Ladies Only - What are you Carrying and How?

Guest Tiki Jane

Hi. I'm new here. I don't carry much because I'm still trying to find a rig that works. I have a Taurus Pro Mil PT 145 and a Charter Arms .38 revolver. I do have a ccw leather purse, but it's heavy. I recently got a belly band from the NRA store. The .45 won't work in it, but the .38 does.

I'm up for suggestions on better ideas. I don't like purse carry either and I don't wear tight clothes!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to TGO Tiki Jane! :rofl:

Belly bands generally work better with lightweight guns. Heavier guns tend to make them sag where the gun is. Is that the problem with carrying your PT 145 in yours? If so, let me ask you this.....How wide is your belly band? For heavier guns, the wider belly bands work much better. I can carry my G27 in a 5"-6" band without it sagging on me. If I try to carry it in my 4" band, it sags. The wider bands can support a heavier gun without the sagging problem. The 4" bands are only good for really lightweight guns like the airweight snubbies or maybe the tiniest autos like the Kel-Tecs or LCP's.

You said you don't wear tight clothes, so that's a good start for concealed carry. Do you wear a belt? If you do, or if that could be an option for you, I'd wholeheartedly recommend a good IWB holster for carrying your PT 145. There's a lot of good ones to choose from. I personally like the Kholsters for a low cost leather/kydex hybrid. If you want to spend a little more and get a good leather IWB holster, I'd go with K&D Holster. Those two are just my personal favorites though....there are many good choices out there.

I'd probably be able to help you more if I knew exactly how you prefer to dress. Comfortable concealed carry depends greatly on what you wear. I used to wear mostly stretchy pants with no belt loops, which limited me to belly bands or the like. I decided to change my dress to jeans so I could wear a belt and a holster......and I am very glad I did! Now I can carry whichever gun I want with no problem whatsoever.

I'm extremely happy to hear that you're wanting to get away from carrying in your purse........VERY good idea! ;)

Guest Tiki Jane

I got this band from the NRA store last summer. It's 5" wide, made by WRB. What seems to be the problem is that the Mil Pro has a shorter barrel, and I get to the trigger before the gun is really secure in the pocket. The real problem is that I don't know what I'm doing. I looked at a picture of my band with the gun secured and they've got the gun tucked in completely with the trigger mech also snuggly within the elastic pocket. Do I just need to work it in there and get the elastic pocket to stretch to accomodate it?

I'm also a teacher, so I'm not "allowed" to carry my weapon on me, nor can I have it in my vehicle. I hate that especially because I have a pretty fair commute. That's one reason I haven't really sat down and worked out how to carry effectively.

I did check out Kholster and K&D. That looks like a good option, too.

Thanks!!!

Edited by Tiki Jane

So you are probably looking for deep concealment options.

I'd stick with a belly band for that. The only other thing that works well for deep concealment is Smartcarry. It's similar to a belly band, but it's designed to be worn under your pants and low. It has two pockets, one for the gun and another for a spare mag or two.

You might also want to think about getting a different gun for those times when deep concealment is called for. The PT 145 is a great gun, but a little bit thick. You might want to consider something thinner and lighter like a Kel Tec PF9, Kahr PM9, or possibly the new Taurus PT708 Slim.

Sounds like you just need to force your PT145 into your belly band to make it fit (try it unloaded or unchambered to start with). It will stretch out and be easier to get in there after a while.

Guest Tiki Jane

I know I need to get an "official" ruling on this, but I read over Title 39, Ch 17, Sec 13 of the TN statutes and my reading is that I may have my weapon on school grounds as long as it it locked up in my vehicle. Does anyone have any other insight or comments?

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

If I am interpreting this paragraph in sub section © correctly, I feel much better. At least I'd have some protection to and from work should the need arise. My Taurus is now snug in the belly band, getting it 'stretched out' and broken in.

I am really glad to have come across TGO, but I feel really stupid for not researching all of this much earlier.

