Ladies Only - What are you Carrying and How?

Alright girls, it's been way too quiet around here lately! I know we have some newbies that have joined up recently and maybe some of you that have been here for a while might have changed your carry gun and/or rig.

So lets find out what our female TGO members are carrying these days, along with how you're carrying it!

I'll start! :up: I alternate carry between a Glock 27, Springfield EMP, and Taurus 85.

I carry the Glock 27 IWB in either a Kholster or a Comp-Tac Minotaur Neutral (Appendix Carry) Cant Holster at around 1-2 o'clock. To be honest, I really prefer the Kholster over the Minotaur.....it's more comfortable for me and was less than half the cost too. I wish Comp-Tac would offer steel belt clips instead of the Kydex ones.....the steel ones on the Kholster hold more securely than the kydex on the Minotaur does. I might end up replacing the kydex clips with steel ones that I'll order from Kholster.

For special occasions, I carry the Springfield EMP IWB in a K&D Holster "Thunderbird Defender" in the same appendix carry position (1-2 o'clock). I can't say enough about the quality and craftsmanship that you get with K&D! I highly recommend them for anyone wanting a custom leather rig. I recently ordered a "Thunderbird Maverick" for my Glock 27 as well as a leather carry belt from K&D. The Maverick looks like a great choice for anyone that prefers to "appendix carry" because it can be worn with a nuetral cant. The cant is actually fully adjustable and it's made to be worn either IWB or OWB/Under the Belt. I'll let you know how I like the holster and the belt when I receive them (K&D currently has an 8-10 week wait). An interesting fact.....Kevin, the owner of K&D Holster, uses the Maverick as his personal carry holster of choice.

Around the house or working around on my property, I usually choose to carry my old faithful "beater gun"......a Taurus Ultra-Lite 85 .38 snubby in a belly band with an extra speedloader. This is the gun that I can depend on to go "Bang" when I need it to, but also one that I don't mind sweating on or getting scratched. I'm thinking of ordering an Aholster pocket holster for it so I can put it in my pocket if I want to. I also use this gun as my BUG occasionally and I believe the Aholster pocket holster will work very well for this purpose.

Ok, now it's your turn ladies! Let's hear what and how you carry! :D

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lizarita

I am (im)patiently waiting for my HCP so I'm not "carrying" at the moment. My sweet boyfriend-Memphis_Malachi-got me a .40 M&P subcompact for Christmas (shocked the hell out of me!) and I LOVE it. I've shot his .40XD several times and rented guns from our local range but nothing "fit" me like the M&P does.

Since I don't have my HCP yet, I haven't gotten a holster or any other carrying method so I need some suggestions. What works for US!?

Awesome choice on the M&P! You have a great BF!!! :)

Do you have any particular carry setup in mind Lizarita? How you carry your M&P will really depend on what your normal daily dress will be.

It seems to me that many females prefer the appendix carry (1-2 o'clock if your right handed) position with a nuetral cant which I talked about in the OP. This seems to work best for us for comfort and concealment purposes. The natural shape of our upper body usually "blouses" our shirt out in front, which will completely hide any bulge in that area.

Many holster manufacturers are making holsters now especially for this type of carry, with the female body shape in mind. If you can wear a belt with your normal clothing, I'd definitely recommend a good nuetral cant (straight up and down) IWB (Inside Waistband) holster. The Comp-Tac Minotaur nuetral carry holster I mentioned above works well, as does the Kholster. I've adjusted my Kholster so that it has a neutral cant and I wear it appendix carry style.

I am having trouble with my Minotaur holster staying in place on my belt because of the kydex clips......but I think I know what my problem is. Right now, I'm wearing a cheap Walmart leather belt that is just too thin and way too flexible. It's also not quite as wide as it should be.....it's 1.25" and the clips are made for a 1.5" belt. I've ordered a K&D 1.5" gun belt and I think that will solve my problem when I get it.

If you are going to carry a holster on a belt, I highly advise you to order a good gun belt to go with your holster. They're thicker and they will carry the weight of the holster and gun (and accessories like mag pouches) much better than a cheap one will.....not to mention they'll last a lot longer and look nicer too.

Guest lizarita

Awesome info Mama! Thank you! I, too have a cheap Wal-Mart belt so I was thinking that whatever I carry, I will have to get a thicker more supportive belt.

The BF has a middle of the back paddle (I'm sure there's a technical word for it but I don't know what it is!) that I've been carrying in around the house and it's comfortable. But when I sit down and get back up, it tends to come out.

And as far as the "blousing" in front? Yeah-totally got that covered! lol

Thanks for the info!

