In praise of the "Colt Detective"...

creeky

Last Saturday I got the pleasure of shooting a confiscated Colt Detective.

Little Blue, 2" snubby that held 6 rounds of .38 Special. It had some minor

pitting on it but OH MAN was it a sweet shooting little thing!

It was the first time I had ever shot one of those. It was a joy. The trigger

was amazing. I wondered if it had some trigger work done to it. Hard to

say since the previous owner is a little hard to get a hold of now. The single

action pull was awesome and the DA pull was like Butt'ah!

So I'm wondering... do all Colt Detectives have such good triggers?

Or had this one been worked on a bit? In any event... I'm going to have

to put this on my "Keep on a look out" list.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about all Detective Specials, but mine is a sweet shooter too. My wife swears by that gun and won't have anything else.

Yeah! :(

I'm wondering if all of them were made wih that good of a trigger pull. I'm hoping all will go well after the first of the year, if so I'll have to keep an eye out for one. It was just great fun to shoot.

With Colts, the day they came from the factory was their best trigger pull. There isn't much you can do to make them better. (But with some reasonable work a Smith will end up with a better trigger imo).

I had a Dick once. I couldnt shoot it worth a darn. Point of impact was way off POA. And it was me plus the gun. A friend of mine shot it just fine. I wanted to like it but just couldn't. The earlier models with exposed ejector rod were trouble when the rod bent.

fwiw, the Armscorp .38 with 2" barrels seem to me modeled after the Colt. Not that they are really comparable, but same size and feel.