Dan Wesson help needed

I traded "up" on the Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm with a guy on this forum. Since getting the gun I have shot probably only 100 rounds through it and as he stated it was still very new and in its break in period. However, this gun is simply unsafe to shoot in my opinion in its current state. He warned me that the trigger screw could losen a bit and cause the gun to act up but im finding that it is more often than not. The gun will jam almost every other shot, no exaggeration. A lot of times the slide will not rack back the hammer and after a shot I will have to thumb the hammer back for the next shot. And one time the gun fired 2 rounds with one pull of the trigger. I called DW and explained this to them but they wanted waaaay too much money to deal with the gun. (worst customer service company ive come accross.) If it is the trigger screw can I have it fixed in so it doesnt move?

All that being said I am very green around fixing a gun and do not know what im looking at. Any suggestions on what is going on? I think the ammo is GA arms ill look when I get home so I dont think that is the issue, but I havent tried a different brand.

Im in the Chattanooga area and I guess am in the market for a good Smith, any suggestions on that as well are welcome. This gun is too nice (and expensive) for me not to be able to shoot.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the sear is broken. When the hammer doesnt cock fully does it at least go to half-cock? That happens on 1911's, especially custom 1911's, when people drop the slide on an empty chamber repeatadly.

CZ's Warranty:

Limited Five Year Warranty

All CZ-USA firearms are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship for one (1) year on wooden parts and surface treatment and five (5) years on other parts. This warranty is granted by CZ-USA, P.O. Box 171073, Kansas City, KS 66117-0073. Under no circumstances shall CZ-USA be responsible for incidental or consequential damages with respect to economic loss or injury to property, whether as a result of breach or express or implied warranty, negligence or otherwise. Some states do not allow the exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, so above limitation may not apply to you. CZ-USA will not be responsible for the results of careless handling, unauthorized- adjustments, defective, low quality, reloaded or improper ammunition, corrosion, neglect, ordinary wear and tear, or unreasonable use. Furthermore, the liability of CZ-USA under this warranty shall be limited solely to the obligation to replace or repair the firearm and to pay the related transportation charge from the facility of CZ-USA. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.

PLEASE NOTE: Handguns and long guns are classified as FIREARMS or DANGEROUS WEAPONS. Guns are surrendered to CZ-USA with the express understanding that it assumes no responsibility for pre-sale handling under local laws and regulations.

YOUR RECEIPT SERVES AS YOUR PROOF OF OWNERSHIP FOR WARRANTY PURPOSES. A COPY OF THIS WILL BE REQUIRED IN THE EVENT WARRANTY REPAIR WORK IS NEEDED IN THE FUTURE.

Dan Wesson Warranty Center

For all DAN WESSON brand pistols and revolvers please call 1-607-336-1174 or e-mail dwservice@cz-usa.

-----

Bolding and highlighting are not mine - so dont think I'm trying to imply you broke it. The few times we've needed to deal with CZ on warranty work they've been professional and pretty quick about things, so I think worst customer service is a stretch. Try dealing with Taurus haha. Anyway, you may try to see what a local shop can do for you as far as speaking to CZ about sending it back for repair.

Edited by Metalhead

If Daniel is right, it needs factory service or a good gunsmith.

Daniel's place is a haul for you. Hero Gear is a bit closer in Winchester.

Here in Cleveland there is Volunteer Ordinance....I'm sure others will chime in, but it doesn't sound ammo related to me.

I'm pretty sure that DW was once owned by me, and there were ZERO issues with it until after I sold it.

I purchased a 50 round box of American Eagle ammo from Jasongar8, and the DW ran flawlessly.

I then received 500 rounds of Georgia Arms 10mm, which never got used by me. I sold all 500 rounds with the DW. I have no idea if it's an ammo issue, but I would try another brand, just in case.

I'm pretty sure that DW was once owned by me, and there were ZERO issues with it until after I sold it.

I purchased a 50 round box of American Eagle ammo from Jasongar8, and the DW ran flawlessly.

I then received 500 rounds of Georgia Arms 10mm, which never got used by me. I sold all 500 rounds with the DW. I have no idea if it's an ammo issue, but I would try another brand, just in case.

Worth a shot...no pun intended!

I traded "up" on the Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm with a guy on this forum. Since getting the gun I have shot probably only 100 rounds through it and as he stated it was still very new and in its break in period. However, this gun is simply unsafe to shoot in my opinion in its current state. He warned me that the trigger screw could losen a bit and cause the gun to act up but im finding that it is more often than not. The gun will jam almost every other shot, no exaggeration. A lot of times the slide will not rack back the hammer and after a shot I will have to thumb the hammer back for the next shot. And one time the gun fired 2 rounds with one pull of the trigger. I called DW and explained this to them but they wanted waaaay too much money to deal with the gun. (worst customer service company ive come accross.) If it is the trigger screw can I have it fixed in so it doesnt move?

