Dan Wesson help needed

TDR is the original owner of this gun. He sold this gun to another forum member, who then sold it to me. While firing one night, the hammer was following the slide back. No auto fire, no crazy jamming, nothing of that nature. I asked opinions on here and other forums about what it was. I contacted the two prior owners and asked if the gun had been modified in any way. I was assured the gun was factory. TDR was especially helpful. I took the gun home, tore it down, and nothing seemed broken or out of place compared to other 1911's. I contacted Dan Wesson. They wanted to see the gun. Before shipping it out, I received a call from one of the techs there. He said if the overtravel screw was too loose, it could cause the hammer follow. I noticed that the overtravel screw was backed almost all the way out. I tightened it, took it out, fired several mags, and no hammer follow at all. I presumed it was fixed. I wouldn't have sold it otherwise. Knowing that the new owner is still having these issues after I sold him the gun months ago, I have contacted him privately to discuss what can be done. There is no need to speculate that someone butchered the gun or maliciously did anything to it. Both of the people who owned this gun before me are honorable people with whom I would buy from anytime. This gun was not modified and I did not believe at the time of sale that it was dangerous or broken in any way.

I apologize if I offended anyone. I did say "tinker" not "butcher." I have owned several 1911's. I have a CBOB on my hip now. People love to "tinker" with the triggers on 1911's, myself included. It is easy to make one unsafe in a hurry, with no malice.

You are a stand up guy for helping to make it right.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TDR is the original owner of this gun. He sold this gun to another forum member, who then sold it to me. While firing one night, the hammer was following the slide back. No auto fire, no crazy jamming, nothing of that nature. I asked opinions on here and other forums about what it was. I contacted the two prior owners and asked if the gun had been modified in any way. I was assured the gun was factory. TDR was especially helpful. I took the gun home, tore it down, and nothing seemed broken or out of place compared to other 1911's. I contacted Dan Wesson. They wanted to see the gun. Before shipping it out, I received a call from one of the techs there. He said if the overtravel screw was too loose, it could cause the hammer follow. I noticed that the overtravel screw was backed almost all the way out. I tightened it, took it out, fired several mags, and no hammer follow at all. I presumed it was fixed. I wouldn't have sold it otherwise. Knowing that the new owner is still having these issues after I sold him the gun months ago, I have contacted him privately to discuss what can be done. There is no need to speculate that someone butchered the gun or maliciously did anything to it. Both of the people who owned this gun before me are honorable people with whom I would buy from anytime. This gun was not modified and I did not believe at the time of sale that it was dangerous or broken in any way.

When you say "tightened it" (the overtravel screw that is) did you mean adjust it or did you really tighten it? Because if you screw it in too far a bunch of wierd crap can happen and possibly damage your hammer and sear angles.

Guest Rugerman

I screwed it in some. I don't remember exactly how much, I followed the instructions of the DW rep. It was almost falling out. I didn't make it "tight" by any means.

It may not be in enough.

So, whoever has this gun either go to the link I posted in the earlier thread and follow those details or you can just do this.

Unloaded gun of course. Then with you shooting hand grab the gun as if you were shooting it (slide is forward and hammer is down) pull the trigger and keep it pinned to the rear.

With the other hand (while keeping the trigger pinned) pull the hammer back and forward several times. You should feel nothing but the natural spring resistance. If that is the case we then need to make sure the screw is not out too far. (If the screw was too far in you would feel two catches as you worked the hammer. These are the hooks on the hammer going over the sear.)

But, if you feel no catches you slowly work the screw in about 1/2 turn at a time checking each time you make an adjustment. At some point you will feel the hammer hooks catch the sear. At that point back the screw out one full turn or 1 1/2 turns. You overtravel screw is adjusted. You may want to put some green loctite on it before you start so it will hold position. But only 1 tiny drop!

Hope this helps. : )

Edited by timcalhoun
typo

I was the 2nd owner. I did buy it and ammo from TDR.

If I recall I did place 50-100 rounds in it.

I did clean it one time.

It did have a slight problem with doing a hand cycle of ammo. And I figured out I was limp wrist it to do that. I cant recall much more than what I passed along to Rugerman. But I can atest I nor TDR did any mods to the gun and I would believe Rugerman to what he says.

Ill be glad to buy the gun if need be. As I am certain DW would fix any problem for me.

If I felt the gun was unsafe I would have never made a trade with Rugerman.

Thank you all for your input and concern over this gun, this is the reason I come back to this forum. Had I thought Rugerman tried to pull the wool over my eyes I would of contacted him. It sounds like there are several thiings that I can try including trying different ammo and repositioning the screw. However, im not nearly as savvy around a firearm as you guys on the forum, I dont want to damage the gun by overtightening the screw, and the last time I shot it it was unsafe to shoot. I did have a friend shoot it last time as well and the same problems occured with him so im pretty sure its not my style (limp wristing) etc. I want to keep the gun at this point but want to know that its going to perform like a high dollar gun should perform.

TDR, any chance on getting the receipt or some paperwork that I can send it back to CZ? Whatever the problem is it is my belief, correct me if im wrong, that this should be their problem and not ours. If its the trigger/screw they need to fix the problem, I have a problem with putting loctite on this gun, but if thats what THEY want to do im happy with it.

Thanks again. And sorry to have abandoned this thread, I was away this weekend.

Guest Rugerman

Keep us posted if this route doesn't work out. The plus in all this is that they are not going to make this model any longer and it will only go up in value!

Thanks again,

I sent the gun off yesterday ($90 to ship it ouch!). When I had to ship my snubbie back to smith and wesson they pre-paid for me to do so.

I talked to the smith on the phone and he said the mags that they used back then have since been replaced and that may be part of the problem and part of the problem may be the Georgia Arms ammo.

To be continued.

I got the gun back today, pretty fast actually! That was a pleasant suprise. The note in the box states, "Corrections made: Re-cut feed ramp, tuned trigger, and test fired for function."

I hope this does the trick. Once I finally get it out for a test fire I will keep you all updated. Again, thanks you all! Its problem solving like this that keeps me coming back to this site.

My experience with CZ is you have to specifically ask them for a return label. Otherwise you assume the cost. BTW the guys who answer the phones are NOT smiths and sometimes over step their authority and knowledge trying to be helpful. However, I always got to talk to someone who was at least trying to be helpful and they are fast. Two thumbs up!

Wow,.. re-cut feed ramp

as in "sorry we missed that " ???

Sounds like good times are ahead for you..

I also wish to apologize to the posters who owned this pistol if they were offended by my post I didn't mean to infer you went inside with a monkey wrench... and I have seen that 3 finger spring lose temper all by itself and cause problems with the hammer/sear

John

Guest BigShot

Anxious for range report myself. Never ever heard of feed ramps and magazines being the cause of doubles. Maybe that's extra stuff they found outta spec other than adjusting the trigger. Hoping to hear good news!!