Guest jackdm3

Writing this for my wife who isn't a member here. She started off with an appropriate gun belt and a Kydex for her SIG239. She quickly went to a Roma gun purse (Romagunbags.com) which I have to admit is an absolutely awesome creation. It situates the hidden gun in the middle of two compartments, with a place for an extra mag. I don't like that she carries a purse that will be ripped/cut off her in a quick. I wish she would go back to waist carry, but she says this way gives her more options and allows her to wear tight tops and jeans.:cool:

Guest lizarita
I don't like that she carries a purse that will be ripped/cut off her in a quick. I wish she would go back to waist carry, but she says this way gives her more options and allows her to wear tight tops and jeans.:cool:

Purse carry isn't an option for me. Neither is tight tops and jeans :screwy:

Guest Memphis_Malachi

Well I guess my first response to this is I have grown kinda fond of the M&P that I am getting to carry, While she waits on her HCP. Going to be a sad day when I have to give it up. Second the middle of the back holster she is speaking of is the Blackhawk sock. I am interested in shopping for her holster to see how concealed we can get it. I will say that Packinmama has gotten me very interested in the Belly Band.

And we have talked about the different options of carry and purse carry just isn't and option for us, albeit might work for others, it just doesn't fit her lifestyle. just my:2cents:

Well I guess my first response to this is I have grown kinda fond of the M&P that I am getting to carry, While she waits on her HCP. Going to be a sad day when I have to give it up. Second the middle of the back holster she is speaking of is the Blackhawk sock. I am interested in shopping for her holster to see how concealed we can get it. I will say that Packinmama has gotten me very interested in the Belly Band.

And we have talked about the different options of carry and purse carry just isn't and option for us, albeit might work for others, it just doesn't fit her lifestyle. just my:2cents:

Now don't get too attached to that M&P Memphis! I don't think your girlfriend would be very happy with you....unless you get her another one of course! :P

Yes, I'm a big fan of belly bands. A big advantage when using a belly band is that you don't have to dress around them. You could be wearing anything from a dress to a pants suit to jeans and a blouse, to shorts and a t-shirt......and be completely, comfortably, and securely concealed in all of them. :P

Guest lizarita
Now don't get too attached to that M&P Memphis! I don't think your girlfriend would be very happy with you....unless you get her another one of course! :popcorn:

TOO LATE! He is carrying it full-time now. It's gonna suck for him when I get my HCP and he's gotta give it up! LOL!!

Guest Angel 24/7

I keep a Kel tec in my pocket. I also get froggy sometimes and carry my S&W M&P9, on my hip at 4 oclock inside waist band.

Also no tight shirts!

Hi Angel! It's good to see that you're still around! :rofl:

I'm wanting to get a pocket carry BUG like a Kel-Tec .380, Ruger LCP, or Sig 238. I really would prefer the Kel-Tec PF9 because of the larger caliber (and it's much easier to find 9mm ammo than .380), but I've found that even though they're really thin, they're still a bit large to comfortably conceal in my front jeans pocket. I wish .380 ammo would become easier to find.....that would help my decision.

I've tried to pocket carry an ultra-lite .38 snubbie, but they're also too big to conceal in my jeans (for me anyway).

Guest Angel 24/7

Yep, still around! I usually read under Xdshooters name, Because he likes to hog the computer! I've been trying to keep up. My job is very demanding.

So I love my little bug. I have only shot it a couple times, so the amount of ammo I need for it is not an issue. I keep it loaded with hollow points,and in my pocket. Shooting it was not the most comfortable but, if needed it is realible! I would much rather go shoot my 9mm. for fun or xdshooters AR-15. I keep trying to claim it!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 1817ak47
I keep a Kel tec in my pocket. I also get froggy sometimes and carry my S&W M&P9, on my hip at 4 oclock inside waist band.

Also no tight shirts!

what kind of kel-tec??

Ladies,

I am sorry to hijack your thread.

I have 2 daughters, my oldest is 17 disabled and plans on going to college next year. Her disability includes a left side weakness, which renders her left hand virtually non-usable. She also has optic nerve damage and she is unable to close one eye when aiming.

In the past she has really only enjoyed shooting my 22 rifle which I would prop up on a table. Yesterday I took her to a local range, just her and I (usally take both), and work with her using a rental snubbie 38. After a few rounds of being very timid, almost to the point of tears, she started getting the hang of it and started to enjoy shooting the 38. She can only use her right hand when shooting. I was constantly encouraging her and telling her how proud I was of her. She shot about 40 rounds. She got 4 or her last 5 rounds within the 8 circle at 7 yards. I also worked with her on opening the cylinder, loading and closing. She was able to do it all. Because of her disability she can not load an automatic magazine nor operate the slide, so an automatic is not an option.