All that being said I am very green around fixing a gun and do not know what im looking at. Any suggestions on what is going on? I think the ammo is GA arms ill look when I get home so I dont think that is the issue, but I havent tried a different brand.

Im in the Chattanooga area and I guess am in the market for a good Smith, any suggestions on that as well are welcome. This gun is too nice (and expensive) for me not to be able to shoot.

If the trigger over travel screw has worked its way out it will hammer follow. So if you need to pull the hammer back after a shot then that is what has happened. Adjusting the screw is no big deal.

Guest Todd@CIS
If the trigger over travel screw has worked its way out it will hammer follow.

How?

I used to completely remove the trigger over travel screw on my 1911s.

Sounds like his main problem is with the sear or hammer.

How?

I used to completely remove the trigger over travel screw on my 1911s.

Sounds like his main problem is with the sear or hammer.

It is possible if the trigger screw is out far enough that the bow could put enough pressure on the sear spring when the trigger is pinned to cause hammer follow. This is not a hard rule however, it would depend on the hammer sear combo and their geometry and the trigger that is being used.

What he described and the fact that the previous owner talked about the over travel screw would lead me to believe that the screw is the problem. That would be the first thing I would eliminate as a problem in any case.

Edited by timcalhoun
typo
Yeah what he's saying (auto-fire, hammer not cocking all the way) are usually indications of a screwed up sear.

Of course we don't know what the gun has been through, or what crazy thing the orig owner might have done, but if it is the original sear and it has been untouched I would look other places first. But it would be easy enough to pull out and look at.

this may help explain what is happening,.. near the last 2 paragraphs

GunTech : 2-½ lb. Trigger Pull - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

in short :

1. the pin holes in the frame are in the wrong place.. I have an old Essex Arms that suffers that malady I am unfamiliar with the DW having this problem or not but it may be possible after the parts wore in that it would rear its head...

2.Someone could have tried to home smith the trigger for a lighter/smoother pull and shortened the nose or thinned the engagement too much

3.the 3 finger spring could also have gone soft allowing the sear to "bounce" under recoil ( IIRCthe series 80 Gold Cups had a special spring and lever to avoid this )

4. fire control pieces are worn but with the age of this pistol it sounds unlikely...

Time to see a gunsmith to check for these problems..

Good Luck and I hope your problems leave you soon..

John

Of course we don't know what the gun has been through, or what crazy thing the orig owner might have done, but if it is the original sear and it has been untouched I would look other places first. But it would be easy enough to pull out and look at.

That is my concern. Without tearing it down you can't tell what someone might have done to the pistol. If the over travel screw is coming loose I would bet someone has been tinkering.

Guest Rugerman
That is my concern. Without tearing it down you can't tell what someone might have done to the pistol. If the over travel screw is coming loose I would bet someone has been tinkering.

TDR is the original owner of this gun. He sold this gun to another forum member, who then sold it to me. While firing one night, the hammer was following the slide back. No auto fire, no crazy jamming, nothing of that nature. I asked opinions on here and other forums about what it was. I contacted the two prior owners and asked if the gun had been modified in any way. I was assured the gun was factory. TDR was especially helpful. I took the gun home, tore it down, and nothing seemed broken or out of place compared to other 1911's. I contacted Dan Wesson. They wanted to see the gun. Before shipping it out, I received a call from one of the techs there. He said if the overtravel screw was too loose, it could cause the hammer follow. I noticed that the overtravel screw was backed almost all the way out. I tightened it, took it out, fired several mags, and no hammer follow at all. I presumed it was fixed. I wouldn't have sold it otherwise. Knowing that the new owner is still having these issues after I sold him the gun months ago, I have contacted him privately to discuss what can be done. There is no need to speculate that someone butchered the gun or maliciously did anything to it. Both of the people who owned this gun before me are honorable people with whom I would buy from anytime. This gun was not modified and I did not believe at the time of sale that it was dangerous or broken in any way.

I was a naughty boy and followed the threads to the origins of the pistol in question. This was a known problem with this pistol as seen here:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/26306-hammer-follow.html

If the OP is true, then this would not have been TripleDigitRides pistol.

I'm pretty sure it was once mine.

I think Rugerman unintentionally misspoke when referring to the DW and "brand new". It may have not been brand new, but it was very close. I put only 50 rounds through it, and I don't think the second owner put too many through it himself.

Guest BigShot
Again, being the original owner, I am willing to do whatever I can to get this issue resolved. With the paperwork I have, and being the original owner, I'm sure I can get it fixed under warranty if needed.

Hey TDR.... Hats off!! :confused:

You and quite a few other honorable TGO members are why I really enjoy being a part of the scene. Many of the other forums I participate in have not had the good folks step up like your example. Thanks for showing there are still good people out there.

BigShot