Edited by Tiki Jane
Guest dizzielizzie

I'm hoping this thread isn't "dead"... I have been away from TGO for a while because I started a new job and am not allowed to carry at work. :screwy:

When I do carry, I have my Kahr MK9 in a Kramer IWB in the lady's preferred 1-2 o'clock position. I am fortunate to have an "hourglass" figure and loose shirts cover it nicely. I don't have any other carry weapons (yet) as I am totally in love with my "little baby".

I hope all of you ladies here on TGO, old friends & new, are doing well! And a big "good job!" to you new ladies who have braved through it all to obtain your HCP, and to those who haven't gotten there yet, what are you waiting for?!

Guest SigGrl

I've been away for a bit too. I'm getting a new carry soon, a Tarus Slim. I plan on using a Crossbreed Supertuck at 4 o'clock. I'm really looking forward to it. It's smaller (slimmer) than my Sig 225, so I'm expecting it to carry better.

Guest SigGrl
Glad to see you're still with us SigGrl! :slap:

The Taurus Slim is actually one that I've been interested in checking out. Let us know what you think of it!

Will do! I just hope it gets warm enough to get out to the range soon!!

Ladies, posting for my wife ...

She decided on the Taurus 709 Slim. (I learned {the hard way, years ago} to let her make up her own mind on things that SHE would be using {as in automobiles, etc.} ... )

Long story short: Couple of hundred rounds, first trip to the range today ... functioned flawlessly. No FTF, no FTE ... with 4 brands of cheap ammo, worked perfectly each and every time. She did pretty dog-gone good after a grip adjustment (understandable considering she's used to plinking with my .22). The 9mm recoil did become a bit of an issue for her after 100 rounds or so, but she wanted to finish 200 rounds on her first day out with it.

She says it's a "keeper." FWIW, I was suitably impressed with her range work, with the little Taurus, and with her in general ... I mean, really ... first trip out with a tiny little 9mm, and no gripes or complaints. She did GOOD !!

PackinMama, I haven't compared them side-by-side, but the "technical info" from the web-sites of each give dimensions as follows:

Width: Taurus 709 = (frame) .961" (frame) .95"

Glock 26/27= 1.18"

And yeah ... she did good. She's shot everything I own except the .45 (which I can't get her to try). She says the smaller grip of the 709 "feels" better than anything else she's tried, and given that she's used to .22's, she did really well yesterday with the 9mm. I put one clip through it, at her request, first. It's not bad for a small 9, but it's a lot worse than she's used to. Not sure what has motivated her, but now, she's actively shopping for "her" holster, and is leaning for a belt carry. Think that'll be okay, as she normally wears a jacket to work. Days off, she may need to follow your advice with a Kolster or belly band.

PackinMama, I haven't compared them side-by-side, but the "technical info" from the web-sites of each give dimensions as follows:

Width: Taurus 709 = (frame) .961" (frame) .95"

Glock 26/27= 1.18"

And yeah ... she did good. She's shot everything I own except the .45 (which I can't get her to try). She says the smaller grip of the 709 "feels" better than anything else she's tried, and given that she's used to .22's, she did really well yesterday with the 9mm. I put one clip through it, at her request, first. It's not bad for a small 9, but it's a lot worse than she's used to. Not sure what has motivated her, but now, she's actively shopping for "her" holster, and is leaning for a belt carry. Think that'll be okay, as she normally wears a jacket to work. Days off, she may need to follow your advice with a Kolster or belly band.

Thanks for finding the dimensions for me. So it is quite a little bit slimmer than the Glock. I'd like to check one out and see how it fits my hand. Probably won't be buying one for a while since I just got a great deal on a Kel Tec P11. I've been wanting a cheap, light, & slim 9mm to carry when I'm working around the property in the summer time. The Kel Tec should fit that bill pretty well.

Pm me if you decide to go with a Kholster. I'll give you a code for a 10% rebate. :D

Edited by PackinMama
Guest blackbeltchick

I bought a Cobra B Bore 38 special for Valetines and it's great for concealing but I didn't like how it shot. My husband said he wouldn't admit to buying a Cobra but I thought it would be a good back up, wrong. I wouldn't recommend this gun for anyone, not even for back up. That's what I get for not catching any of the hints my husband said he was trying to give me at the time.

