very little recoil because of the little extra weight of the .357 (my wife only keeps it loaded in .38 sp), and well below your price point. If/when she gets more comfortable cleaning and maintaining (not to mention not limp wristing) a semi-auto, you can always get her another pistol.

Guest 70below

Walther PK380..........reasonable size, good grip profile for those with smaller hands, low recoil due to locked breach and slightly more power than blowback 380's, easy to pull the slide back with little hand strength, inexpensive (around $350)

A day at the range trying as many rentals as possible sounds like it is in order.

Did she like the 250? How about the compact or (don't know if this is out yet or not) the subcompact frame for the 250?

My wife likes her 228 really well although she has been keeping an eye on my g26...

Guest mustangdave
My wife carries her SP 101 daily . . . and is a great shot with it.

This is the same revolver my wife got as her "first" carry weapon...and revolvers a pretty idiot proof...her arsenal now includes a Bersa Thunder 380CC and a Kel-tec P3-AT

My mother likes shooting my Glock 26 more than she likes shooting the 642 thats in the house for her to use as a defense firearm. It is less snappy of a recoil, plus it doesn't have that heavy of a trigger so it is easier for her to make hits with it.

There is more of a learning curve with an autoloader, but I don't think it that really should matter much. Your wife is going to commit to practicing with the gun, at least once she gets her gun correct? If she will go every once in a while with you while you shoot your toys, I'm sure she can get and remain proficient with just about any firearm. Besides, women tend to be naturally better shots than men once they get the fundamentals down.

Another point I'd like to make is purse carry is convenient, but if the BG snatches her purse, well then he has her gun too. Has she thought about any other modes of carry? I know women's clothes just aren't gun friendly at all, but I think an LCP or a P3AT or the new Taurus 380 would most likely fit in her pocket (if she wears clothes with pockets), and that may be the way to go ultimately since she can have it on her even if her purse is in the car or in the BGs hand. Just food for thought, I'm by no means an expert on self defense. Just my .02.

Besides, women tend to be naturally better shots than men once they get the fundamentals down.

Women aren't naturally better shots, they just don't try to teach themselves (like most of us guys) and learn a lot of bad habits which must be un-learned.

Think about it, going to the range is almost as bad as going to the men's bathroom. You just look forward, don't acknowledge anyone around you and for God's sake, don't speak to anyone (unless you're going as a group). Women going to the range is a completely different story. This is one thing I have hated about the "gun culture", a unwillingness to teach each other properly.

Guest db99wj
A day at the range trying as many rentals as possible sounds like it is in order.

Did she like the 250? How about the compact or (don't know if this is out yet or not) the subcompact frame for the 250?

My wife likes her 228 really well although she has been keeping an eye on my g26...

+1 Rental rental rental!

You have a lot of ideas about what make and models, let her decide. If it is not comfortable to her, she won't carry it. Size, weight, features, safety, comfort need to fit her. If gun shop sales person, turns to you and says what she needs is.....laugh, walk out. Go to one of the guys on here that are vendors.

Guest mustangdave
This is the same revolver my wife got as her "first" carry weapon...and revolvers a pretty idiot proof...her arsenal now includes a Bersa Thunder 380CC and a Kel-tec P3-AT

I'll add this: She shoots 38Spec+P in the Ruger SP 101...magnum rounds are a bit much...380JHP's in the Bersa...and 380FMJ in the Kel-Tec, you can run JHP in the Kel-Tec, but the manual says to NOT make it a habit

My wife is carrying a M&P 9mm and its not bad on recoil :D

Guest Bretticus

I have both the Sig P238 and the Kahr PM9. If given a choice, I would choose the Kahr PM9, but I am biased. My Sig P238 is a lemon, but Sig stands by their lemon. It had a safety recall, so I had to send it back. I fired it and it locked up every 2nd shot. I have heard others sing its praises, but I simply can't. The Kahr PM9 is sharp, small, 9mm power, and easily concealed. Good stuff. I also recommend that you seriously check out the WEIGHT of the weapon before buying. Hope this helps. PM9 is my recommendation, if price isn't a consideration. The other issue is the ability to put one in the chamber. Men take this for granted, but grip strength and ability must be considered. The Sig P238 is incredibly easy to load. Walther PPK? Looks sharp, but not so easy. Check them out before you buy.

Women aren't naturally better shots, they just don't try to teach themselves (like most of us guys) and learn a lot of bad habits which must be un-learned.

Think about it, going to the range is almost as bad as going to the men's bathroom. You just look forward, don't acknowledge anyone around you and for God's sake, don't speak to anyone (unless you're going as a group). Women going to the range is a completely different story. This is one thing I have hated about the "gun culture", a unwillingness to teach each other properly.

Best description I've ever heard. As a self-taught fairly new shooter, I know the feeling. It would have been nice to have a mentor, but I didn't have one available, so I've made do. I'd be willing to bet that my shooting is not as good as it could be, had I had some good instruction, and I may still seek some out via TGO.

The simile did fall short in one respect - the one big difference between range and restroom is eye discipline. You can look at the guns in the stall next to you, ask about them, and even provide compliments without either a hospital visit or restraining order forthcoming.:D

Guest Muttling

Her best bang is a J frame .38+P, but you said she doesn't want a revolver.

I would therefore suggest a Keltek 9mm or something along those lines. Lots of choices in the .380's, but poor penetration.