How much do you change carry methods

Guest peacexxl

Guest peacexxl

With it being colder than a polar bears toenails right now, I'm wondering if people drastically change the method of carry versus having nicer weather. When I got my HCP this past summer, I had bought a Kholster for my XD40 and generally carry IWB from 3 to 5 o'clock. I also bougth a Black Hawk Serpa paddle holster and when it got colder, I found it much easier to throw on my 3/4 length leather coat and slip on the Serpa carrying OWB under my jacket. I did notice that I am more self conscious carrying OWB because of how bulky the paddle holster is, but then I was also self conscious when I first stared carrying IWB when my permit first came. I feel like I am more concealed IWB but my gun is more accessible OWB. Anyone else hyper aware of these differences or do you guys just slap it on and go? I am comfortable carrying but I feel like it may still be a while before my paranoia about things settles into a good hightend awareness.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

I carry a full sized Beretta OWB everywhere. I started carrying 10 years ago and it's been with me for 9. Clothing habits changed to accomodate OWB by wearing only decent Cuban cut, dark short sleeves in summer and untucked dark button downs in winter. On occasion my wife will step behind me to straight the shirt out if something is getting hung up. If I had to go back to tucking in shirts, I would probably be using my pockets for something. Either way, I don't really care if it's being seen by the sheeple.

Guest 270win

I often keep my snub in my outer coat pocket instead of pants pocket. It is pretty quick to get to that way. Nice when pumping gas or walking across parking lots.

I carry a full sized Beretta OWB everywhere. I started carrying 10 years ago and it's been with me for 9. Clothing habits changed to accomodate OWB by wearing only decent Cuban cut, dark short sleeves in summer and untucked dark button downs in winter. On occasion my wife will step behind me to straight the shirt out if something is getting hung up. If I had to go back to tucking in shirts, I would probably be using my pockets for something. Either way, I don't really care if it's being seen by the sheeple.

Yea, what he said.

I normally don't wear a heavy or long coat in winter, just an insulated jacket, so I tend to pocket-carry a j-frame all year.

. . . I did notice that I am more self conscious carrying OWB because of how bulky the paddle holster is, but then I was also self conscious when I first stared carrying IWB when my permit first came. I feel like I am more concealed IWB but my gun is more accessible OWB. Anyone else hyper aware of these differences or do you guys just slap it on and go? I am comfortable carrying but I feel like it may still be a while before my paranoia about things settles into a good hightend awareness.

Don't worry about people staring at you - most people look at their own feet. Nobody notices anything -- that's why they're sheep.

Edited by enfield
Guest janwbrown616

I have my Glock 27, my Walther PPK/S and my LCP all fitted with the clip draw. I carry the same position unless circumstances dictate something different...

I often keep my snub in my outer coat pocket instead of pants pocket. It is pretty quick to get to that way. Nice when pumping gas or walking across parking lots.

Good post. Me too. Glock 33 in an allen miller pocket kydex holster.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Guest Oaklands

I vary the way I carry depending on the gun, my clothing and just how the heck I feel that day.

Most of the time IWB, 2nd most OWB (bianchi 82 which fits all my semi's), SOB sometimes for my 1911's and a bellyband for any of them. I like using all my holsters.

i change up all the time depending on dress. g27 iwb leather, iwb kydex, owb paddle, owb leather. pf9 iwb clip or iwb kydex. P3AT iwb clip, iwb kydex, or front pocket holster. it's really better idea to stay with one and get good at drawing from that position. Also sometimes i take out what ever i'm carrying and put it in my jacket pocket so i can have a hand on it. when all is good it goes back to the usual place so the trigger is covered.

Guest Muttling

If I'm going to keep my coat on, I drop it in my coat pocket. Otherwise it's my IWB holster. If I'm wearing a sweater, my holster is not tucked inside the shirt.

Thats about it.

I don't change carry method; Comp-Tac paddle. I do switch from 9mm to .45 in cold weather; I figure I might need the extra hardball punch to get through heavier clothes. That may be goofy, but it's just what I think...

I though it was the other way around.:D

I generally carry OWB like other have said with it covered. :D That being said I have 3 carry types I use. Mostly is OWB but I also use IWB, mostly in the summer for deep concelament, and I also have a Maxpedition Fat Boy for those other times when on body is not the best scenario. I will say I much prefer on the body for numerous reasons.

Guest crotalus01
I don't change carry method; Comp-Tac paddle. I do switch from 9mm to .45 in cold weather; I figure I might need the extra hardball punch to get through heavier clothes. That may be goofy, but it's just what I think...

Not goofy at all according to Ayoub. He also says to use hardball instead of HP in the winter because the HP will fill in as it passes through the extra clothing and prevent expansion.

I carry FMJ in the winter. I went from IWB to OWB. I've also moved my BUG from the Bersa Thunder .380 to Keltec PF9. The BUG change is permanent, though. The KelTec resides in my outer coat pocket. My main gun is either the G19 or the G21SF. I've been eyeballing the Galco Jackass rig for winter carry as getting past the jacket and layered clothes might be an issue when reaching for my main firearm. Here's a link to the Jackass rig if anyone's interested.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

With cold weather in I switch from 642 in Nemesis in pocket to 640 in a Bianchi #105 slide on the belt .The Bianchi tucks gun very close to the body and sweater or hoody makes it dissappear. I'm 66 and I get cold easy so the extra clothing is normal. The main reason for heavier gun is I also switch to hotter ammo during the cold months. Bad guys get colder and dress warmer too!

728841AB31224BE390D0486C361B173C.jpg

Guest HexHead
Not goofy at all according to Ayoub. He also says to use hardball instead of HP in the winter because the HP will fill in as it passes through the extra clothing and prevent expansion.

Not with Hornady Critical Defense it won't.

As for the original question, if I'm going to be keeping a jacket or down vest on, I'm more inclined to wear my shoulder holster. If they hadn't changed the restaurant law, I'd be using it more often. :cheers:

Depends on where I am going. I carry a Glock 17 with serpa in the winter. If I'm going somewhere that has call for a little more conceal I stick it in a inside belt left handed blackhawk in the small of my back. I'm 6-6 so I don't have a problem carrying full size guns.

I mostly carry my Glock 19 in a Serpa year around... Obviously it tends to be easier to carry concealed during the colder months... I'm not overly concerned with a little printing or the last inch or two of the holster showing under my shirt... The vast majority of sheeple don't even notice the firearm when it's completely visible, let alone when it's mostly covered.