Hello Ladies,

Been awhile since I posted...

I'm carrying a M&P9c IWB using a Crossbreed SuperTuck. I spend a lot of time traveling between Memphis, Chattanooga and Knoxville. I've also been sticking it into a Nemesis pocket holster and tucked into a little over-shoulder sling bag. It's a little big for my pocket (I'm 5' 2") but it can be done if I'm wearing a hoodie.

I bought my hubby a 642 for his pocket carry and he's using the Nemesis as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ncissig

Hi! I am new to carrying and actually need all the help I can get. My husband and I will be taking our HCP class (hopefully) very soon. I own a Sig P239 9mm and plan on carrying IWB or perhaps bellyband. I by no means have a slim shape but I don't waddle when I walk either. :) I suppose you could say that I am round. Having two children can do that to a body... Anyone else in the same boat? What works for you? Are the bellybands incredibly hot in the summer? Thanks in advance!

Guest blackbeltchick

I've been wearing my P-32 everyday and my RIA 1911 Compact stays by my side as well. It doesn't hurt to have back up!!

Hi! I am new to carrying and actually need all the help I can get. My husband and I will be taking our HCP class (hopefully) very soon. I own a Sig P239 9mm and plan on carrying IWB or perhaps bellyband. I by no means have a slim shape but I don't waddle when I walk either. :) I suppose you could say that I am round. Having two children can do that to a body... Anyone else in the same boat? What works for you? Are the bellybands incredibly hot in the summer? Thanks in advance!

As a matter of fact, I am in the same round boat as you. :rofl: I wear a belly band in the summer mainly for working and playing around my house and property. We live in a very rural area and there are Copperheads, Coyotes, Bears, and you just never know about the two-legged critters either. The police are far away, so the law has to be taken into your own hands if necessary out here.

The belly bands are a little hot, but not unbearable at all. However, You will sweat on them and if your gun is susceptible to rust, it most likely will. You can try following a nightly oil and wipe down regimen.....but that has never worked with me. When you're a mom with a little one, there is just no time for such sillyness! :rofl:

So, my solution is one of two things: Get a gun that is made from Titanium, or just get a cheap but dependable lightweight gun (like the Kel Tecs) that you really don't care if a little rust develops on. I'm carrying a KelTec P11 that I recently acquired and it's already started rusting on the slide. I think I might check into getting it duracoated or something of that nature to prevent the rust. I was carrying a Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite .38 and it didn't rust, but it turned a blackish color around the edges of the frame. I was told by Taurus that it wouldn't hurt it a bit.....it was purely cosmetic....so I never worried about it. The barrel, cylinder, trigger, hammer, and internals were as shiny as new.....it was just discolored on the frame. I'm thinking the frame was multi-alloy and the other parts were Titanium??? I'm not sure though.

If you do go with a belly band, the very best advice I can give you is to get a 4" one (not as hot as the 5-6" ones), and use a very thin and lightweight gun in it.....Like a lightweight revolver or maybe the PF9 or P3AT. My P11 is a little thicker than the PF9 and it is almost too heavy for my 4" band when I carry a spare mag with it. The thicker bands are good for holding up more weight, but you pay in discomfort and sweat....in the summer anyway.

I'm going to start looking for my summer wardrobe right away. I want to find some nice jeans shorts with pockets and belt loops so I can wear my OWB holsters when I go out under a loose t-shirt. I'm hoping to keep the rust off them better that way. But around the property, I'll still be wearing my belly band. My P11 might need a refinishing by the end of the summer.....but so be it.

Btw, ncissig, Welcome to the forum!!! :) I'm sorry it took me a while to respond, but I've been down and out with a nasty flu virus since last Friday. :devil:

ok... I bit the bullet and had to get the SA 1911 mil spec. It just FELT like heaven in my hand... oh and the bulleyes.....

So now, I'm trying to figure out if I should stick with my M&P9c for CCW or figure out how to carry the 1911... I was able to find a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 right hand IWB... I haven't really tested it out much. Any other ideas? I'm very good with the 9c, but lethal with 1911....