My question to you all is 2 fold. Do you think that I should stick with a 38 for her or look at a 32? Also any recommendations on 32's or 38's?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Guest 1817ak47

any women have expdrience with shooting a bersa 9mm or kel-tec 9mm??? I am wanting to sell the bersa 380 that i bought for my wife and get a smaller 9 due to the vast differnce in power, I am curious though how managable one is to shoot

Ladies,

I am sorry to hijack your thread.

I have 2 daughters, my oldest is 17 disabled and plans on going to college next year. Her disability includes a left side weakness, which renders her left hand virtually non-usable. She also has optic nerve damage and she is unable to close one eye when aiming.

In the past she has really only enjoyed shooting my 22 rifle which I would prop up on a table. Yesterday I took her to a local range, just her and I (usally take both), and work with her using a rental snubbie 38. After a few rounds of being very timid, almost to the point of tears, she started getting the hang of it and started to enjoy shooting the 38. She can only use her right hand when shooting. I was constantly encouraging her and telling her how proud I was of her. She shot about 40 rounds. She got 4 or her last 5 rounds within the 8 circle at 7 yards. I also worked with her on opening the cylinder, loading and closing. She was able to do it all. Because of her disability she can not load an automatic magazine nor operate the slide, so an automatic is not an option.

My question to you all is 2 fold. Do you think that I should stick with a 38 for her or look at a 32? Also any recommendations on 32's or 38's?

Thanks for your time and advice.

I'd stick with the .38 if it's manageable for her. The lightweight models are easier to carry comfortably, but they will have more recoil than the heavier steel frame snubbies. Low recoil .38 ammo is available though. I bought some Federal Nyclad low recoil .38 hp's for my 80 yr. old mother and she can handle shooting them just fine.

I like the S&W Airweight models like the 442 or 642, but I also really like the less expensive Taurus Ultra-Lites. If she is recoil sensitive and doesn't mind a heavier gun, both S&W and Taurus offer all steel frame models....and the Ruger SP-101 is a great all steel revolver as well.

If I were going to look at any other caliber in a revolver for her (if this is for self defense purposes), I'd look at 9mm. I believe S&W, Taurus, Ruger, & Charter Arms all make, or have made, revolvers in 9mm. The recoil of a 9mm would be considerably less than the .38's....especially in a lightweight model.

Good luck finding something that works for her, and let us know what you wind up getting! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice PackinMama. I looked into the 9mm revolvers but I don't think it will work because she would need to pre-load the rounds into the clips and that seems that it would be difficult with her disability. I am really leaning towards a Taurus 851 for her. I thought about the 651 but I think the lighter 851 would be better for her. I will let you know how it turns out.

My daughter is all on board for this, but my wife is a little apprehensive. I just can't get her to the range. Both of my daughters enjoy going.

Thanks for the advice PackinMama. I looked into the 9mm revolvers but I don't think it will work because she would need to pre-load the rounds into the clips and that seems that it would be difficult with her disability. I am really leaning towards a Taurus 851 for her. I thought about the 651 but I think the lighter 851 would be better for her. I will let you know how it turns out.

My daughter is all on board for this, but my wife is a little apprehensive. I just can't get her to the range. Both of my daughters enjoy going.

I'm glad I could offer you some advice and I think that Taurus 851 is a great choice! ;)

However, I have to ask......why would you have to preload rounds into clips on a 9mm revolver? Am I missing something or did you think I was talking about a 9mm semi-auto? Do the 9mm revolvers load differently than any other revolver? :death:

I'm glad I could offer you some advice and I think that Taurus 851 is a great choice! :P

However, I have to ask......why would you have to preload rounds into clips on a 9mm revolver? Am I missing something or did you think I was talking about a 9mm semi-auto? Do the 9mm revolvers load differently than any other revolver? :)

Based on my research, since the 9mm round does not have the necessary rim to be held correctly inside a revolver it has to held in with a clip. You can check this site The Next Chapter: Smith & Wesson Model 940 9mm Revolver

Hmmmm.....learn something new every day! I never thought about the 9mm not having that rim on the edge to hold it into the cylinder of a revolver. I've never used moon clips, but I can tell you that I definitely don't like the idea of HAVING to use them in the 9mm revolvers. Based on that info, I wouldn't want one either.

Thanks for the info Cajunpredfan! Be sure to let us know what you wind up getting for your daughter and how she likes it! :D

I carry a Glock 26, 9mm, subcompact, only when I go food shopping, never around our property. I use a fanny pack, with the pouch in the front. I have the pistol in the compartment next to my body, then a wallet, glasses, and pen in the main compartment. This way I do not have to carry a handbag when shopping, which is great as I tend to wander off in the aisles and leave the bag in the cart, and that is an accident waiting to happen. The first time I carried this way I thought I would be very self-conscious but this was not the case. I have tried using holsters but do feel selfconscious in public.

Using the fanny pack may mean a slower accessability to the pistol if needed but no one sees it this way and at least I have it if needed.

Nancy