My first 1911 coming soon

Guest peacexxl

Guest peacexxl

15th wedding anniversary coming up in mid-February and I've got my wife convinced that the perfect gift for me is a PT1911b1.

This will be my first 1911 as well as my first 45. Still fairly new to shooting, I've been working my way up. Got a couple of 9mm which are both officially my wife's. Personally, I carry an XD-40 which I love. The Taurus 1911 is a really nice gun IMO. It just feels really natural in my hand (yes I have fondled this among many 1911s in the gun shops).

I like the basic heavy steel model, no aluminum frame, no rail, just basic blue, though I will probably change the grip panels. The one conflict I have is whether I should remain diversified in caliber or should I trade my XD-40 for an XD-45. I'm thinking I'll keep it and probably add to it in the future. Plus I am almost certain I will start adding revolvers to the family soon as well.

Does everyone go through these decisions or am I just overthinking the whole thing?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Drewsett

I have been "thinking about" purchasing my first handgun for six months now...so no, you're not the only one...

When I DO finally buy one, I am planning on sticking with the same caliber between guns as much as I possibly can...just because I plan on reloading once I buy a house that has a garage...my wife won't let me do any of that stuff in the house.

I have been handling alot of 1911's recently and I was pretty impressed with the Taurus as well. Alot of guys on here aren't huge fans of them...they don't think they cost what a "good" gun should cost...and there's also the fact that Taurus customer service is supposedly crap...but then again they have a lifetime warranty. If you feel the gun is the right gun for you, it probably is.

You planning on carrying the Taurus? It is pretty dang big...and heavy since you want the all steel heavy model. If you haven't already look at the Rock Island or Citadel 1911's...similar price range and they do make compact models.

Guest jackdm3

Most guys here buy more than necessary and usually never buy only one .45. I've started rethinking anything black or blue because you know it'll wear off. Some here will advise against anything bright that will mark your location, but I think that with the speed at which things happen during urban combat, it probably won't matter.

Sounds like you have a good wife. Nothing says I love you honey like a deadly weapon.

I do not have a 1911, but I did look at the Taurus at one time. At the time, it seemed like the best bang for the buck. That has been a year or two, so I am not sure what the other players are now. If the price is still good, I would say you would not be going wrong with it.

As for consolidating calibers, I think the more you have to choose from, the better off you are. With the ammo market as it is these days, I think it is best to keep your options open for whatever ammo you might be able to get at any given time. Short answer of it is, keep the 40 too in my opinion.

I do understand you could stock up on one type of ammo, but if you cannot get it, it does not matter how much you try to stock up. Just get an abundance for each caliber you own.

And as for some of us we dont know when to quit collecting 1911,S,My PT1911AR is one of my favorites among the few I have.I have had no reasons to complain about either of my Taurus pistols,they both are reliable and accurate enough for what I use them for.My other Taurus is a PT24/7 in .40S&W,like anything else,it is always good to have a couple of choices when it comes to caliber.

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

I think that you'll be more than happy with the PT1911. I don't own one, but may pick one up for the hell of it later to go with my other 1911s. I was impressed when I shot a buddy's a few days ago - felt decent, shot decent, and a couple of small things will really bring it up to par.

Most guys here buy more than necessary and usually never buy only one .45. I've started rethinking anything black or blue because you know it'll wear off. Some here will advise against anything bright that will mark your location, but I think that with the speed at which things happen during urban combat, it probably won't matter.

You mean like the sound of a .45 going off, or muzzle flash? :P

Like you said, in the world most of us live in, it's a moot point. Now if you're doing a 24 hour stalk in your Ghillie suit, I'd take something less shiny.

Guest peacexxl

The quality/price ratio has made me a fairly big Taurus fan and like I said, after diddling several, the PT1911 fit my hand very well. Nice to see that TA.net isn't the only place that the bull gets a little respect.

Not really worried about the shiny factor since I carry IWB and if she has to come out then by the time you see her it's gonna be too late for anyone to hide. I just prefer the look of the blue.

As far as carrying the weight of the all steel model, HA! I am 6'3" and 275 lbs so another 5" and 1.5 lbs won't make much difference.

