Whats up at Gunny's?

Guest paladin2010

It's such a hit or miss place for me. Sometime, it is impossible to get someone to even show you a gun. Other times, I've had really nice conversations with the staff. The range is ok, but they never have staples! Prices are really high on guns, too high for me to justify supporting the local guy, but so are Coal Creek's. I would like to see the place succeed particularly because it is close to me, but I don't go there simply because it is crazy expensive for a membership. Why pay over $300 a year to shoot in a cave when I can pay a little over $100 a year for all that ORSA has.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The aforementioned Farnsworth's is my favorite LGS. Robbie and the other guys there are good folks. Robbie has actually talked me out of buying certain guns from him because they weren't the best choices for the purpose I had in mind even when he didn't have the 'right' gun in stock at the time. I think he'd rather have a longterm satisfied customer than simply make a sale.

I went into Gunny's once, about a year or so ago. Not bad (then) but I wasn't impressed enough to have returned.

Half Off Depot has a Coal Creek membership for $99.50. That half off regular $199 yearly membership.

Half Off Depot :: Coal Creek Armory

Have you thought about ORSA its way better than any range in Knoxville period. For $120 a year you get an indoor pistol range, outdoor pistol range, plinking range, 1000 yard rifle range, skeet and trap ranges, and more rifle ranges I may be forgetting some also. Heck I think they even have a pond you can fish in. I drove up from Chattanooga and was impressed their members claim to have the best ranges in TN and I have to agree, if I lived closer I'd be a member for sure. CCA didn't impress me at all.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest navarone

Finally shot at Gunnys. Has there been a shoot-out in the range? The place is shot all to pieces, there is bullet holes in the floor, walls, ceiling, and the target hangers. And there wasn't any range disciplane, good place to get hurt. The whole place looked jerry rigged. And the lemon headed guy acted like he was doing you a favor when he waited on you. No wonder the place is going out of business. I'll have to ask Lynn Walker at Walmart what the guys name was.

Guest mikedwood
Finally shot at Gunnys. Has there been a shoot-out in the range? The place is shot all to pieces, there is bullet holes in the floor, walls, ceiling, and the target hangers. And there wasn't any range disciplane, good place to get hurt. The whole place looked jerry rigged. And the lemon headed guy acted like he was doing you a favor when he waited on you. No wonder the place is going out of business. I'll have to ask Lynn Walker at Walmart what the guys name was.

The gun range was brand new about 2 years go. I haven't been there in a year or so though.

I think people intentionally shoot the target hangers. I have heard employees at CCA and Gunnys complain about that.

Guest bkelm18

Yeah, the range at Gunny's was excellent when it was new. Haven't been there recently so I can't comment on its current condition.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, look at when they are open... am I missing something, open 6 days a week but listing hours for seven?

http://www.thegunny.com/indoor-range-i-54.html?osCsid=15080d14b79e2696c80c7992f3ad1145

Second...18 friggin dollars! It used to be 15 and 5 for a second person. What are they trying to do, make their high membership price sound/look enticing?

I've been there and was actually considerering going tommorow to convenience someone else I was going to shoot with. I ain't paying $18 to shoot anywhere.

Edited by jeremy155rr
I think people intentionally shoot the target hangers. I have heard employees at CCA and Gunnys complain about that.

They shoot a lot more than the target hangers.

That's why we're rolling out a new target hanger design (hopefully on Monday).

And the next person I catch intentionally shooting anything other than a target is going to end up in a world of hurt.

• 4 months later...
Guest paladin2010

I heard Gunny's was finally going out of business. Its about time. Their customer service is the worst. Since they got rid of Lynn from Walmart you go in and its like you don't exist. So I buy my ammo from Lynn at Walmart and shoot at Coal Creek. Has anyone else heard that Gunnys is going under?

Guest TargetShooter84

Good Riddance to Gunny's

I was planning on checking it out but after hearing all horror stories, I'm passing that up.

Guest Linoge
I heard Gunny's was finally going out of business.

I certainly will not miss them, but is there any kind of official support to this rumor? Last I was there, the range was at about 50% capacity, and the store was empty of people and darned close to empty of stock. Granted, it was a Sunday, but if that is the baseline level, I am not sure how well they would survive... and they might not be, apparently.

Guest rockbottom12

I noticed the price had gone up and for me that put it out of my range. I have access to some acreage outside the city and i just go there instead. it was a nice treat but not at the new price.

I have a membership. I've always found the staff friendly and I shoot there often because I go to Maryville fairly often with my work which makes it convienent. I'd really like to know if there is any truth to these rumors before I renew...

I wish I had the funds I would buy them out that place has ridiculous potential.

I am with you. I think the place could be a great business in the right hands. I suggest we take up funds from fellow TGO members and buy it. Since your cup of tea is in sales then I suggest you run it for us......we can work out the profit sharing details later :).

Guest bkelm18

It really is a shame they're ending like this if it's true. I remember when they first opened all the fanfare and hoopla. I used to frequent their range and even took my HCP class there. Appears poor business practices got the better of them.