Guest peacexxl

Hey Krunchnik, don't know if you recall but I was the guy on TA who suggested that you put the gun in the case on Old Whitten Rd to facilitate your PT1911 acquisition.

The quality/price ratio has made me a fairly big Taurus fan and like I said, after diddling several, the PT1911 fit my hand very well. Nice to see that TA.net isn't the only place that the bull gets a little respect.

Not really worried about the shiny factor since I carry IWB and if she has to come out then by the time you see her it's gonna be too late for anyone to hide. I just prefer the look of the blue.

As far as carrying the weight of the all steel model, HA! I am 6'3" and 275 lbs so another 5" and 1.5 lbs won't make much difference.

I should only be so lucky. :P

Guest Drewsett

I am 6'2'" and 265lbs...and I still try to go with the medium frame guns because I want to be able to conceal them effectively. But hey, to each their own!

I just checked out the PT1911 as compared to the Rock Island, the American Classic II (which I bought) and few others for my own first 1911, and I think the PT1911 is a solid gun for the price. It seems that the entry level is where the competition is with manufacturers right now, and there are many good solid bargains.

After several hundred rounds through my new bargain, I couldn't be more satisfied, and I think I'm now hooked on 1911's too.

As for calibers, I went through that many vs one caliber too, and have consolidated a little, with two primary calibers now, but overall I think it's good not to put all your eggs in one basket, and be able to shoot whatever is most available in the moment at times of "famine". There were times recently when I COULD get 9mm, and not .38, or vice versa...

And as for some of us we dont know when to quit collecting 1911,S,My PT1911AR is one of my favorites among the few I have.I have had no reasons to complain about either of my Taurus pistols,they both are reliable and accurate enough for what I use them for.My other Taurus is a PT24/7 in .40S&W,like anything else,it is always good to have a couple of choices when it comes to caliber.

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

That 1911 was what I'm trying to trade my Glock and Eotech for.:P

Cograts on a great wife. I never liked 1911 models, the ARMY ruined me on 1911's and the 46 ACP.

I really think most go thru this process of finding "our" firearm and caliber. Just work with it for awhile before doing any thing and see where your interest lie.

Be safe and have fun.

Guest 10mm4me

I would get a RIA for an entry level 1911, built out of solid steel like a tank.My whole problem with Taurus is if you have a Taurus next to any other 1911 and rack them both back,the Taurus always sounds different. This is because the majority of the Taurus' internal parts are MIM. Not forged or even stamped. I do not like MIM guns.It may be just me,it may be nothing, but I just can't bring myself to spend money on one.Here is a link explaining the process.

Metal injection molding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guys,

Congrats on your entry level 1911's, I started with a Kimber and as my income levels changed so did the desire to move up the ladder. I will just warn you that this addiction will have your bank account screaming and your wife's making deals with you like, OK you can buy the Ed Brown but I will need a new Refrigerator, just prepare yourself, it will eventually happen :clap:

Guest Drewsett
Guys,

Congrats on your entry level 1911's, I started with a Kimber and as my income levels changed so did the desire to move up the ladder. I will just warn you that this addiction will have your bank account screaming and your wife's making deals with you like, OK you can buy the Ed Brown but I will need a new Refrigerator, just prepare yourself, it will eventually happen :clap:

I know the feeling, I've been wheeling and dealing with the wife over my upcoming HCP acquisition and gun purchase(s) I have been told that if I get more than one gun I also have to buy new windows :)

I know the feeling, I've been wheeling and dealing with the wife over my upcoming HCP acquisition and gun purchase(s) I have been told that if I get more than one gun I also have to buy new windows :)

Well now,thats a proposition anyone can see thru.:clap:

Guest jackdm3

Anyone know it Taurus uses exact metal qualities for every gun compared to the originals? For example, my cousin's Kimber (which is an economy/value) was oxidizing on the barrel at the breach within weeks of ownership but without even been fired. I don't want to see this in a Taurus. I'll also consider only a stainless model if we know that the durability of its finish is close to equal to the big boys.